Hi-Hat Stands

Aw, man, soft and mushy is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! :( Karl, is that how you'd describe the Gibraltar?

I thought the feel of the Gibraltar could get quite robust. It depends on where the spring is set. On the lower tension, yeah, it would feel very "easy". I never had it on a low setting because I don't like a soft feel on pedals.

I like the look of those 9000 pedals, but they feel too soft to me (it's the moving spring mechanism at the base), but if you like the 9000 bass drum pedal, then you might like the hat stand. You'll just have to spend the extra dough.
I'd say, factor everything in--yes, including how you feel looking at it (haha!)--and see if it's worth the extra amount.

Well, I have the straps on my 9000 pedals but I'm not looking for the same experience on the hats, so I will continue with that 3-step thing. Thanks everybody, and feel free to chime in with any more info.

Not a 2 leg, but I use a 30+ year old Olympic (Premier) Direct Drive hi hat pedal. I absolutely love the thing!!!

I have owned about 11 hi-hat stands since 1970.
I currently own 5.
They are of all different makes, price ranges, sizes, features, etc.
They all work fine and I have no problem using any one of them.
I don't even have a favorite hat stand from any that I own.
If they lift the top cymbal then I am happy.
I never give my hat stand much thought unless it won't lift the top pie.

Well, after trying the Iron Cobra, 9000, 5000, and a few assorted budget ones, of course I ended up with the walletbuster 9000. The Cobra felt exactly like my current one, the 5000 actually felt nicer than expected, but the 9000 ended up feeling just right. I'll update with some impressions once I'm home and have tested it. I also picked up a Gibraltar Quick-Release clutch.

If I end up not liking the 9000, then I suppose the Gibraltar and the Yamaha (possibly an Axis too) are my remaining options.

Thanks for all your responses & help!

Did you get another opportunity to sit down with the Falcon? Just Curious...I like the look and adjustability of them, but haven't found one to put my foot to. I have the Falcon single bass pedal, and love it!!

Did you get another opportunity to sit down with the Falcon? Just Curious...I like the look and adjustability of them, but haven't found one to put my foot to. I have the Falcon single bass pedal, and love it!!

You know, I couldn't find any. They just came out this year but I doubt I'd be able to find any anyways, given that I can barely find the kick pedals anywhere. I very much trust Mapex with this, since I think some of their new Falcon hardware is (in theory) the best in the industry. The DW5000, though it was a direct pull drive like most pedals, had a little extra engineering that I could really tell so if Mapex has some of that magic then I think the Falcon will be really solid. However, I don't know. Great options though. And the new cymbal stands are really something impressive.

Back