Mike Portnoy
Thomas Lang
Buddy Rich

make of drumkit?
Pearl

make of cymbal?
Sabian, Zildjian

where do you practice?
At home, But also at school with my band.

are you in a band/s?
Yes, There is a DRUMMER, a singer, two guitars, and a keyboard player..

covers or originals?
Many originals. All my compositions on the keyboard. I have been playing the keyboard for around 5 years

what style of music?
Listen to all, play rock, latin, funk..

country?
India

how did you start drumming?
My father gifted me my first set on my eighth birthday, Have been playing since

Re: Introduce Yourself

real name? Jay
age? 33
how long been playing? on and off for about 14 or 15 years
origin of user name? it's my DJ name from when I took a dive into house and techno music production
top 5 drummers? The chad of Chadness Mr. Smith himself, Mel (the metronome) Gaynor, Mike Bordin, Nick Oshiro (static X) and Ian Paice. But all that could change with my mood in the next 5 mins
make of drumkit? Stunning Sequoia Red Pearl BLX 10", 12", 14", 15", 16" & 22" with a 14"x3.5" maple free floating snare in matching red laquor with a separate brass shell for when I feel like something a bit more funky
make of cymbal? Sabian AAX 13" fusion hats, AAX 12" mini china, AAX 16" stage crash, AAX 17" stage crash, AAX 18" chinese, HH 20" Heavy Ride
where do you practice? 6th floor of an old mill once a week with the band
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals? Covers with 2 or 3 of our own
what style of music? classic and modern rock with a bit of blues/soul/funk for good measure
favourite take out food? depends on my mood, but I like most unfortunately
country? England
one really odd fact about yourself? I actually stopped playing for a long time, wierd eh
how did you start drumming? After months of air drumming to the likes of pre accident def lepppard (when he had 2 arms) and acdc etc. I went to see a local indie band rehearse, their drummer didn't turn up so they threw the sticks at me.

I think that's everything covered, I'm no great technically brilliant sticksman, I just like to lay down a beat n groove and have some fun, after all that's what it's all about.

Laters taters, take care.

Last edited:

real name?
how long been playing: 7 years
origin of user name: Ming the merciless from Flash Gordon. This has been my username eversince they invented the Internet. I am also sometime known as Verny P
top 5 drummers: Oh lord...er... Jose Pasalis, Chad Smith, Billy Chobham, Daney Carey, Ollie from Gomez
make of drumkit: Yamaha
make of cymbal: Sabian and Paiste
where do you practice: The spare room
are you in a band/s: Well i sort of have a number of things flying around so No not solidly
covers or originals: Originals, I can remember it better if i wrote it!
what style of music: Er the bands, well there's a piano player i've played with he's a little bit Ben Folds like and i'm hopefully gonna be in some latin/ska/swing band but i dunno how that's gonna flex out.
favourite take out food: Chinese
one really odd fact about yourself: I don't really get excited about things, some people think thats a bit odd.
how did you start drumming: On saucepan lids and a old tin of cohcolates with stones in for a snare. That was prompted by being the only one in a school music class (who wasn't a drummer) who could even vaguely co-ordinate himself enough to play a beat.

New here!

My name is Kristin. I'm 28 and have been taking lessons for the last 7 months or so. I've wanted to play the drums my entire life...but for some reason I waited until got married and had three kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) to start! It has been the best thing for me...I absolutely LOVE it!

My husband is extremely supportive and bought me the coolest Valentines gift ever! He bought me a Mapex Pro M kit! (very romantic!) I admit to having a pretty sweet setup for being so new at this...but I promised him (and myself) that I would do it justice eventually. I have all Sabian cymbals...mostly AAX and some AA's. I have two crashes, a splash, and a china boy...and of course the hats and ride:).

I am fortunate to be able to play in my church...so I get to play live every week. It is challenging because of the different types of music that we play. We are fairly contemporary...but there are times when I find it very difficult to play. All in all I think its great practice though and I definitely get to play a wide range of styles.

I love all types of music and have a great time in my basement trying to play along with everything. Right now one of my favorites to play with is Evanescence....not that I sound anything like that guy but I can try right?!

Heres a link to the pics of my set up....
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v461/jkjebrown/My Mapex Pro M/

Re: New here!

Welcome.

Nice kit! Make sure you get some ear protection for your kids (and for yourself) if they're going to play like they are in the pictures.

Similar to the thread in the old DW forum, answer the following questions
(all optional)

real name - Rory U.
age - 15
how long been playing? about 8 months
origin of user name - My name
top drummers - Travis Barker
make of drumkit - premier
make of cymbal - sabian
where do you practice? on a practice pad, on my set, at my friends
are you in a band? No
covers or originals - Both mostly covers right now. not very good at origanals
style of music - Rock mostly some country and jazz as well
favourite take out food - chinese
country - USA
how did you start drumming - well, i always wanted to play the guitar but when my older friend asked me if i wanted to take lessons i figured i would try it. after the first lesson i was hooked and it's been in my blood ever since!

real name? Gram Roberts
age? 18
how long been playing? 4 or so years
origin of user name? Buddha is the greatest man to ever live
top 5 drummers? Rich, Lionel Hampton, Gadd, Weckl, Krupa
make of drumkit? Yamaha
make of cymbal? Sabian
where do you practice? Storage Room
are you in a band/s? No
what style of music? I try to practise everything
favourite take out food? Indian/Mexican
country? Canada
one really odd fact about yourself? I can do a backflip without jumping
how did you start drumming? Got inspired by Neil Peart and asked my mom for a kit

real name?
Sharon

age?

how long been playing?
2 yrs

origin of user name?
Just liked it

top 5 drummers?
Thomas Lang
Phil Collins
Tre Cool
Eric Singer
My Drum Tutor

make of drumkit?
Stagg

make of cymbal?
Paiste

where do you practice?
My Garage

are you in a band/s?
Not at the moment
I was in one for 5 months - Artistic differences !!!!
Currently in talks to do original music (finegrs crossed)

covers or originals?
Covers but would love to do originals

what style of music?
If it Rocks - its good for me

favourite take out food?
Chinese

country?
UK

one really odd fact about yourself?
I'm a Meat Loaf Fan

I had a lesson for my 40th birthday - I was hooked !!

real name?
Hans
age?
how long been playing?
7 years
origin of user name?
Too much to explain
top 5 drummers?
Tomas Haake, Morgan Ågren, Jarle Vespestad, Mike Portnoy, Daniel Svensson
make of drumkit?
Dixon.. it sucks! can't afford anything else..
make of cymbal?
some crap
where do you practice?
at the barn at home
are you in a band/s?
yep, mystic cauliflower expowered by the embers of a dying sun.. but in that band I play guitar.. I also play some meshuggah stuff with a friend of mine, me on drums, he plays guitar..
covers or originals?
both, I make alot of music
what style of music?
mostly metal and mike patton stuff .. but also some jazz and classic music..
favourite take out food?
chinese
country?
Norway
one really odd fact about yourself?
In my really early years, I used to wear a helmet because I fell so much..
didn't have anything else to do

Last edited:

real name? Urosh Bogicevic
age? 15
how long been playing? about 5 years. maybe more
origin of user name? a skateboard trick
top 5 drummers? Jaska Raatikainen, Nicko McBrain, Lars Ulrich, Janne Kusmin, John Otto and all the classic jazz drummers
make of drumkit? Stagg
make of cymbal? Meinl
where do you practice? Home
are you in a band/s? yes
what style of music? Metal
favourite take out food? Hambourgers
country? i live in greece but im serbian
one really odd fact about yourself? im good at alot things but i dont practise them cause im lazy
how did you start drumming? my mom boughted californication album of RHCP and i started hitting some cans and sung with my sister when i was like 10. lol

Last edited:

Hello, my name is John. I'm 15 years old and i've been playin for about 4 years. Drums are basically my life and it's something I want to do when I get older. I am currently in two bands. I have a 7 piece Pearl Export. I've been told I play a lot like The Reverend from A7x. That makes sense being he is one of my favorites. Some of my influences are Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Dave Weckl, and a bunch of others.

real name? Alex Majewski, but my friends call me Jewski
age? 15
how long been playing? About 3 years
origin of user name? My friends call me Jewski
top 5 drummers? Tough question...
make of drumkit? Tama
make of cymbal? Zildjian
where do you practice? My garage
are you in a band/s? Yes, a hardcore punk band.
covers or originals? So far we've been working on two covers, and original stuff is still being worked on.
what style of music? I play all kinds of punk, ska, hardcore, psychobilly, and reggae.
favourite take out food? I'm not good at picking favorites... but pretty much anything is good.
country? US
one really odd fact about yourself? I have obsessive compulsive disorder.
how did you start drumming? I'm not sure, I just like beats, and hitting things... so I picked up the drums.

Real name- Sinan
Age- Nearly 16
Been playing for- Nearly two years.
Origin of user name- When something sacred and significant like water dries up, we think so differently of it and... um... actually, I just thought it sounded cool.
Top 5 drummers (no particular order) - Ian Paice (Deep Purple), Chad Smith(Red Hot Chili Peppers), Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix), Cozy Powell (Raindow and others), David Garibaldi (Tower of Power).. There are so much more, but it says 5.
Make of drumkit- Ludwig
Make of cymbals- Istanbul
Where do you practice- I have my kit in my room. Also there is a Mapex where I go for lessons, and a Yamaha Rydeen at school. I have a practice pad, but I practice on my lap, pillows, my friend's amplifier...
Are you in a band- Yes
Covers or originals-Bit of both, but more covers.
What style of music- Anything really. Blues,Funk, Alternative Rock, Metal. I mean I'll be listening to Tower of Power, and then you'll see me listening to Dreamtheater. u get the point..
Favorite take out food- Chinese
country-Greece, but I'm not Greek
One really odd fact about yourself- Before a gig hold me drumsticks in my hand for like 10 minutes, non-stop, and I run around and scream, if i can, to get me in the mood. I also like to have something to drink. I mean i'm a relaxed person in general, but a beer or two does no harm...
Why I started playing: Well, well, well. Before I started playing the drums, I was always hitting things when listening to music. I mean I was always trying to find the beat, and jump with it or shake my head with it. Around 3-4 years ago, I started being interested in the drums. I would look at a band, and then unconciously start staring at the drummer, and what he was doing... so around 2 years ago, I started taking lessons, and I'm progressing quite fast. My teachers tells me I got a good ear, and I better than people at my level... I guess thats a good thing. lol... I'll probably never stop playing the drums though. I mean it has become a passion and whenever i sit behind the set, it's hard for me to get back up...

Cheers to all, dry_water

real name-Andrew Elledge

age-21

how long been playing? on and off since I was knee high to a grasshopper but seriously for about 6-7 years

origin of user name? The song 6 weeks in dizkneelande by nuno bettencourt. i need a s/n that wasnt taken!

top 5 drummers? ok i dont have a top 5 but w/e. dave garibaldi, jeff consi, kenny aronoff, jack dejohnette, jeff hamilton, jojo mayer, billy cobham, john bonham, stanton moore. .....the list keeps going ;)

make of drumkit? yamaha stage customs and pacific set I use for recording

make of cymbal? sheesh there's too many to list. I basically endorse paiste but also own some very nice rides hats and crashes from sabian and zildj. whatever the situation calls for is what i break out.

where do you practice? my room and my dad's studio

are you in a band/s? The Lockdown "www.myspace.com/funkylockdown. ive recorded with many artists in and around memphis and some ukranians too =) www.myspace.com/andrewelledge. there's some funny stuff on that one =)

covers or originals? both

what style of music? what kind of question is that? funk/latin/jazz,swing/trio jazz/rock/progressive rock/soccer

favourite take out food? chinese or taco bell

country? usa

one really odd fact about yourself? two of my toes are stuck together. not webbed....stuck together!

how did you start drumming? my dad teaches music lessons and owns a recording studio =) which works out great for me!!!!

real name-Andrew Elledge

age-21

how long been playing? on and off since I was knee high to a grasshopper but seriously for about 6-7 years

origin of user name? The song 6 weeks in dizkneelande by nuno bettencourt. i need a s/n that wasnt taken!

top 5 drummers? ok i dont have a top 5 but w/e. jeff consi, kenny aronoff, jack dejohnette, jeff hamilton, jojo mayer, billy cobham, john bonham, stanton moore. .....the list keeps going ;)

make of drumkit? yamaha stage customs and pacific set I use for recording

make of cymbal? sheesh there's too many to list. I basically endorse paiste but also own some very nice rides hats and crashes from sabian and zildj. whatever the situation calls for is what i break out.

where do you practice? my room and my dad's studio

are you in a band/s? The Lockdown "www.myspace.com/funkylockdown. ive recorded with many artists in and around memphis and some ukranians too =) www.myspace.com/andrewelledge. there's some funny stuff on that one =)

what style of music? what kind of question is that? ummm.... funk/latin/jazz,swing/trio jazz/rock/progressive rock/soul/motown/soccer adn racquet ball!

favourite take out food? chinese or taco bell

country? usa

one really odd fact about yourself? two of my toes are stuck together. not webbed....stuck together!

how did you start drumming? my dad teaches music lessons and owns a recording studio =) which works out great for me!!!!

real name? Joey
age? 15
how long been playing? Only 8 months
origin of user name? I like and have a sonor drum set...
top 5 drummers? Neil Peart.- John Bonham - Tommy Aldridge- Dave Lombardo- Keith Moon
make of drumkit? Sonor force 3005
make of cymbal? sabian
where do you practice? in my basement lol
are you in a band/s? yea one
what style of music? alternative rock grunge
favourite take out food? ... um taco bell
country? US
one really odd fact about yourself? I have a birth mark of a heart on my body...lol
how did you start drumming?my friend

real name? Teddy Scott
age? 42
how long been playing? Seriously since 7th grade. Had one of those "paper head" kits when I was a child.
origin of user name? Long story.
top 5 drummers? Good Question. Id have to say.. Mike Portnoy, Neil, John & Jason Bonham, Carmine, probably then Alex Van Halen.
make of drumkit? DW Collector Series
make of cymbal? Sabian
where do you practice? Bandmates studio
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals? Mainly Covers
what style of music? Country/Classic Rock and Blues
favourite take out food? Chineese or Mehican
country? USA?
one really odd fact about yourself? I am my worst critique, and I feel my left foot owes me!
Id like to be a better double bass drummer.
how did you start drumming? Have always been around drums as a child.
Played in Marching band in jr high school, then on through high school.
Then I play some professionally in C type clubs. Would rather be doing A Clubs or B type clubs.

Hi all, newcomer here!

- How long been playing: Since 14.
- Origin of user name: Can't remember...
- Top 5 drummers: Virgil Donati, Vinnie Colaiuta, Bjorn Fryklund, David Garibaldi, Gavin Harrison.
- Make of drumkit: Yamaha
- Make of cymbal: Sabian
- Where do you practice: Home rehearsal room.
- Are you in a band/s: Yep.
- Covers or originals: Covers so far, if the cover project works out, we'll shift to doing our own music!
- What style of music: Funk/Hard-Funk/Funk-Rock.
- Favourite take out food: Asian.
- One really odd fact about yourself: I'm half asian half british but I'm living in France! Buys me...
- How did you start drumming: I just sat down and started hitting the damn things!

There you go : )

Last edited:

how long been playing: 2 years
origin of user name: simple
top 5 drummers: Steve Jordan,Carter Beauford,David Garibaldi, John Bonham , Chad Smith
make of drumkit: Pacific CX
make of cymbal: Zildjian A Series
where do you practice: laundry room behind the garage
are you in a band/s: Yes
covers or originals: A little of both
what style of music: Rock / Blues
favourite take out food: In-n-out Burger (in California and Nevada)
how did you start drumming: Played in Jr high and High school Band (Concert, Jazz, Marching) took about 15 year layoff and started again in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back