Ludwig P-86 Question

Mr.L

Remember my Supraphonic from the other thread? Well, the lever on the throw-off split in half. I can still pry it open and closed, but it takes about 3-4 minutes to do and I can tell it's gonna annoy the poo out me.

Just wondering if the P-86 throw-offs would fit and old 1976 Supra, and if not, what should I get?

I'm not positive, but I don't think anything of significance has changed in the design of Supras over the decades. I would be very surprised if the bolt hole spacing were any exception.

My Supra had the P-85 on it and swapping it to the P-86 took about 5 minutes (4 of those were removing the head and putting it back on again).

Aha! It's you from my Supra thread!
Anyway, thanks for the quick response! What would be the lowest prices that you could possibly give me that would ship to Canada?

I don't know about that. I paid 40 USD for mine, and that seemed pretty typical for about every website I went to that had them. I have no idea about how available they might be in Canada or whether you'd have to order one from the States and pay extra.

I like the P-86 a bit better than the 85, but I don't know if I'd bother if I had to do it over again. However, since yours is thrashed, you have an excellent reason to make the switch!

Thank you very much Mike!
I do a bit o' checking 'round the Internet and see what there is to see. Hopefully I'll have a P-86 soon!

No problem. If you have any trouble finding one that's reasonable, I've got a relatively new P-85 sitting around doing a lot of nuthin'. Let me know, I'll give it to you for the price of shipping.

PM me with the price, and we can talk about it a wee bit more privately.

Ditto.

I have also 1976 Supra and a 1976 Acrolite and replaced both P-85's with P-86's. The upgrade in my opinion was well worth it. Like Mike I paid around 39.99 plus tax for them. Since the P-86 allows for snare wire mounting using fabric tape, I outfitted both snares with the Puresound Custom Pro gettup and they both sound superb.

One thing to note with your 76 drum is that you will most likely have to use the original screws that currently hold your p-85 in place, as the holes in the shell are a bit small for the mounting screws that come with the strainer. This was the case with both of my snares.

The price is a bit steep in CAD$$, 80.00 at the lowest so far. (Musician's Friend)

Wow, that's a lot for a P-86. That's the cost of a Brass version.

The hole spacing is exactly the same for 85's and 86's.

I changed all my 85's to 86's.
They just work nicer, and they look a lot nicer too.

They still have the screws to tighten the strap/wire/string, but I don't find that it needs much to keep the wire in place (I use that Blue Pure Sound wire). Not one of 10 has stripped yet (4 & 5 years on a couple 86's).

Why they stuck with the stupid screws when they first made these I'll never know (Bean counters? Small key screws were .3 cents more?).

Good luck with your drum MrL!

When I find one for a good deal, I'm swapping out the P-85 for a P-86 on my Ludalloy Supra. FAR SUPERIOR THROWOFF!

I'm a P-85 hater. I can't believe it's still being put on higher end Ludwig snares. It's 1930s technology that has failed under use in a short period of time, every time. They continue to use it...obviously there are 1000s of them in the Monroe factory Ludwig needs to burn through before changing.

The P-85 and those dang 70s-80s square/curved bass drum spurs are my only beefs with Ludwig.

Back