Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

Re: Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, etc...

Good point, forgot about the aspect of internal mounting of the mics. Do you do that? How do you like it? I'm thinking about it. I've had great mics of my own in the past when I played out on tour, but as of the past few years, I sold most of my microphones and processing and just let whoever was mic'ing the kit to slap a mic in the small hole I have in the front head. It gets a great sound, but an internal mic sounds cool too.

Here are the inside mics for DW Drums

My opinion is that miking a open BassDrum or through holes gives not a very good sound. Or if so, there are two mics needed - one also for the batter head from behind. Best sound in my opinion - this fat sound - is achieved by taking the Sound from the closed fronthead.

Anyway: taking mic sound is only a general source for the definitive mixing on the board - there you can get every sound you want.

Bernhard

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,815

I would agree with you about the quality of sound with the internal miking system being better, it makes sense, but if that's the case, why don't you see it used more often? On TV shows, live concerts, recording sessions, the bass drum is miked through a small hole in the front of the drum 99% of the time. Your thoughts??

cdrums21 said:
I would agree with you about the quality of sound with the internal miking system being better, it makes sense, but if that's the case, why don't you see it used more often? On TV shows, live concerts, recording sessions, the bass drum is miked through a small hole in the front of the drum 99% of the time. Your thoughts??

..will change very soon. Is not state of the art anymore.

Bernhard

I hope you're right...I love the sound of the kick with a full front head! So much bigger and more powerful!

The only person I can think of on TV that doesnt have an internal mic is Max Weinberg.

max_Weinberg2.jpg

I was reading that having a hole in your kick drum helps air escape more easily from the drum and i'm finding that my pedal is bouncing off of the batter head more then once everytime i hit it. Would putting a hole in the reso head help with that?

Yes it would. My pedal beater is harder to control with a full front head on. It wants to bounce off the batter head a little more rather than laying into it.

well, i'm a big fan of the hole in the reso head, it really helps the bounce back and also lets you adjust whatever you have inside the bass head, or take it out altogether, without removing the actual head. as for how i cut mine, my mother does Creative Memories scrapbooking, and they actually have numerous tools for cutting circles out of photos in various sizes. I used the tool that was basically a circular track that a special razor mounted on, and cut along the track. Absolutely perfect circle, no flaws, i've had it for over a year and no tears to date.

jeb

Hey, what about a reso head with 2 holes in the bottom corners of the head? I recently ordered a kit with the 2 holes in the lower corners. I prob still have time to change it to one hole. I am looking for a really loud bass drum that cuts through the mix. If two holes takes away from the volume, then I'll go with one.

What are the facts of two holes? Does it make that much a difference than one hole?

Also they are 5" so not too big either.

Would it be better to cut a hole in the resonant head if the bass drum has muffling or not?

I have a Mapex Pro M 2006 kit and it sounds amazing. It didn't come with a hole, I first wanted to cut one in there, but I can't part with the sound it gives me; so much warmth, so much boom, so much maple resonation, gets you right in the guts. Although, I had to learn to play with my beater off the drum without using the heel down technique cuz I play rock head so it resonates to its full potential, cuz if you got no hole and you leave your beater on the bass drum, you're choking it and muffling it so if you play with the beater on the bass drum better off with a whole cuz you won't get a nice sound with no hole resonant head by leaving the beater on.

no hole is awesome, but the rebound may be a bitch at first...

could you cut a port in an aquarian regulator reso head?you can buy em with the whole pre-cut but i have holz and they dont do 4 3/4 inch rings.so i may order one without and cut it myself??

I use a resonant head with no hole. I love the sound. I play rock, funk, R&B, blues and New orleans secpnd line. I agree that the sound can be too boomy so I have been using a Remo Mufflz tone control ring on the resonant side (a foam ring held against the inside of the head by a plastic collar that goes over the bearing edge before you put the head on). This leaves it full sounding but cuts down the ring to a manageable level. To move the air and get the beater to strike properly, I started using the Evans vented head on the batter side. It has tiny holes all around the perimeter of the head. It is a very fat sound, and I don't have any problems with the beater bouncing around on the imapct pad because the vents in the batter head give a good enough amount of room for the air to escape. Finally, regarding mike placement: the batter side gets miked. I love the sound and this is the way I fly after many different combinations over the years.

Regarding the hot coffee can. I don't know if anyone mentioned this but usually you get some stringy pieces of melted pastic adhering to the can when you take it off. It's a good idea to use some sandpaper to clear that stuff away. But as I say, I no longer get involved in this.

Regards,

Gary
Dix Hills, NY

well, i'm a big fan of the hole in the reso head, it really helps the bounce back and also lets you adjust whatever you have inside the bass head, or take it out altogether, without removing the actual head. as for how i cut mine, my mother does Creative Memories scrapbooking, and they actually have numerous tools for cutting circles out of photos in various sizes. I used the tool that was basically a circular track that a special razor mounted on, and cut along the track. Absolutely perfect circle, no flaws, i've had it for over a year and no tears to date.

jeb

I do the same thing and it works great!

KickHole2.jpg
KickHole1-1.jpg

What ever you do, do not cut a hole in the head while the head is attached.

I was doing a great job. When the blade got to the nearest edge, it just slit open all the way to the outer edge of the head.

The good news is that it looks so bad now, that my wife made me buy a pair of new ported regulators!

I use a resonant head with no hole. I love the sound. I play rock, funk, R&B, blues and New orleans secpnd line. I agree that the sound can be too boomy so I have been using a Remo Mufflz tone control ring on the resonant side (a foam ring held against the inside of the head by a plastic collar that goes over the bearing edge before you put the head on). This leaves it full sounding but cuts down the ring to a manageable level. To move the air and get the beater to strike properly, I started using the Evans vented head on the batter side. It has tiny holes all around the perimeter of the head. It is a very fat sound, and I don't have any problems with the beater bouncing around on the imapct pad because the vents in the batter head give a good enough amount of room for the air to escape. Finally, regarding mike placement: the batter side gets miked. I love the sound and this is the way I fly after many different combinations over the years.

Regarding the hot coffee can. I don't know if anyone mentioned this but usually you get some stringy pieces of melted pastic adhering to the can when you take it off. It's a good idea to use some sandpaper to clear that stuff away. But as I say, I no longer get involved in this.

Regards,

Gary
Dix Hills, NY

Cheers, mate. I play similar music with my band, and I have a set up where I use the kick with no hole on the resonant head. To cut the boom, I use Simon Philips' method of dampening: just a rolled up towel taped to the drum's wall on the batter side. Would like to use the holed-up Evans batter head for one, though.
The funk is the king.

Cutting a hole in the back i think really helps the sound and cuts out this 'boom' everyone's mentioning, but never cut it in the center all the air just sods off out the back and kills the natural resonance of the shell.
Nad with regards to dampening just buy an emad2 a beautiful head which fits many (not all) musics. And it can make a cheap bass sound stonking.

I have three holes going vertically on the right side for the head and alot of duck tape. hey, it works.

Back