Vocal Harmonies!!!!

ryanlikealion

I sometimes get side tracked from drumming and fantasise about being a singer. I'm craving vocal harmonies at the moment.

Can anyone recommend some good vocal harmony listening??? I'm looking for ideas for a side project. I'm open minded to any ideas and am willing to take influence from any era (be it contempory or ancient), style (folk/jazz/world music.)

Thanks

Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0O8wTzvIc

B e a utiful!!!!! song. We played a concert band version of this piece at our area all state concert. My god, its so powerful. The harmonies are amazing!!!!!!! especially the ending. However, one needs patience to listen to this type of stuff.

On another note, try to get a hold of a recording by the a capella group "Take 6." They do a little something with a song called "seven steps to heaven." Sooooo good. The bass singers actually sound like bass guitars. really good stuff.

Thanks for these replies. Not spent a great deal of time listening to Iron Maiden so im going to look into it. I lve the beach boys already - apparently there is a version of pet sounds without any instrumentation on it.

These are interesting suggestions - keep them coming!

Jimmy Eat World usually have some nice harmonies going on

Ralph Vaughan Williams Mass. Just do it. I listened to the Halle Choir (my girlfriend is in the choir) perform this a couple of weeks ago and it blew my mind.

The beatles are the first pop band that come into my mind. Also, every single choir in the world.

Queen
Boys To Men
Backstreet Boys _ Sorry
98 Degrees
Lady Smith Black Mambazo

You should check out A Perfect Circle, their vocalist is pretty great. He's now become a somewhat arrogant person though, rather hate him, I miss the old Maynard, back when he didnt seem to give a crap. Also check out the bands Incubus and The Mars Volta (But only their first album though; "De-loused in the Comatorium") TMV's vocalist is quite amazing, especially in that album too.

I sometimes get side tracked from drumming and fantasise about being a singer. I'm craving vocal harmonies at the moment.
Can anyone recommend some good vocal harmony listening???Thanks
Ryan

We play some Boston & some Foreigner oldies.
They sound good......but took some work from us to get good vocals.

Styx always had great vocal harmonies and could pull them off live. The Temptations, Isley Brothers, Those 70's guys groups: Four Tops, O'jays, Chi Lites, Commodores, Earth Wind and Fire, all those great doo wop groups from the late 50s early 60s: Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, The Coasters, The Drifters, The Platters, Little Anthony, Crosby Still and Nash, The Eagles, Ricky Skaggs or any blue grass. I forgot The Mamas and the Papas.

Last edited:
I'm going to second the Beach Boys and The Beatles. There is also a version of Pet Sounds that includes all of the tracking. The Making of Pet Sounds. It is really cool to hear those songs being built. It may be helpful to you to hear how he adds harmonies as he goes along in the recording process. And as for the Jimmy Eat World post, you can't go wrong with their album Clarity.

Last edited:
Back