Concert toms.

_Mark

I've been looking at getting a custom kit soon from SJC, one like the hand-inlaid veneer finish the 'Butcher' from the Academy is..., and noticed as everyone first does when looking at this kit, it has no bottom heads.
I've never seen this before and looked it up what it would sound like, and from what I have read, it gives it almost all attack with no resonance. I was wondering is this true? And how would that sound mic'd up? Also, in you guys' opinion is it worth doing?

Thanks!
Mark

P.S. Here's the kit-
prod_butcher_patchworkkit2_.jpg

I wouldn't do it. You can always take the bottom heads off to get that sound, but you can't put bottom heads on those without adding lugs and cutting a bearing edge - basically modifying the drums.

Some people like that sound, most notably, Phil Collins. He played concert toms for years and they hugely contributed to his unique sound. But that's the only sound you'll ever get from them. If you're okay with that, then you're good to go. If not, keep looking.

I wouldn't do it. You can always take the bottom heads off to get that sound, but you can't put bottom heads on those without adding lugs and cutting a bearing edge - basically modifying the drums.

What Mike said.

It's an undeserved myth about concert toms, that they're dry or dead or whatever and are forever linked to '70s studios and disco.

The fact is, with correct miking - just at the edge of the bottom of the drum, not on top of the batter - concert toms are rich and resonant. Pair that with the advances in head technology compared to 35 years ago, and concert toms sound like they never could before. Maybe the biggest advantage to a single-headed drum is that it's easier to tune.

Looking at the SLC drum, I would say that a shallow, wood-hooped drum like that is likely to sound dry and a little dark. I wouldn't get that size or use those hoops unless you want a short, mellow rack tom.

Don't make me trot out the pics of one of my favorite kits.... ooops, too late:

vlitectoms.jpg

And Vistalites to boot!

Bermuda

I should add that non-mic'd concert toms can sound dry from where the drummer sits, but out front they have a lot of body and tone. Note that having a reso head doesn't guarantee a resonant drum... tuning and the ability to hear what the drum sounds like in front of the kit is important for the desired sound.

Bermuda

Sorry, concert toms, ewww yuck.
None for me thanks. Especially unmiked. (shudders)
To each his own. Pull your bottom heads off your existing drums, play them and then decide if you prefer the sound. It's definitely different.

Like Bermuda said, Don't be afraid of concert toms.
I played them for many years.
I am working on using the three shallow toms from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit to add some concert toms to my kit again. I am just waiting for the stand that I ordered to arrive.
I can't wait to have fun with them when I set them up with my kit.

I need two heads. Too boingy. Gotta muffle em.
I'm sorry if I have nothing nice to say I should keep quiet. Next time.

Larry, Back in the day we used Evans Hydraulic heads on our concert toms.
Today, I use the Aquarian Studio-X coated heads on mine. They sound great!
I love to tune them tight and let them sing!

Hydraulics and concert toms, you're pushing it Bob.
I used to play them many moons ago.

Anyone remember Dead Ringers? Them suckers could fix up a set o concert toms real nice!

Anyone remember Dead Ringers? Them suckers could fix up a set o concert toms real nice!
Yes, I do Mike, I used them also for many years.
Larry, The oil heads were great on concert toms.
Mine were almost always red. I also used the blue ones.

See? Memories of concert toms seem to revolve around the stereotypical muffled, dead sounds on many '70s recordings. But stereotypes are dangerous, or at least can be very limiting. Anyone who thinks concert toms are a one-trick-pony is really missing out on great-sounding toms.

Oh well, when the '70s make a comeback, I'll get a bunch of work. :)

Bermuda

Bermuda can you get a good sound from a concert tom with a single ply head without any muffling? Or do you have to have muffling? I haven't tried them in sooo long

Guys, just try it out! Its easy. Take a nice big floor tom and whip the bottom head off, it might impress you. If you think that they will inevitably sound dead, dry, and fast, you're wrong. You can get some big, sustained, warm sounds.

Back in the 80's when I was still new to drumming, I had a trick to make my double headed toms into single headed toms without having to worry about damaging the bottom bearing edges. I took the old beat-up pinstripes off the tops, cut around the black stripe with an excacto knife leaving only that outer inch of drum head, then I placed those on the bottoms and new heads on the tops. What I ended up with was a single headed drum that had the looks and protection of a double headed drum. That was back when I knew nothing about tuning drums, though. I don't think I could ever go back to those days.

Hey Bermuda,

How deep do those concert toms run? An inch or two deeper? I'm so used to judging tom depth by the perceived distance between mounting hardware.

Traditional concert toms are in 'classic' sizes (8x12, 9x13 etc) with the 16" being 14" deep. On the smaller toms, they kind of made up depths since 10" and smaller drums weren't stock items back in the day and there was no comparable double-headed tom size. Ludwig later offered 'power' concert toms with an extra inch or two on most drums.

But the hardware placement can be deceiving. On both Ludwig and Slingerland, the mounts were deliberately closer to the batter than on comparable double-headed drums. It's hard to imagine that much thought was given to mounting positions back then - it may have been more of a shell balance consideration than targeting a nodal point for maximum resonance - but the placement seems to make sense.

Bermuda

Back