Hi-Hat Stands

porter

Platinum Member
Hi all- recently I've been needing to purchase a new hi-hat stand, preferably with a 2-leg design since I like to have my hi-hat on the inside of my slave pedal. I was considering these-
  • T̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶u̶d̶w̶i̶g̶ ̶A̶t̶l̶a̶s̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶c̶h̶a̶n̶i̶s̶m̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶v̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ (too expensive)
  • T̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶W̶ ̶9̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶d̶u̶a̶l̶-̶l̶e̶g̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶c̶h̶a̶n̶i̶s̶m̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶9̶0̶0̶0̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶a̶s̶i̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ (too expensive)
  • The Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, their fancy "liquid drive" which looks nice and great price but ugly footboard and unknown quality
  • The new Mapex Falcon one, good price, awesome clutch, great design, yet a bog-standard boring looking drive mechanism
I'm looking for a more solid feel than my current Tama Roadpro, which doesn't seem to offer much control on any spring tension levels and feels bland to me. Any opinions about these (or suggestions of other stands, even 3-legged ones) are much appreciated, and as you may have guessed, I'm not too keen on spending more than $250. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had the 9000 at one point and I think that might work best. The mechanism is a little sluggish but it might be the best for you. I prefer the direct pull of the 5000-series. How about one of those instead?

The 5000 also looks pretty nice, but I'm just not sure about direct pull- the Roadpro I have now and a Pearl mid-quality stand that I played at one point both have that method and I've felt the same way about both. I also play a Pearl 2000 series stand in the church band and really do not like it- probably a combination of the drive mechanism and the Roland hi-hats.

Unfortunately I don't really have the opportunity to play these specific models though I felt how heavy the Atlas was at PASIC and also tried the Falcon, which didn't seem bad at all, though I was standing up. I will start trawling for deals on the 9000 though.

Also, while I'm at it, anybody have experience with Yamaha's 1200T stand? Good price and an inoffensive design on that one, and Yamaha hardware is sturdy to boot.

Last edited:
When I went to GC looking for Dbl Bass pedals, I tried the 9000 HH stand, and found it to be ridiculously smooth.

Still a Tama, but did you also consider the HH905N Lever Glide? Got 2 legs, spring adjustment, and smooth like butter. Probably next to a DW9000, the best hat stand I have ever use and will continue to use. My only personal gripe is the the top rod is a bit long for my tastes. Medium weight, at least to me. Can be had for $200 typically. An example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-Iron-C...235?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf95db7b

i have a cheap mapex stand that I bought about three years ago when I got a new acoustic kit. i had been playing my roland V-drums before then. anyway, i didn't have a whole ton of money, sop I bought the cheapest one, well-one of the cheapest, and honestly, it's been great. It's bent to hell and beat up now, so I'm am also in the market. But I can't see spending a ton of cash on a hi-hat stand. I just can't. Having said all that, I also tried a DW9000 that was set up in the store, and wow!!! very smooth and rock solid....

+1 for the Tama Lever Glide. Waay more affordable than most top-of-the-line equipment. Super smooth and adjustable.

I too like my Tama Lever Glide hi hat stand. I've had mine for about five years and never had an issue with it and it's also the only two legged stand that I own. I also never had any problems with either of my Tama Road Pros. I never tried 18" hats on it, but their adjustability and spring tension works just fine for me. With any piece of hardware, I was never one to adjust the settings until the knobs fell off, lol.

Dennis

I like the Tama Lever Glide too, but I don't own one. It always feels good at the shop when I put my foot on it to test hats out. Feels good even standing up.

I owned a Gibraltar Liquid Drive hat stand. I had it for almost 5 years.
Pros:
EXCELLENT quality, EXCELLENT feel. I found it to have the exact same feel going down and up.
Super smooth, and easily adjustable for spring tension. Height tube works smoothly.
Bottom cymbal felt didn't mush out, or distort in shape.
Once set for stability, it stays there.
The small "extra leg" will move to either side (for putting the left DP foot board on the outside).
Has an integrated Memory Lock.
The chrome plating is excellent, and still looked great when I sold it.

Cons:
A bit heavy, but is probably in line with the 9000 anyway.
I didn't have to because of my hardware case, but you might have to fold/unfold the little leg for transport. Takes a couple seconds. I put a marker line on it to save time, & put it in the same position every time.
If you aren't gigging, it doesn't even matter.

As far as an ugly foot board, I was neutral about it's look.
It felt smooth with bare feet (but doesn't look like it would).
I know we all get OCD over stuff, but, who sees the foot board under a foot?
If something really works well, after a day or two we usually never think about that stuff again (at least I didn't, and I'm admittedly pretty nuts about some things haha!).

Haven't tried the Ludwig Atlas PRO hat stand, but I own a Flat Base Classic Atlas hat stand and it's probably my favorite feeling hat stand.
The FB is beefy enough to be VERY stable with 15" hats played solidly, and still remain lighter weight.
If the PRO has a nicer feel than the Classic, it'd be a great feeling stand. My old Ludwig Modular (with the two outer springs) feels awesome (still, after 20+ years).

The Atlas PRO seems pretty cool, and has nice features, but these days, I don't even consider something that beefy.
I just don't want to deal with moving it (as far as the weight), but even though I play heavy rock (and play with gusto), I just don't find I need anything more than single braced stuff, and the flat base Atlas (or DW, or Gibraltar) gear I have works just great, even when bashing and crashing a 24" ride (and 20" up to 22" crashes).
Holding 3 cymbal stands in one hand, that weight about the same as one heavy duty stand is pretty cool :)

INDIVIDUALLY, the heavier stands aren't that big a deal, but 3 (or more) heavy cymbal stands, AND a heavy snare stand, AND a heavy hat stand, FT legs, etc.... no thanks haha!

Another medium weight, 2 leg hat stand I own is the DW3500. I think that's the number they have now (one I have is a 5000, the other one has 3000 on it).
Stable, manageable weight, legs move either way, good height adjustment, feels good, HAS A MEMORY LOCK.

Good luck picking a stand!

anybody have experience with Yamaha's 1200T stand? Good price and an inoffensive design on that one, and Yamaha hardware is sturdy to boot.

I have a 1200D which is a 2-leg stand. I think it's the same as what you're thinking of - either a different year or territory name etc. Either way, it's a decent piece of kit - locking clutch, spring loaded spikes in the feet, rotatable legs, easy spring adjustment, built like a tank etc.

I have a 1200D which is a 2-leg stand. I think it's the same as what you're thinking of - either a different year or territory name etc. Either way, it's a decent piece of kit - locking clutch, spring loaded spikes in the feet, rotatable legs, easy spring adjustment, built like a tank etc.

They actually are differently models- the 1200D having the direct chain link, and the 1200T having something called "toggle drive". However I'm sure the build quality and other stuff applies to both.

I own the IC lever glide and DW9000. I like the IC more. Both are heavy as hell.
I too like my Tama Lever Glide hi hat stand. I've had mine for about five years and never had an issue with it and it's also the only two legged stand that I own.
I like the Tama Lever Glide too, but I don't own one. It always feels good at the shop when I put my foot on it to test hats out. Feels good even standing up.

Man, you guys love that one. I might see (if i choose this one) if I could get the Speed Cobra footboard, since I prefer the look and the longboard might lend itself to my HH playing more than my kick pedal.

I also never had any problems with either of my Tama Road Pros.

Yeah, I've never had any big problems, but it just seems lackluster. Also, strangely sort of unresponsive, even with the spring at either extreme.

I owned a Gibraltar Liquid Drive hat stand. I had it for almost 5 years.
As far as an ugly foot board, I was neutral about it's look.
It felt smooth with bare feet (but doesn't look like it would).
I know we all get OCD over stuff, but, who sees the foot board under a foot?

I'm sure I'd get over it but as a kind of minimalism lover, the footboard kills my eyes to look at online. I'd think it'd be more prone to breakage but you don't seem to have any problems with it.

The Atlas PRO seems pretty cool, and has nice features, but these days, I don't even consider something that beefy. INDIVIDUALLY, the heavier stands aren't that big a deal, but 3 (or more) heavy cymbal stands, AND a heavy snare stand, AND a heavy hat stand, FT legs, etc.... no thanks haha!

As a teenager who already has some issues with his back (generally from bending more than weight)... I understand! Plus, the price of the Pro (and the 9000) have really kind of turned me off of them when I consider that I can buy the Gibraltar with the new Turning Point clutch for less than half the price...

Another medium weight, 2 leg hat stand I own is the DW3500. I think that's the number they have now.
Stable, manageable weight, legs move either way, good height adjustment, feels good, HAS A MEMORY LOCK.

Good price & they look nice, but I fear that the direct drive would give me basically the same feel as my current RoadPro which feels to me like tofu tastes. Bland and boring.

After all this, seems like my plan is such:
1) Try an Iron Cobra stand. If I like it, buy it.
2) If not, try to find the Yamaha.
3) If unfindable, buy the Gibraltar.

Thanks for all your guys' help!

Another vote for the Tama Lever Glide. I love mine. Very smooth action with a quick return. Lever Glide makes those two opposites possible.

They're all good, you can't really go wrong. I chose the dw9000 one.

I have since tried the tama level glide and it didn't really feel much different to the 9000 so I think if I were you I'd get the dw because it matches your double kick. One thing I love about the dw is the cam system, there is a bit of play before the cam engages and the top hat lifts, it's like the first stage just reduces clamping pressure and this is great for playing little sloshy half open hat stuff and I've never felt this with any other pedal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily buy the tama too.

I also own a mapex falcon pedal and I wouldn't hesitate to get their hi-hat stand. If you like the quick release hi-hat clutch, you can also buy one separately from gibraltar, I'm gonna get one soon too.

The gibraltar one I've tried and it's very soft and mushy feeling compared to the other ones, alot less direct which could be good or bad depending on how you like your hat stand to feel. I think the footboard is ugly though. And that little extra foot looks stupid.

I have since tried the tama level glide and it didn't really feel much different to the 9000 so I think if I were you I'd get the dw because it matches your double kick.

But I can't get the DW for $120... :) duly noted on the cam thing though.

The gibraltar one I've tried and it's very soft and mushy feeling compared to the other ones, alot less direct which could be good or bad depending on how you like your hat stand to feel. I think the footboard is ugly though. And that little extra foot looks stupid.

Aw, man, soft and mushy is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! :( Karl, is that how you'd describe the Gibraltar?

I also really like my Yamaha HS850 and DW 5000 series. The 5000 comes in either a two or three legged model, I bought the three. I believe the DW 5000 is about $200 USD new and the Yamaha was about $140 USD new.

Dennis

Back