Pearl Session Studio kit

SGT_Drummer

Hi all! I'm writing this thread to let you all know what my kit is going to consist of (i'm very proud of it lol) and to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, or answers to my questions. I am serving in Iraq currently so I won't get to actually see my new babies until the end of May, but good god i can't wait! So here goes:

Drums: Pearl Session Studio
(i don't remember the depths exactly, i'll post those after i get home; i got a killer deal on this set from a buddy of mine before we left, he paid like 4 grand for them, i paid 1500 and got them and the rack, even better is from what i understand they don't make these drums anymore but they sound amazing!)
8"/10"/12" mounted toms on a Pearl rack
16"/18" floor toms
22" kick
standard 5 1/2" x 14 snare

Also got a Pearl Firecracker snare 10" x 5"; and a Pearl Picollo snare 3" x 13"

Tama Iron Cobra double pedal; DW 9000 HH Remote; DW 9500TB HH Stand

The rest of the hardware is quite the jumble of different manufacturers. But on to the cymbals!

Zildjian:
A series:
13" Mastersound hats
14" New Beat hats
21" Sweet Ride
20" Swisher Ride
17" Medium crash
14" Fast Crash

A Custom:
6"/8"10"/12" splashes
16" medium crash
19" crash ( i actually bought this on accident, meant to get K Custom)

K Custom:
16" Special Dry Crash

Z Custom:
16"/18" Medium-Thin crashes

Sabian:
AAX 16" Crash
APX 16" Ozone Crash
Carmine Apprice 17" Devestation China

Paiste:
15"/17" Paiste 2002 crashes

I also got a 3 bell cowbell, a studio percussion pack, and I'm currently trying to figure out which mics to get for it.

So that about wraps it up. I'm not 100% sure what heads i'm going to get. I'm debating between Evans batter heads and Remo Coated Ambassadors on top. Then on the bottom i already have the Remo Black ambassadors (minus the snares) but i'm thinking about getting either an evans clear head or some other clear head with good reviews. rockin the pork pie drum throne (a must) and Vic Firth 5AL Ringo Starr series sticks. The extra 1 1/2" length really makes a difference, absolutely love these sticks.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, words of wisdom, advice from people that own any of this gear on what to expect, anything basically. Let me know what you guys think! I have thick skin lol.

-Scott

First off, thanks for your service in iraq !

the only thing i can say is, I cant wait to see pics of that sucker !!

WOW, you got all of that for 1500.00 Good friend indeed.
Thanks for your service. Chin up and head down. See you at the end of May

KILLER KILLER KILLER deal. I was in shock when I went through all the cymbals, and was thinking "there's no way he got this for $1500..." And then I saw the part about the actual kit, and I was shocked.

But anyways, I can't wait to see it. Sounds like a very nice kit.

WOW, you got all of that for 1500.00 Good friend indeed.
Thanks for your service. Chin up and head down. See you at the end of May

oh! sorry lol i wrote that wrong, i got the toms, bass, and the standard snare along with the rack for 1500. haha i just dropped several grand on all the cymbals, and have 2 more purchases to make before i get home which will be the remaining cymbals i haven't bought yet and the hardware.

i'll get pics up as soon as i can, maybe my cousin will be nice and set them up for me and send pics so i can post them lol. but that might take the fun out of it. =D

KILLER KILLER KILLER deal. I was in shock when I went through all the cymbals, and was thinking "there's no way he got this for $1500..." And then I saw the part about the actual kit, and I was shocked.

But anyways, I can't wait to see it. Sounds like a very nice kit.

I think he only got the kit for 1,500. If I'm not mistaken, he already had the cymbals...

I'm open to any and all suggestions, words of wisdom, advice from people that own any of this gear on what to expect, anything basically. Let me know what you guys think! I have thick skin lol.

-Scott

...I don't have much advice regarding the gear.

My advice is just come home safe and in one piece.

Our prayers are with you.

Barry

Hi all! I'm writing this thread to let you all know what my kit is going to consist of (i'm very proud of it lol) and to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, or answers to my questions. I am serving in Iraq currently so I won't get to actually see my new babies until the end of May, but good god i can't wait! So here goes:

Drums: Pearl Session Studio
(i don't remember the depths exactly, i'll post those after i get home; i got a killer deal on this set from a buddy of mine before we left, he paid like 4 grand for them, i paid 1500 and got them and the rack, even better is from what i understand they don't make these drums anymore but they sound amazing!)
8"/10"/12" mounted toms on a Pearl rack
16"/18" floor toms
22" kick
standard 5 1/2" x 14 snare

Also got a Pearl Firecracker snare 10" x 5"; and a Pearl Picollo snare 3" x 13"

Tama Iron Cobra double pedal; DW 9000 HH Remote; DW 9500TB HH Stand

The rest of the hardware is quite the jumble of different manufacturers. But on to the cymbals!

Zildjian:
A series:
13" Mastersound hats
14" New Beat hats
21" Sweet Ride
20" Swisher Ride
17" Medium crash
14" Fast Crash

A Custom:
6"/8"10"/12" splashes
16" medium crash
19" crash ( i actually bought this on accident, meant to get K Custom)

K Custom:
16" Special Dry Crash

Z Custom:
16"/18" Medium-Thin crashes

Sabian:
AAX 16" Crash
APX 16" Ozone Crash
Carmine Apprice 17" Devestation China

Paiste:
15"/17" Paiste 2002 crashes

I also got a 3 bell cowbell, a studio percussion pack, and I'm currently trying to figure out which mics to get for it.

So that about wraps it up. I'm not 100% sure what heads i'm going to get. I'm debating between Evans batter heads and Remo Coated Ambassadors on top. Then on the bottom i already have the Remo Black ambassadors (minus the snares) but i'm thinking about getting either an evans clear head or some other clear head with good reviews. rockin the pork pie drum throne (a must) and Vic Firth 5AL Ringo Starr series sticks. The extra 1 1/2" length really makes a difference, absolutely love these sticks.

-Scott

Come back home safe and sound, have fun with that set, PLEASE!! post pics, and I also have a pair of those Ringo sig sticks. They are quite nice. By the way those Ringo Starr sticks are Pro Mark.

Last edited:
As an update to this, I probably should have put this out the first time, I just bought round 2 of 3 to making this kit complete. The only thing left is the spashes! well, that and a couple stands! I'm also adding some custom cymbals that basically you'll have to see to believe. Still excited!!

And thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hi there. Thanks for your service. Couple of army/ex army geezers on here so you're in good company. Secondly the kit sounds as if it's gonna be a belter! Can't wait to see shots of it.

Here's the DW Kitbuilder snapsnot of basically how I'm going to be setting it up. A few things aren't exactly right, such as positioning of the 2nd Hat pedal which will be on a remote, and the sizes of the Snares, as well as the amount of cymbals. i didn't have my list of everything with me tonight so i did it straight from memory.

Attachments

• Set-Up.JPG
    Set-Up.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 4,862
time to drop another update in here to keep the excitement coming (probably for just myself but w/e).

I just bought the 4 splashes and claw mounts. WEWTS! somehow in the middle of all this i forgot to buy the Mastersound hats and the Sizzle Ride. But have picked up an extra China, 2 extra crashes, and a Stewart Copeland Blue ride as what is going to be my 3rd ride. I've realized that i'll probably never have all of my cymbals on the set at the same time so i'll have to play around with them. In good news pics wise, i had everything sent to my mothers house. My cousin (who has my drumset currently) came and picked up everything I bought so far so he could go set it up for me. and i have demanded pictures immediately, i'll post them soon as he hooks me up.

on another note, i've been thinking about my next set. It's probably going to be decked with Meinl cymbals. But I've ruled out the Gretsch Catalina Club Mods I was looking at due to several poor reviews I have found about them. Right now the debate is between going all out on a small DW kit (oxymoron i know lol), or pickin up a Ddrum Punkx 5 piece.

Till next time!

Alrighty everyone! I'm back in the States! and as promised... MY SET IS COMPLETE! well, it will never be 'complete', but it's good for now. ..could go for that spaun vented acrylic snare though, man that'd be nice... oh! where was i? ahh, some of the specs have changed so here's the updated specs and pics to match:

Pearl Session Studio: Tobacco Burst (I think)

Toms: 10", 12", 14", 16"
Snares: 14" (Session), 13" (Piccolo), 10" (Popcorn) (All Pearl)
Bass: 22" w/ Tama Iron Cobra Double Petal

Lots of Boom stands with clamped on additional boom stands and a Pearl rack (501 I think)

Hats: 14" A Series New Beat, 13" A Custom Mastersound
Rides: 22" Paiste Blue Bell, 21" A Series Sweet Ride
Chinas: Vinny Caprice Devestation China (Sabian), 19" Scimitar Bronze Hi Boy (Zildjian)
Splashes: A Custom; 6", 8", 10", & 12"; ZBT 10"
Crashes: 17" & 19" A Custom, 17" A Series, 16" & 18" Z Customs, 15" & 17" Paiste 2002s, 16" Sabian AAX, 16" Sabian APX Ozone

Pork Pie Bicycle Throne, Rythem Tec Accessories package (Shaker, Tri-Bell, Egg Shaker, Triangle, and a Tambourine)

and there is a Cowbell that isn't in the pictures but according to my cousin who is hanging onto it, it's "somewhere". =P

Enjoy! i'll be making a second post with just the information so i can link to it in my signature FYI.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 4,478
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 4,310
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 4,333
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 4,725
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 4,527
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 4,767
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 4,584
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 6,169
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 4,572
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 4,823
Welcome home Sarge. Thanks for your service. Quite a nice collection of hitables you have there.

That's delicious, what year is the kit?
well, the guy i got them from and myself were in iraq together on my first tour in 2006, he bought them straight from pearl after we had gotten back. so it was made either later 2006 or early 2007.

Welcome home Sarge. Thanks for your service. Quite a nice collection of hitables you have there.

thank you very much! unfortunately this is only for leave though. i head back over on the 20th, but only 4 months left. wewts.

Now then Sarge that's a really nice kit, very interesting cymbals, some are absolutely great, others are slightly "budget" but they'll still do right? Haha don't be too angry with me but my mates have started calling me "the sarge" not that i'm worthy of such a title or anything!
Thanks for what you've done. Especially on this weekend i shall remember you and all your buddies as well as our lot in iraq and Afghanistan just like i remember "them" (i shouldn't even have to remind anybody who "they" are, should i?)

Back