3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

F

fusssion

Ok, ...I"m sure a lot of you have seen my 70's Ludwig 3 ply restoration kit post, but this is just a tad different and wanted to put it here for a bit ...with, another question.....

I want a wide open sound, but...I do have plugs, and using a clear reso could expose those...so I was thinking coated top and bottom. Aquarian Texture Coated ....(I currently use Super2 coated on my birch kit, ....but asked Aquarian and they recommended the TC.)

When I mentioned the coated bottom, I was instruced to go with the Classic Clear for the more open sound .........I know the TC will dry it up just a bit , but it'll look really nice though, ..nice and clean!

Has anyone played TCs top and bottom on a 3 ply Ludwig kit?!?

Thanks!

Ok, forget Ludwig 3ply ...

Has anyone used Aquarian Texture Coated heads, top and bottom ?! On any kit, ...results, thoughts ??

Thanks.......

OK ....since no one has played a kit with Aquarian Texture Coateds top and bottom....

How about this ........

Here is what I'm going with, ...if anyone has tried this combo, let me know. Since it was suggested that TCs top and bottom may be too dry ....I came up with another combo that was said could be the ticket ....(by the way, Chris Brady at Aquarian is the man!)

Anyhow ...

TC's on top, ...High Frequency coated on the bottoms ...this way I get my coated bottom, but it's a little thinner than the TCs on top, ..so you still have a warm character from the coated, but you still have the opportunity for the drums to sing!

Nice, eh?

OK ....since no one has played a kit with Aquarian Texture Coateds top and bottom....

How about this ........

Here is what I'm going with, ...if anyone has tried this combo, let me know. Since it was suggested that TCs top and bottom may be too dry ....I came up with another combo that was said could be the ticket ....(by the way, Chris Brady at Aquarian is the man!)

Anyhow ...

TC's on top, ...High Frequency coated on the bottoms ...this way I get my coated bottom, but it's a little thinner than the TCs on top, ..so you still have a warm character from the coated, but you still have the opportunity for the drums to sing!

Nice, eh?

This is the combo I was going write when I scrolled down till your third post. I never tried the combo with coated hi-frequency reso but someone on another forum who tried it was really satisfied with the result.

well, every drumset is different, so you may never know until you try them on your particular set. I've never used the Aquarian tc's, but on my Lud 6 plies I'm running some Attack coated mediums as resos and coated emperors on the batters, and those drums sing with this combo. I would imagine single ply coated on both sides would really sing. I've also ran the singly ply coated resos on my thin shelled kellers, and they sang on those too. The resonance seems more pure to me, without the overtones you can get with clear resos. They probably don't ring out as long as the clear single ply, but I didn't notice a significant drop in resonance with the coated ones, and that's with a 2 ply batter. The Aquarian coating is different though, so those may be a little drier than comparable brands.

I think the thinner coated reso would be a good idea to try. I've had good results with thinner resos in the past, but those were clear. I'd be interested in trying some thinner coated resos for the increased sensitivity.

Drumhammerer, ...thanks, ...that's a great post! I'm going with the TCs on top and HF on the bottom (coated)

Ok, ...I"m sure a lot of you have seen my 70's Ludwig 3 ply restoration kit post, but this is just a tad different and wanted to put it here for a bit ...with, another question.....

I want a wide open sound, but...I do have plugs, and using a clear reso could expose those...so I was thinking coated top and bottom. Aquarian Texture Coated ....(I currently use Super2 coated on my birch kit, ....but asked Aquarian and they recommended the TC.)

When I mentioned the coated bottom, I was instruced to go with the Classic Clear for the more open sound .........I know the TC will dry it up just a bit , but it'll look really nice though, ..nice and clean!

Has anyone played TCs top and bottom on a 3 ply Ludwig kit?!?

Thanks!

You might consider the white suedes from Remo. They are closer to clears in sound but would hide your repair work nicely

[The following is all about toms]

I have on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau. The drums sounded great. Granted it's been tough to make them sound anything but good or better. ;)

Right now I have coated Evans G2's over Aquarian TC coated and they sound good as well. The coated over coated solution is warmer than clears but attenuates the highs a bit. On an older vintage style kit this may or may not be what you want.

HTH

JIm

Hey Drumhammerer,
What do you run on your 6-ply bassdrum? Just curious.

Well, I've been very inconsistent with my 6 ply bass drum heads. I bought a bunch of heads from a guy off of Craig's list, and I seem to swich up quite a bit. I have a 22 and a 24. At the moment, I'm running a coated powerstroke 4 on both with the regular PS3 resos. These kicks get a great punchy/round sound with these heads. I tend to run this combo when I'm playing slower stuff, or lower volume stuff. Now, if I'm playing louder gigs with more double bass, I'll switch to the PS3 (mostly coated) with a rolled up towel inside for more definition on the 22. On the 24, I really like the regular coated ambassador with the rolled up towel for good volume and definition. These kicks seem to lack attack, so you've got to work to get definition from them, otherwise they can be difficult to hear within a loud band. The rolled up towel gives them the additional attack that the 3 plies seem to inherently have.

If worse comes to worse, you could also use Remo Smooth Whites as resos. They're like a mid-way between clear and coated, and have that snazzy white look you're after ;]

If worse comes to worse, you could also use Remo Smooth Whites as resos. They're like a mid-way between clear and coated, and have that snazzy white look you're after ;]

TC's on top, and Hi Frequency on the bottom....coated.....

sounds great, and looks clean!

Ok, forget Ludwig 3ply ...

Has anyone used Aquarian Texture Coated heads, top and bottom ?! On any kit, ...results, thoughts ??

Thanks.......

Hi... I have Aquarian TC currently on both top and bottom of my Ludwig Classic Maple. It sounds lovely. Very warm, quite a lot of low end, and very responsive. I do a lot of brush work so that is what I need. I think the coating removes most of the bright overtones that you would get with a clear reso head. I think next time I change the batters I will try Modern Vintage, and keep the Texture Coated on the reso side.

I hope this helps.

Hey guys, new guy here! I am glad to see that other drummers are running coated reso's on there rigs. I have used attack heads for quite a while and I have had a great deal success with them. They got several compliments from soundmen and engineers alike.

Back