Electronic Genre Drumming on Acoustic Kit

I've just started playing stuff with my band that's emulating electronica.

I'm trying to think of ways to keep the drumming interesting while maintaining a four on the floor rave-ish type feel but whenever I stray from playing 16th notes on the hat while opening it on every 'and' it sounds kind of dumb... It seems like the only way I can do anything interesting that doesn't sound out of place is dropping notes out of the 16th's rotation... Does anyone know of any drummers that play electronic music acoustically? I'm having a hard time trying to duplicate stuff that was made with machines so it'd be cool to see some people actually playing it on real drum sets.

Also, are there any (preferably temporary) tricks to making my drums sound more electronic without actually changing out major pieces of equipment? So far I've only tried putting stuff on my snare drum head to give it a snappier sound.

Sorry if this question seems really strange... I just feel kind of lost in the sense that I can't find a lot of material on the subject. I'm pretty new to playing/listening to electronic music so I feel like I need some direction.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that I'm not really looking for DnB type stuff.

Last edited:
Try looking at the drummer from a band called "Kudu"... They are from the Boston area. Probably some clips on youtube. I think that drummer (I can't remember his name right now) also does some work for Me'Shell N'degiacello as well. Very much an acoustic electronica band though.

EDIT:

Also, check out a group called "Jazzanova".

Take some tips from Jojo Mayer (couldn't we all) and check out the drummer from London Elektricity. They do basically the same stuff you're looking at.

Check out Tony Verderosa. He has a Electronic drumming DVD out, but I haven't seen it. Looks like it deals with alot of triggering which would be more than you're looking for right now.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tony_Verderosa.html

I saw a vid once of him playing with Underworld and that looks pretty much like what you're talking about.

How to get a more electronic sound out of drums is a good quesion. Not sure how without spending the bucks for a triggering system. there is this Simmons add on for about $300. It is some bucks but there's probably tons of different sounds in that brain.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-Electronic-Hybrid-Kit?sku=500928

If you want an electronic sound whilst still keeping it acoustic, meinl make these little cymbal thingies that are like 6" and you can duck tape them on to your snare head to make it sound a little more electro, kinda cool really.

I think you'll be looking to drop a fair amount of cash (minimum of $1200-1500) into this venture. Pavlos mentioned Tony Verderosa, whom I've seen several times live. Amazing stuff, he does, but his rig is probably $10K.

Try looking at the drummer from a band called "Kudu"... They are from the Boston area. Probably some clips on youtube. I think that drummer (I can't remember his name right now) also does some work for Me'Shell N'degiacello as well. Very much an acoustic electronica band though.

EDIT:

Also, check out a group called "Jazzanova".

Deantoni Parks is drummer for Kudu, and indeed has an electro feeling. Check out the songs Sloganeer : Paradise, and Article 3 from Meshell Ndgeocello latest album.

Check out a British band called Stateless. Their drummer does some cool 5/4 rythms sounding very electronic.

Try out some tricks like putting your bottom hat or a small china on your floor tom.

the band "mute math" to me is an example of a band that plays electronic music with an acoustic drummer (darren king). when i first head their recordings i was sure i was hearing programmed drum tracks, until i saw them live and saw darren playing everything on his kit just like the recordings.

Back