"normal" pedal ???

phil_qc

Hi !

Could someone help me out finding a normal bass drum pedal ?

Right now, I have an Iron Cobra Rolling Glide as my main pedal
and I know a lot of drummers loves it, I just cannot get use to it...
But I have try believe me, for at least 2 years !! Every adjustment
was tweaked...

What I want is a single pedal to be use with a 18" bass drum, playing
blues, funk, maybe jazz...

Anyway, what I don't like about the IC, it's the feel, not natural at all
for me. I can play heel up and hell down and mix that with heel/toe and
slide technique but it always feel sluggish, not precise, heavy sometimes...

I miss the good old cheap strap pedal with round cam... I could buy a cheap
one but is there a good quality pedal with the ancien feel ? I would like to
try the Jojo Mayer's pedal but not at that price...

Any input is welcome,

Thanks !

Phil.

I was going to suggest the JoJo pedal if you want a no-muss-no-fuss pedal.

But there are plenty of pedals that are just as normal or can be adjusted to whatever feel you like, including no feel at all ('normal' is subjective, but I know what you mean.)

I believe you can still get a round cam, maybe not a strap though, on some of the DW pedals. They would be closest to the JoJo pedal straight out of the box and a lot less money.

Bermuda

If you do have a rolling glide, then it's a round cam. I'm pretty sure that Tama makes a strap that fits your pedal. If you have a power glide, then it has an offset cam. It too can use the strap. You should try the strap. It shouldn't cost much, especially compared to a new pedal. I think a rolling glide IC is about as normal as you can get.

It's usually not the pedal that's the problem.

Just sayin'.

Even so, I can see wanting to make sure that you're just using the basic stuff. Sounds like you are, though. What is the main "feel" problem?

They just reissued the old camco pedal I'd take a look at one of those, it's a super light pedal with amazing feel and response. I'd also recommend a Tama speed cobra, I have a single pedal version and it's like playing telepathically.

It's usually not the pedal that's the problem.

Just sayin'.

Even so, I can see wanting to make sure that you're just using the basic stuff. Sounds like you are, though. What is the main "feel" problem?

Actually, the pedal is fine, very well made, 100% ajustable but it always feel slow or heavy.
Today, again, I played with the spring tension, board angle, beater angle, etc. It's ok but not
great... it's like if the footboard is too heavy or not responsive enough, like too much static
mass for tension...

Phil.

They just reissued the old camco pedal I'd take a look at one of those, it's a super light pedal with amazing feel and response. I'd also recommend a Tama speed cobra, I have a single pedal version and it's like playing telepathically.

I have search the Camco everywhere but cannot find one... I know the reissue from 2011
but tell me more about the new reissue, or maybe we are talking about the same thing ??

Phil.

Actually, the pedal is fine, very well made, 100% ajustable but it always feel slow or heavy.
Today, again, I played with the spring tension, board angle, beater angle, etc. It's ok but not
great... it's like if the footboard is too heavy or not responsive enough, like too much static
mass for tension...

Phil.

Maybe you need a direct drive as opposed to a strap or chain? I've heard they are (as advertised) more direct in resolving your motion into the drum head. I didn't really like em myself, but I think I'm just used to and comfortable with the chain.

I love Tama stuff but I don't prefer the IC's. They feel too heavy to me too. I have been used to DW pedals since 2005. The DW5000 to me is the Speed King of it's era. Been using the same one since 2005. The last 2 teeth on the bottom of the sprocket are worn to nubs lol.

You sound like you want something that isn't over-engineered.

The Pearl 900 Demonator pedal is a no-muss no-fuss pedal that feels light like an old-school pedal. I have one on my practice kit and a Jojo pedal on my gigging kit.

I have search the Camco everywhere but cannot find one... I know the reissue from 2011
but tell me more about the new reissue, or maybe we are talking about the same thing ??

Phil.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/tama-camco-single-pedal

Yes, that is the pedal I am talking about, if you can find one I'd pick it up. I've played on one of the vintage pedals and it was pure bliss for my foot. It's super smooth, very easy to get power and accuracy out of and it's light so it's a very fast responsive pedal.

Back