I'm in a situation I never thought I'd find myself in... ever

The Gedge

I'm 16 and in secondary school (British high school).
This girl asked me to go with her to the year 11 prom because her boyfriend's in a different year and therefore can't go. I agreed to go with her (pinkie swear, or something like that); we'll call her A.
However, a few days afterwards I realised there's someone else I'd prefer to go with (I fancy her basically); we'll call her B
I figured that I should ask out B, and if that goes well, reject A.
Any other suggestions? The prom's early next year so I have at least a couple of months to figure this out.
Do you have any advice for carrying this out as well?

Sounds like a good plan to me! Ask "B" and if she says yes then lose "A"
"A" will find another make believe prom date.

Lucky you. I missed out on my year 11 prom because I couldn't find anyone to go with. If you like someone better then better going with them rather than just someone else for a sympathy date.

You asked A, you go with A. You are young and by that time C, D, and E will come along. But if you have any integrity you must go with A.

If I were you, I'd go with A. If I were me, I wouldn't go at all!

You were her 2nd pick too. Follow your heart, all's fair in love and war.
You're 16, you have plenty of time for integrity. Maybe you could get a sub?
If you do pick B, own it. Be honest.
What if you stick to the original plan and B meets a guy and they become steady? You will have missed the boat being noble. F that.

To A:
I know that we had a pinky swear date, but you don't like me for dating, you just want someone to accompany you to the prom, which is cool. But now I have a problem, there's someone who wants to actually date me, and hinted about the prom. (white lie) Can you let me off the hook so I can go after her? I really like her.

Put it on her.

I never asked A; she asked me. I said yes because I didn't expect anyone else to bug me about it.
I no longer care for my integrity, so I don't see the point of honouring the promise to A.
I barely know or care for A anyway; she's fairly popular so she could find somebody else.
B is just a far better choice for me; she can tell Austria from Australia.

I'll ask B, then lose A if that goes well.
Sorry to bother you guys with my unexpected love life!

Actually...thinking about it, I would do what I thought was right, which could be either one depending on the circumstances which you know better than any of us. Your plan sounds eminently reasonable to me.

Explain that your doing the young lady a big favor and you'd like them both to accompany you! Ofcourse to be fare they should handle half the expenses each, right??? Then you have all night to figure out how it will end. Be agressive yet reserved why be conventional when your so young, live it up your only young twice.
Once when you ARE young and again somewhere around 58 or so, thats a tuff one and the one when YOU need the money. Think about it I'm sure you'll make the right choices. Doc

You and the lassies are the only ones to know and decide...fantasy or reality?
In terms of drumming: straight singles and doubles or triplets!!!

Last edited:
I guess since you aren't worried about your integrity or reputation the only fair thing would be that you back out of the Date with A and when you ask B she tells you No. Wouldn't that be lovely.
Sounds like you have a career in politics all lined up.

Back