Mapex Falcons vs. Yamaha 9500

beefythedrummer

I'm trying to decide between these two pedals. I'm getting a second drum set, so I need a second pedal. Sadly, my local guitar center doesn't have either so I'm looking to see if anyone has had experience with them.

I like the Mapex because it is new and I like trying new things. I like that it has an adjustable cam kind of like the DW9000( which I'm not gonna fork out $250 for), and the Yamaha doesn't seem to have that.

However, I like how the Yamaha seems to have a wider foot board, and I've heard tons of good things about them, but thats all I have to go on.

Any help?

I've played a couple of sets of falcons in my music store, they're solidly built and have a smooth action to them. They also have an adjustable weight that goes in the beater head, I havent played the yamahas. However if direct drives more your thing allow me to guide you to http://usa.mapexdrums.com/raptorpedal/index.asp :)

Hope this helps, George.

Thanks, now I need someones input on the Yamaha's. I've had experience with direct drives, but with my 24" bass drum they don't give me the feeling I'm looking for, a little too light.

Unfortunately I haven't tried the Yams but I do own and love the Falcons.

I do believe that the Falcons have more adjustability especially as you get chain, strap and 2 different cams.

I would try them both if you can but they're both pro pedals and so either would be a good bet.

I tried both a little while ago and ended up buying the falcons. I don't personally like direct drive pedals, it just to me feels like there's nothing there. The falcons felt very very similar in lots of ways to the DW stuff (which I also tried out) and they come pretty much perfect out of the box, definitely one of the best pedals out there right now IMO. Good luck buddy!

I'd say the Falcons win hands down because of the negative review of the 9500 I saw here:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...rect-Drive-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal-?sku=582799

"This pedal has a lot going for it but as a follw up to the Flying Dragon series it is a huge let down. First off-made in china. Can't go back to that old 'made in the Yamaha Motorcycle factory' schtick anymore....as soon as I removed the thing from the box i could feel its cheapness. Upon assembly, two of the set screws immediately stripped out under minimal torque. The springs and u-joints on the link started creaking on the first day and I have to oil them constantly to get them to shut up. Finally, everything that was really cool about the Flying Dragons...the quick release clamp, key storage, felt beaters, Made In Japan, superior ergonomics...everything that made the previous series excellent has been deleted from this version. This new series is crap. Plain and simple. Take my advice, track down a Flying Dragon DFP9415 and get that. It'll be a lot cheaper too."

But I have yet to see a single negative thing about the Falcons.

I'm actually let down by this review because I think I want to replace my Flying Dragons with some fresh new ones. But not anymore; now I'm getting the Falcons.

The Falcon is a good choice because of the longer footboard that most pedals and the fact that Mapex now offers a direct drive conversion kit for it.

I'm a little conflicted on Yamaha's new gen pedals. I have 3 Flying Dragon pedals, I like them a lot. But I tend to agree with that review above.

FYI, there are several new old stock 9415 Flying Dragon pedals on ebay right now for only $100. Now these are great.

Im using 9500d, they're very nice in my opinion. They both look and feel very expensive, buy them!

I bought the Mapex Falcon a couple months ago, a brilliant pedal, with a lot of optional settings, including different drive options, chains, strap and direct drive (at extra cost for the DD) and differents cams. Quality and design of this pedal is superb. :)

The Falcon is a good choice because of the longer footboard that most pedals and the fact that Mapex now offers a direct drive conversion kit for it.

I'm a little conflicted on Yamaha's new gen pedals. I have 3 Flying Dragon pedals, I like them a lot. But I tend to agree with that review above.

FYI, there are several new old stock 9415 Flying Dragon pedals on ebay right now for only $100. Now these are great.

I love this pedal. I super overpaid and got my doubles for $300...but you know, worth every damn penny.

Back