Too Tight... ! Is it??

Utkikillz

Hi,

I need some "Specific" advice on tuning, (kinnda rookie :-D ) ....

Here's the way i'm currently tuning my kit...

After FINGER TIGHTENING the heads,

1.) Bass Drum- I tighten each screw on the : Reso to about 4-5 "complete turns" with the DrumKey and the Batter about 2.5 full turns.

2.) Toms - Reso about 3 complete turns and Batter around 1.5 complete turns with respect to the key...

The questions are,

Is this tuning TOO TIGHT, specially considering the Bass Drum?

Can this sort of tuning DAMAGE the Lugs and Hoops??

Is this a Bad way of tuning although i find the sound good?

Last edited:
Nah, it shouldn't damage anything. You should be fine.

They sound tight to me. I think my batters on the toms are about 1.5 to 2 turns

They sound tight to me. I think my batters on the toms are about 1.5 to 2 turns

Hi,

Even the Batters on my Toms are low (~1.5 Turns)..

But i was talking about the Reso's being Too Tight (4-5 full turns)... I hope it doesn't rip off the shells/hoops ...

:(

Who are you tuning for?

1. You
2. un miced at 50 foot away
3. Miced

As tuned needs to be changed for each.

I run 4 Tom's and start at g flat with 3 notes between Tom's. With the 16 floor having the reso an octive higher like Bonham.

Drums don't sound like they do to you to the audience. It's important to get the intival right 3 or 5 notes works but you kit will have an ideal tuning point, play around to find it. Tuning is really important, find the kits sweet spot and you will make the kit sing. Check out how the old jazz swing lads tuned or Bonham, it's not what you may think. I tune really high, g flat, d sharp, c, a

It seems to me that you are tuning really tight.
The tension rods on my tom batters are about 1/2 turn from where the tension rod first begins to tension the hoop. Reso's are about the same.
The batter on my bass drum is about 1/2 turn after the rod first begins to tension the hoop.
The rods on the reso are about one turn.
That is on my Rock kit, my Jazz kit is slightly tighter. About 1/2 turn.

It seems to me that you are tuning really tight.
The tension rods on my tom batters are about 1/2 turn from where the tension rod first begins to tension the hoop. Reso's are about the same.
The batter on my bass drum is about 1/2 turn after the rod first begins to tension the hoop.
The rods on the reso are about one turn.
That is on my Rock kit, my Jazz kit is slightly tighter. About 1/2 turn.

Same here Bob. I can't imagine a bass drum head at 4-5 complete turns.

Why not just go by the sound of the drums and just forget the amount of turns that you use. You're way of tuning does not figure in getting each head in tune with itself and this is a critical mistake if you don't want unwelcome harmonics evading and overwhelming your sound.

Dennis

Here's something I've never been quite clear on: is a "full turn" a 360 degree turn, i.e. if your key had no symmetry, it would look the same after a full turn, or 180 degrees, i.e. if your key had one axis of symmetry, it would look the same after this smaller full turn?

Either way, you shouldn't have any issues with heads tearing or things breaking unless you really tighten past the point where the drum starts giving you serious trouble tuning higher. And if you like the sound, then do it!

Here's something I've never been quite clear on: is a "full turn" a 360 degree turn, i.e. if your key had no symmetry, it would look the same after a full turn, or 180 degrees, i.e. if your key had one axis of symmetry, it would look the same after this smaller full turn?

Either way, you shouldn't have any issues with heads tearing or things breaking unless you really tighten past the point where the drum starts giving you serious trouble tuning higher. And if you like the sound, then do it!
Yes, a full turn is 360 degrees, or one complete revolution of the drum key.

It's pretty difficult to damage good equipment by means of tension. I tune my bass drum up pretty high not just because of a nice loud thump, but I love it when the batter tosses the beater back to me. I could never play without shoes, because the beater often gives the top of my foot a good smack.

Before you broke a hoop, I think you'd be more likely to over-stretch the head, or maybe even pull it from the ring. But drum heads are A LOT more sturdy than new drummers and non-drummers think they'd be. Think about a 2B drumstick - there are tree branches thinner than these, and you can break em' all day long and not harm a drum head.

Why not just go by the sound of the drums and just forget the amount of turns that you use. You're way of tuning does not figure in getting each head in tune with itself and this is a critical mistake if you don't want unwelcome harmonics evading and overwhelming your sound.

Dennis

Hi,
Actually i go by the sound only.... But the method i've mentioned here is about getting the "SAME SOUND" every time i tune... After this counting of the turns, i then adjust slightly to get the tension even... Going more on the sound.

Thanks.

:D

Who are you tuning for?

1. You
2. un miced at 50 foot away
3. Miced

Hi,

I tune the Drums this way for Me and a couple of guys playing with me...
and we prefer the sound... But i'll take this into consideration and start tuning a little lower...

Hi,

and we prefer the sound... But i'll take this into consideration and start tuning a little lower...

Actually, higher-tuned toms will, in my experience, sound better at a distance when unmiced. If you're miced, you can have them lower, but I prefer toms with some life in them so I keep mine sort of high. As long as it you like it, you like it. Maybe stand a distance away and have one of the other dudes play on it a little bit and see what you think then?

Hi,

Keep them cranked up then. As said above for miced you should tune lower, but also it depends on what heads you use. Tight for single ply isn't tight for thick dual ply etc.

I think he said he's talking about his reso's which I think everybody missed... To, me that does sound a little tight for reso's but honestly I like them cranked... I think they feel better that way, produce a touch more rebound without raising the batter, the top head resonates more with more sustain... So, for me it's about getting the right mix of overtones from the bottom head and a long enough note from the top head...

Back