heads for birch?

Hey man, judging by your username, I assume what you mean by a rich and deep sound is something on the dampened, short in sustain, and fat sounding side. If I am right then here is what I have to say:

- Nothing against Remo but I find that Evans generally better for a heavy hitter or someone who likes to thrash.

- Snare: Evans Coated Power Center Reverse Dot -over- Hazy 300

- Toms: Evans Clear EC2 w/ SST (Sound-Shaping Technology) -over- Evans Clear G1 or Evans Clear GPlus

- Kick: Clear EMAD, EMAD2, or GMAD -over- Evans EMAD resonant, or EQ3

Those are my reccomendations. Good luck!
- Max

I can vouch for the clear EC2 SST's and the Power Center.

The EC2's are amazing and I would highly recommend them. I found my sound with them!

As for the power center reverse dot, I didn't really like it that much. However the EC2 reverse dot is absolutely killer.

For bass I would actually recommend the EQ3. It's very articulate and loud. Whereas the emad/gmad/emad2 are all quieter. Hoever if you want to go with those I would recommend the Emad2.

I recommend Evans Hydraulics over G1. That's what I have on my toms. It has a great attack to it with the right amount of sustain, I have em tuned up pretty high. It's a birch PDP 805.

I play coated Emperors over clear Ambassadors on my Yamaha 9000/RC kit [12/13/16/22] except for the bass drum which has an Aquarian Force 1 batter and the stock (Ebony?) resonant head. I would certainly describe the sound as deep and rich.

I heard that Carter Beauford has coated Emperors (or Emperor X) over Ebonys on his RCs and I'd say his sound is about as rich as it gets. I'd be tempted to try Ebony resonants on my toms but they are inexplicably expensive compared to most other Remo heads in my part of the world.

Back