My new Pearl Masters MCX kit

FoolInTheRain

Hey guys. Kinda new here. Finally got around to getting a good pic of my new Masters MCX kit in Mocha Tamo fade.

18x22
8x10
9x12
16x16
5x14 Brass Sensitone

14" K hats
17" A Custom Crash
19" A Custom Crash
20" A Custom Projection Ride
18" Oriental China Trash
6" A Custom splash

Really like this kit. Very nice balance of attack and warmth.

l7ae.jpg

That's a very nice looking kit. It's great to see other people's kits.I bet they sound great. Thanks for sharing.

Nice tubs .......................... 20​

Pearls Masters MCX and Masters Premium are both great sounding kits. It's just ashame that Pearl doesn't have the MCX finishes that they once had, even just a few years ago.

Dennis.

Sweet finish! I love these drums...I had some and I'm sorry I got rid of them. The construction quality is unmatched, IMO...and they sound great. I like the thicker shells...they cut well and still retain a lot of resonance and warmth.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm very proud to own these drums.

That's a real pretty finish! You need to make a recording so we can hear them. I bet they sound great!

You know, next up on my gear list is a set of mics. I know SM57 are good mics, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have a MCX kit in quilted bubinga sunburst. I love these drums they sound great

Attachments

• DSC01018.JPG
    DSC01018.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,548
You know, next up on my gear list is a set of mics. I know SM57 are good mics, but I'm open to suggestions.

57's are great for snares and toms, and I love my Beta 52 on the kick. I bought some SM81's for overheads but don't use them that often...and have never had the opportunity to use them live. Shure makes great, durable mics...not sure if they're considered the best sounding mics? It's probably pretty subjective, like almost anything music related.

I use an Audix I5 on the snare because the capsule is protected by metal. A 57 is a great sounding mic for sure, but is too fragile for me. The I5 sounds close enough to a 57 for me.

I have a MCX kit in quilted bubinga sunburst. I love these drums they sound great

I almost got that finish because I was told mocha tamo was no longer available. But I called just to be sure and Pearl actually had some left!

QBS is a beautiful finish though.

I almost got that finish because I was told mocha tamo was no longer available. But I called just to be sure and Pearl actually had some left!

QBS is a beautiful finish though.

Yep the faux finishes are cool and look great on stage. but the 6 ply maple shells and the die cast hoops are what make them sound so great

I literally just sold a kit like that on Friday night (12,13,16,22) Mocha Tamo finish. I have to admit, I love to move kits around and always play something different. Keeps it fun... In the last 2.5 years I've had a Renown, MCX, Pearl Masters Studio, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute and I just replaced the MCX on Friday with a DW Performance... I just gotta say how much I love how different all these kits are and how they're are so many great deals out there for great high end kits... I should really do a vs/vs/vs thread!!! lol... Congrats on your new kit, they're awesome and Pearls hardware are second to none. How are you making out with the tuning on the MCX?

I literally just sold a kit like that on Friday night (12,13,16,22) Mocha Tamo finish. I have to admit, I love to move kits around and always play something different. Keeps it fun... In the last 2.5 years I've had a Renown, MCX, Pearl Masters Studio, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute and I just replaced the MCX on Friday with a DW Performance... I just gotta say how much I love how different all these kits are and how they're are so many great deals out there for great high end kits... I should really do a vs/vs/vs thread!!! lol... Congrats on your new kit, they're awesome and Pearls hardware are second to none. How are you making out with the tuning on the MCX?

Well you certainly didn't downgrade, that's for sure. The Dee Dubs are amazing drums and I would love to own some one day.

No tuning issues so far with the MCX. I like to tune somewhat in the higher register, which sounds great with these drums. My previous kit, a Premier Artist Birch, I could never find a good pitch.

Yeah man, no downgrade here... Most would argue it was a sideways move, but not if your havin fun doing it and its not costing any money. In terms of the tuning it took me a while with the MCX because I like the low register. Once I got it locked in, I would imagine anyone would be hard pressed to find a kit with more responsive low end. The MCX kit rocks and I cant say anything really "bad" about it. Enjoy it!!

Back