Music Pop Stars no longer have to be actual people

That's pretty neat. Cartoon bands like Gorillaz and DeathKloc border on this too.
It's odd to think of how Milli vanilli was lambasted for lip synching and how warm a reception it receives now. The composite girl seems to get past the uncanny valley well, scary thought but a testament to the technology level they've reached.

Does anybody here think Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are real people to begin with? With pop stars like that, why go to the trouble to create one in the computer?

;)

Ever hear of the Archies??

Valid point. But I don't think anyone ever paid money to see the Archies "live in concert."

That's pretty neat. Cartoon bands like Gorillaz and DeathKloc border on this too.
It's odd to think of how Milli vanilli was lambasted for lip synching and how warm a reception it receives now. The composite girl seems to get past the uncanny valley well, scary thought but a testament to the technology level they've reached.

With Deathloc, everyone knows there are real people behind it. I put that more as an extension of Kiss and Gwar, just taken to the next level.

Does anybody here think Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are real people to begin with? With pop stars like that, why go to the trouble to create one in the computer?

;)

LOL...

It's odd to think of how Milli vanilli was lambasted for lip synching and how warm a reception it receives now.

The difference there is that Milli Vanilli lip-synched to someone else's voices, not their own. At least with Britney et al, they sang the songs in the first place.

Bermuda

The difference there is that Milli Vanilli lip-synched to someone else's voices, not their own. At least with Britney et al, they sang the songs in the first place.

Bermuda

If only they had auto-tune back then, too; they might still have their trophies!

And the music is really bitchin too.

The wild part is that we are not that far away from a time in which the simulations will be entirely indistinguishable from reality. The implications are overwhelming.

These guys need to lift their game! They still need real singers for the voice to go with the sequencer and drum machine.

It's important to rub out all traces of humanity so everything can be clean, perfect and cheap. Then they can auto-generate compositions with lyrics written in in C++ for the discerning robot consumer.

I don't get how the business side of this stuff works. Who gets the money? The royalties? Do the actual musicians get paid more? Do the technical developers of the "fake" pop star get any money from record/tour sales? Who do they pay for that toyota advertisement? Is this form of pop star more lucrative than a real one? What are the industry motives here?? Would this change the industry for the better? Or worse...??

So much innovation these days.

I don't get how the business side of this stuff works. Who gets the money? The royalties? Do the actual musicians get paid more? Do the technical developers of the "fake" pop star get any money from record/tour sales? Who do they pay for that toyota advertisement? Is this form of pop star more lucrative than a real one? What are the industry motives here?? Would this change the industry for the better? Or worse...??

So much innovation these days.

Hard to say as I would guess every situation would be different. But I had a friend get on some "making the band" reality tv show (similar to American Idol, I guess), and the contract of winning was downright horrendous. Everything you do is for the shows' producers. Everytime you go out and make money, they're entitled to most of it since they made you the star. You do get paid, but it'sl ike you're an employee of the company. You had to sign waivers giving up your rights to anything original you might do.

She was happy to have been eliminated early on.

Hard to say as I would guess every situation would be different. But I had a friend get on some "making the band" reality tv show (similar to American Idol, I guess), and the contract of winning was downright horrendous. Everything you do is for the shows' producers. Everytime you go out and make money, they're entitled to most of it since they made you the star. You do get paid, but it'sl ike you're an employee of the company. You had to sign waivers giving up your rights to anything original you might do.

She was happy to have been eliminated early on.

That's an eye-opener, although maybe not surprising. The best result would be to get deep into the competition and gain a profile, and then get eliminated to hunt a decent deal from a position of relative power while leaving the winner to pick up the booby prize.

Has there ever been a time when the scene hasn't been full of shysters? I can't think of one. The contractual horror stories seem to stretch back to the 50s.

They had something like it: the vocoder. It made your voice sound just as unnatural.

Yes, and it was quite effective in prog at times. Really, auto-tune in itself isn't a bad effect, just that it's being used like a kid with a new toy, with little care for appropriateness of context. For me, there's also a sense of anti-humanness about the way it's used, which really gets up my (old) nose.

Yes, and it was quite effective in prog at times. Really, auto-tune in itself isn't a bad effect, just that it's being used like a kid with a new toy, with little care for appropriateness of context. For me, there's also a sense of anti-humanness about the way it's used, which really gets up my (old) nose.

The problem is, it's a toy that the kid has had for over a decade...

Back