Favourite rush album?

I've ordered moving pictures now, may order another album later on :), any police recommendations apart from Reggatta De Blanc?
Syncronicity definitely if you don't already have it. It's their best album probably. Definitely their most successful album.

My favorite Rush albums are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals. I haven't heard all their stuff though.

I think I'll go for moving pictures from what i've seen so far, going to buy royal scam by Steely Dan too :) also maybe another police album if anyone has any recommendations?

Yes, Moving Pictures for sure. And Signals.

As for the Police, you could just get the Message in a Box set for $25-$50 and have every song from every album. Ghost in the Machine is my fave.

A Farewell To The Kings.
Moving Pictures.
Hemispheres.
Signals.
Permanent Waves.
Power Windows.

For RUSH, every album has gems. Quintessential albums would me Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves imho. For the Police, they only made five albums (plus the live one), they're all good, get them all. :p Zenyotta and Ghost are my top picks.

Ahhhh, a thread after my own heart!!! :)

See my avatar (or user name) for the answer! ;)

...'subdivisions' is my all-time favorite tune.

"The Analog Kid" for me, mate!

I love that one too...it's my second favorite.

If I had to rate the songs I'd go:

1) Subdivisions
2) The Analog Kid
3) New World Man
4) Loosing It
5) Countdown
6) Chemistry
7) Digital Man
8) The Weapon

..I think that's all of them...

Grace Under Pressure is my personal favorite. I like it mostly because the songs are REALLY good and nobody outside of RUSH fans really know them. It's like Led Zep 3.

How about Roll the Bones.People!!!!!My favorite, Love his snare sound on that .And Moving pictures

Color me the only one to mention it, yet my fave is A Farewell To Kings

Lots of tuned percussion, plenty of 'hard hitting' big sound, fast and slow drumming, yet some subtler drumming as well with feel and technique. Generally play Xanadu and a few other songs during every 'masturbation' session yet lack the concert chimes so use the bells of the crash and ride cymbal as their frequency is 'close enough'. Use the crotales here instead of concert bells Neil employed.

Another fave, non-Rush sorry, that is a go-to is The Flower Kings songs "Driver's Seat" and "The Truth Will Set You Free (live)". They use a drummer and percussionist, yet try to cover BOTH musicians at the same time :) If you have never heard either of these, may i humbly suggest you give them a listen.

Last edited:
I grew up on the keyboard era and worked my way backward to the early days so I'd go with Hold your Fire.

IMO tho Ghost of a Chance is the most killa of killer tracks they have ever made!

It took me about 5 years of listening religiously to complete the CD collection...

First a Buddy Rich thread to make me feel old and now this. Ummm, well, my friend who was editor os some big Guitar Mag (not Vintage Guitar, i know him too and it is not him)... ANYWAY, i gave the Guitar mag editor my Farewell to Kings original concert tee so he could tease Alex about four years ago with it (and no, i looked online and there seem to be no image of the REAL concert tee). Basically Neil, Alex and Geddy all have that long hair almost hippie/burnout looks about them. Kinda retro-cool actually, i should e-mail him and get my shirt back unless he gave it to Alex.

BTW, i still have original copies of Rush's 'Backstage Club' newsletter Neil wrote and even the then new (1980's Backstage Club tee shirt). And yes, also have the 80's Modern Drummers with Neil on the cover. i really like Rush a lot, great musical creativity, expression and amazing sound for only three guys. Of course there is more to life than one band yet yes props to Rush for their many years of excellent musicianship and sound creation.

Why, oh God why am i feeling REALLY old today? (Sigh) Well, so are the sands of time.

"...Here’s a meaning for my life
A shelter from the storm
Pacify my troubles with
Her body, soft and warm

Naked in our unity
A smile for every tear
Gentle hands that promise me
Comfort through the years..."

Back