The BEST drum stool?

One thing to consider is that many bicycle style seats are pre-formed, which can be a problem because they force you to sit IN the seat. And, if yours is not the a$$ that formed it, it can feel like you're being held captive by the depressions. That's one reason I really like the Tama First Chair model. It has the cut-outs for the back of your thighs, yet it is not molded to anyone's a$$.

The other thing to consider is the thickness and firmness. Sure, you can try sitting on a throne in a store, but almost any seat will feel comfortable under those circumstance. But seats that are comfortable then, even if you sit in them for an hour, are usually the ones that wear out fast or become uncomfortable during a gig because they are too soft. This is another reason why I prefer the Tama First Chair. With all the moving around a drummer does, the seat cushion needs to be thick and firm to be supportive. Lower-line chairs often sport thinner cushions, so even if they are firm, they're too thin to maintain their shape over any practical time-frame, and you end up feeling the wood in the seat, a la the Princess and the Pea debacle. Thick, firm foam will ensure comfort and support, as well as will retain its shape over time. Such a seat also won't get a$$ dimples in it, so you'll always be able to sit ON it, and not get "sucked into" it.

That's one reason I really like the Tama First Chair model. It has the cut-outs for the back of your thighs, yet it is not molded to anyone's a$$.
I agree, I have a Gibraltar bike style seat and the molding tends to pinch me in the jewel area. I also have a Tama First Chair and It is much more comfortable.

I own both the roc-n-soc nitro and the Tama First chair.............IMO the Roc-n-soc is the better of the two and I can't say enough good things about it.............. it's not even close.

Cool. Good timing on this Topic!

I own 2 Roc N Soc Nitro Ride Thrones, both in boring blue. I remember how much I dug the gas-adjustable lever. It's still nice to have, but not essential.

So, I'm selling one Nitro Ride on Sunday here in SF, CA & have ordered a Tama HT650C Round Rider Hydraulix Drum Throne from Fork's Drum Closet! Wee! I can't wait to have a comfy, cool-looking, cool (temp.-wise), supportive throne that doesn't impede my hamstrings the way my Nitro Rides do. I think they were fine when I was a skinny 153 lbs @ 18 yrs old, but weighing 245 lbs @ 42yo has really changed things for me. (My other passion is Bodybuilding. So I'm buffed but my body fat is 20%, too damn high!)

My posture's always upright & perfect, honestly. I'm weary of my Nitro Rides' material heating way the hell up after my first hour of jamming & they're just waaay too cushy-soft for my taste. I've always felt like I'm playing IN it, & not ON it. Does anyone else use a Tama 1st Chair Round Rider Throne? I feel like a kid expecting Santa. Heh. :)

41ke7oNcUZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't wait to have a comfy, cool-looking, cool (temp.-wise), supportive throne that doesn't impede my hamstrings the way my Nitro Rides do.... I've always felt like I'm playing IN it, & not ON it
I think the reason this happens is BECAUSE the forming of the seat makes you sit IN it, thereby putting more pressure on your hamstrings. I think you'll like the 1st Chair in this regard, but out of curiosity, why didn't you get the model with the leg cutouts, and why did you go cloth instead of vinyl? Personally, I don't like how cloth tends to grab onto my pants, whereas vinyl makes for easier shifting of position, without "getting my panties in a bunch" :) when necessary.

I think you'll like the 1st Chair in this regard, but out of curiosity, why didn't you get the model with the leg cutouts, and why did you go cloth instead of vinyl? Personally, I don't like how cloth tends to grab onto my pants, whereas vinyl makes for easier shifting of position, without "getting my panties in a bunch" :) when necessary.

Good to hear, Mr.LeadFoot. I don't like the slipperiness of Vinyl, the fact that moisture sits atop it, or the aesthetics (i.e., looks) of the ergo or any brand's tractor-style seat these days. I used to, when they were the swanky "new" throne style. I love the symmetrical look of Tama's Round Rider.

Either way, I keep a new, clean hand towel over my throne's seat, in the name of preserving it. Both of my Roc N Socs look new still, made my selling one of them for $110 a cinch. ;)

A third (fourth?) vote for the Tama Ergo-Rider with backrest. It's vinyl so I use a hotel hand towel on it under my behind.

Back