How quiet is an electronic set?

Orakar

Hey Drummerworld!

I've recently been forced to stop playing my acoustic drum set, because it's simply too loud. Knowing that everyone can a) hear me and b) probably doesn't want to is really off putting, and makes me not want to play.

So I've been researching electronic kits, and the Roland TD4-KX seems like a great electronic kit (since it has double bass kicks on it as standard, mesh heads, a good module, etc).

I was wondering how quiet the Roland td4kx would be while I had headphones in. Will people in my house/next door be able to hear me? How loud will it be?

I'm not sure about how the Roland drum works, either. Is the skin much like an acoustic skin with a trigger on it, therefore making a loud noise even when you're not amped?

Thanks a lot, in advance :)
Matt

Electronic kits are quiet, but keep in mind that if you have people living under you they'll hear the pedal stomp. It's like someone using an hammer on the floor.

You can put something like a thick carpet under the kit to muffle a bit the stomp.

Thanks for the reply :)
I've already got a thick carpet, so that's fine. I should be OK with an electronic kit then.

I might not buy the Rowland TD4KX now, as I've found that it doesn't have a double bass as standard.

Hey there!
I have an electronic kit (a Roland actually, which I would highly recommend) and it is excellent for practice. You shouldn't have a problem with the neighbours, but keep in mind that while it is much quieter than an acoustic by a long shot, this doesn't mean it is silent, so if you had ideas of practicing late into the night that wouldn't really be feasible. I guess it is a little louder than a practice pad, so in a house with thin walls it is still audible.
I guess I would recommend heading to a music store to see for yourself. I hope that helps!

The pedal stomp can't be understated - if you live in a house with floorboards the kick will travel easily to the downstairs. Less of a problem with concrete floors obviously. If you're setting up for practice a good way round this is to set up an acoustic bass drum with a mesh head fitted, this also has a more realistic feel.

Hi
I just moved to a condo...I have a Roland HD-1...very quiet no pedal noise. It very good for practice. Denis

I live in units and I am far from being a loud player, but the woman next door can still hear the kick drum pad. Fortunately, we're on friendly terms.

I have a double bass on my TD-3. It works fine.

I usually play anywhere 10pm to 1 am ish. My family sleeps through it and the neighbors house (10 feet away) had no idea when I asked them if they heard me.

The mesh heads are quieter overall.

I have a TD12 and took my headphones off to listen last night. I've gotta say it was louder than I was hoping. The neighbour has never complained but I figure I owe him. In particular the bass and hat pedals were the loudest. And it is less about the hit and more about the mechanical noise. I have Tama Iron Cobra and Road Pro pedals. I don't know if other makes are quieter.

Davo

My Pintech mesh head pads are pretty quiet. My Ddrum 12" mesh head pad is somewhat louder. My previous Alesis 5 Pro heads (mylar over rubber) were louder still.

Barry

I have a Yamaha DTXplorer edrum kit and its really loud with my headphones in, puts off my family from working (unless they're at the other end of the house with a few shut doors inbetween), but since Roland often incorporate mesh heads into their kits and focus solely on edrum kits, unlike Yamaha who make all sorts of instruments (and non instruments alike), the quality and application of one of these kits in a house may be more practical, i.e. more adapted for quiet drumming

Back