How much music do you listen to?

DrumDoug

This might be an odd question to ask a bunch of musicians, but how much time do you spend listening to music just for the enjoyment of it? I'm either rehearsing or gigging 4 or 5 nights a week. The only time I listen to music is when I am trying to learn a new song for one of the bands I'm in. I've thought more than once that for a quy that claims to love playing music than doing anything, I don't spend any time listening to it anymore. When I was younger I listened to a lot and I have a garage and storage unit full of CD and tapes to prove it, but now days, I find that because I spend so much of my time surrounded by music, that when I have some free time, I would rather read or watch TV or a movie.

When I drive, all day at work (8 hours/day), and when I travel for work (a fair amount). Pretty much always just my ipod/droid/laptop on shuffle.

Slayer atm.

I'm not listening to music a lot. Don't have an mp3 player (never had), no iPod, no (never had) hifi system. (Being a youth I had a ghetto blaster, now I'm listening to music at the PC or via my active studio speakers in my homestudio.) About half of the time I'm listening to music it wil be my own stuff - listening back to demo versions or works in the process helps me to identify parts which still need work, or just for pleasure if I like it as is. I have way more practice time (when I'm usually not listening to music while practicing) compared to "really" listening to music.

Generally: never listening to the radio (there was a time long ago when I did though). (I don't want to expose myself to other people's musical preferences.)

When driving: no music, no radio. In the past I liked to listen to guitar hero stuff or Metallica, Iron Maiden. I just got used to not listening to music when driving (I don't drive a lot.)

No band activities (never have), no gigging (never have). Just playing/practicing for fun (most of the time) or sometimes creating stuff in my homestudio.

A few hours a day maybe - much more of a fan than a player these days.YouTube is main source of new music.

The radio in the car ... often it's just background because there's not much good on ... I'd call that more hearing than listening.

All day.

Everyday.

It never leaves me head, whether produced by headphones, speakers or just my good ole' imagination, I am in constant musical motion.

... I'd call that more hearing than listening.

Yeah, we hear a lot of music from various sources, but how much of it do we actually want listen to, huh? In my last job it was just me and two other drafters and we all had music and speakers. I mostly like to work in silence unless it's a monotonous task, but at this job I had to listen to music through my headphones all the time to drown out the Mexican Talk Radio and the Ranchera music (think Mexican Polka) these guys would play loudly through their speakers all day long. Ai-yi-yi-yi !!!

Now that I'm not working, most of my listening is on YouTube discovering new stuff.

Lots. Driving, hanging out, on the computer, after a gig, before a gig... You get the idea.

Not much except for youtube where I search out a lot of stuff I don't have. And I do listen to KUT when driving. Public radio from UT Austin that have DJ's with decades of music knowledge. I think it's one of the best stations in the country.

I'll be buying an Onkyo integrated amp and Cerwin Vega speakers soon to play along to. I have a cheapie CD player. I'll be listening a lot then.

I used to have music on *constantly*.

Now I mainly listen to non-music podcasts.

But when I put on music, I really listen... usually on my beloved Sennheiser headphones...
and still get eargasms all the time. :)

Patrice

I listen to about 1-2 hours each night before bedtime after my wife & daughter go to bed.

Sometimes passively since I'm also listening in conjunction with reading other times - strictly actively listening where I give my undivided attention to the music. Always with a cold bottle of beer.

I'll sometimes have the same 5 cd's in the player for 2 months before I move on.

From 930 - 10am in the car on the way to the office. (Sirius/XM or iPod)
10am - 6pm at the office. (iTunes or internet radio)
6 - 6:45 on the way home. (Sirius/XM or iPod)

More at home depending on what I'm doing.

Current track: Hurricane - Kyuss

At work I have to concentrate sometimes at a level where I can not listen to anything. But when I am just doing things that I do not have to concentrate too hard, I like to listen to CD that I own and ripped into a memory device.

Lately my commute is through a lot of congested areas, and some Olatunji, or Elvin Jones, makes the commute a whole lot easier on the nerves.

Usually after dinner I strap on the headphones, throw on Pandora, and surf the net for a couple of hours each night.

A lot.

There is no precise figure I can give you, I just know I listen to a lot of music.

8 hours a day Monday-Friday. I have 85 hours on my hard drive at work. A bunch of old pop and Top 40. Playing now is Bread's "Guitar Man". (I'm so lame..) On weekends it's time to pull out the old vinyl.

Back