2box heads

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I am using real heads on my 2box but it's too noisy.. I tried taping some cloth to the underside of the head but it didn't stop the heads from playing a note. I don't want to put the single ply mesh heads back on because I want a harder playing surface. Has anyone tried the triple ply mesh heads yet? Just wanting to hear some comments as to whether this will improve my situation. Any suggestions welcome.

Are you referring to the billy blast mesh heads? If so, I've used his silicon single ply with good results and did purchase a three ply head, but used it on my sub-kick, so I didn't play on it...looks well made though and more reasonable than other makes...

I am using real heads on my 2box but it's too noisy.. I tried taping some cloth to the underside of the head but it didn't stop the heads from playing a note. I don't want to put the single ply mesh heads back on because I want a harder playing surface. Has anyone tried the triple ply mesh heads yet? Just wanting to hear some comments as to whether this will improve my situation. Any suggestions welcome.

I dont have a 2box kit, but I am using 3 ply Z-ED heads on my snare, high tom and mid tom then a 2 ply on my low tom. The first one I built was the snare with a 2 ply, then when I went to order more they were out of stock so ended up with 3 ply and moved the 2 ply to the low tom and put the 3 ply on the snare. My snare and low tom are 13 inch and my high and mid tom are 12 inch. If you are interested have a look at the thread here : http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92340 and playing here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xx8FsBRXRM and also for rebound here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9PGphXwg5I

There is a fairly large difference between 2 and 3 ply, so I assume there will be a bigger difference from single ply. The main difference is the 2 ply is stretchier than the 3 ply, which is why I swapped to 3 ply on the snare because you can tighten it right up and get it much harder. I dont know the sizes of your 2box pads but if they are smaller than mine then they would go even harder.

Dont know if that helps you, but hopefully you will get something useful out of it.

Last edited:
Scorch - no, just any mesh heads with at least 2 plies really.

Mezzo - thanks, good to know there's a difference between them. Maybe I'll use a 2 ply on the bass drum and 3 on the snare. The 2box doesn't seem to allow for very tight tuning so I'll just have to wait and see but I want to ask you - is the 3 ply anywhere near the feel of a real head in terms of rebound?

Scorch - no, just any mesh heads with at least 2 plies really.

Mezzo - thanks, good to know there's a difference between them. Maybe I'll use a 2 ply on the bass drum and 3 on the snare. The 2box doesn't seem to allow for very tight tuning so I'll just have to wait and see but I want to ask you - is the 3 ply anywhere near the feel of a real head in terms of rebound?

You obviously wont get exactly the same feel on mesh, but the 3 ply is certainly closer, my snare is quite hard, its hard to explain how close it is, but its hard to push the mesh in with your thumbs, I think its about as close as you can go without having a real head. the 2 Ply wont go as hard, its more stretchy, so it suits the low / floor tom better.

Tanks, Mezzo.

Enlarged post.

Back