A Year On

• Thread starter Mediocrefunkybeat
  • Start date
M

Mediocrefunkybeat

It's been over a year since our friend and forum member Finn Higgins decided to take his own life after a long battle with mental illness. None of us - that is, those of who considered him a friend - knew about the struggle he was undergoing. Only in passing did he ever communicate. On March the 8th (this coming Sunday) will mark the year anniversary of the discovery of his body and the end of the agonising emotional stress that the label 'missing person' can bring; only to be replaced by a deeper sense of loss.

Those of you who did not know Finn, he was a brilliant, brilliant intellect with strong feelings and views, but also a respect for those around him. He wasn't by any means 'perfect'. Sometimes his views caused arguments and disagreements and he was never one to back down from verbal repartee - but such is the spice of life.

I want to urge - as a result of all of this - anybody who has any issues with mental illness; especially depression to seek professional advice. Unfortunately Finn was an all-too-common case of a distinct lack of such help and solace in dark times. I myself have suffered from similar symptoms in the past to a lesser extent and I know what a difference intervention can make. I urge anybody here or anywhere with these feelings and emotional problems to seek help. It will help you, your family and everybody around you and will help put an end to the suffering and raise the light in your life, and theirs.

Duncan

Well said my friend. I'm sure Finn would appreciate your concern and feelings and I and your other Brothers on this site do indeed need to heed your warning. I for one take my "happy" pill everyday to get through some depression and anxiety ills. Thanks for this concerned post.

That's real sad, i must say i felt like killing myself about this time last year as i was struggling with problems of my own. I think i'm out of the worst of it forturnately though. I guess it's always one of those big "what ifs?" if he hadn't decided to do it. I'm glad people are actually concerned about stuff like this on here i remember they were talking about a kid killing himself on UG and half the comments were along the lines of "stupid attention seeking kid deserved to die" which i just think is f*cking stupid because why the hell would someone actually do that just to grab attention?

I didn't know the man, but I raise a toast to all the inspirational characters on this forum, past & present who stir the pot, and add to what we already think & feel.

Some of them add a sense of discomfiture to our placid mindsets by challenging our preconceived notions and make us think differently.

I for one, welcome that.

There are many very special people like that here.

Finn was one of them, I guess.

FH commands such loyalty from so many here, even a year on, that I doff my non existent cap to his incredible spirit which still seems to permeate these boards.

He's still there on some member's signatures.

Here's to happiness... yours, mine, MFB's & Finn's..

( God, cheap wine really really sucks )

Last edited:
Since I joined this forum in 2005 I always considered Finn a forum dad.
He certainly shared wise words as well as great great playing.

He was a nice person who had an opinion. Unfortunately I`ve never known him well...just the silhouette.

Anyway I´d be very very happy to share his solo again. He liked to call it "Rather Random Noise". Such a modest title...

Karl

Attachments

• Finn`s solo.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 263
I miss him greatly. I don't think anybody here has stepped up to his mantle - which is not a slight at anybody; just a level upon which only few can stand.

I didn't know he killed himself....
Very good post MFB and (even though I wasn't on the forum when he was) I apreciate you showing your feelings. It's a true sign of respect if I ever did see one.

I miss him greatly. I don't think anybody here has stepped up to his mantle - which is not a slight at anybody; just a level upon which only few can stand.

Yeah, I have to agree.

Back then, this forum possessed a great deal of spiritual and intellectual depth. That's not a slight towards current posters, merely an aside to signify a different kind of conversational direction. During that era people waxed eloquently on any number of subjects, while usually conjuring a way to relate those constructs to music in general and drumming in particular.

Three years ago, I remember how exciting it was to come here for no other reason than to be challenged, not always by the ideas themselves but by the process. I grew so much back then without ever picking up a drumstick. You arrived to a thread with a direction in mind. You didn't ramble or there was hell to pay. Most significantly, you cleaned up your writing because it was understood that words meant something. There was none of that It's just the Internet garbage back then, and you were proud to meet those expectations.

Finn was definitely the one spearheading all that.

Thanks for the reminder Duncan.

Drummerworld sure isn't what it used to be. Finn was one of those spirits that actually challenged ones knowledge on different aspects of life and drumming. Those with the drive and looking for a challenge could end up in some really nice heated discussions with him and others. Regardless on the differences of opinon it was always great discussion material that would draw us in. Those days are long gone on this forum along with Finn.

I still think about him quite a bit. It's too bad that most of the genre that was around back then don't frequent the forum anymore. It sure would be nice to get some of that back. I miss the days when drummerworld was full of rich conversation, humor, drama and love. I find myself lacking the desire to get involved in deep discussions on the forum these days due to the fact that the thread will probabaly deleted quickly. It is what it is I guess. Shame.

We miss ya Finn.

I've been away from drummerworld for a long time, so i wasn't here when he passed. I came back a few weeks ago, and as i was reading through some old threads i came upon a post by Finn. By his name there was a scary message, so i checked his profile-info, and the messages left to him said RIP and such. I hoped it meant something else but what could it be? A joke maybe? I was afraid to ask because of the sensitive subject, but now the fear is confirmed...

Finally i would just like to say,

i really liked him.

Very well said indeed, Duncan. I don't think any of us that knew Finn in whatever capacity will ever forget him. It was hard to believe then what had happened and I'm not sure, if I think about about it, it's any easier now.

I think PMS summed it up:

Finally i would just like to say,

i really liked him.

Me too.

G

I didn't know him but have read many of his posts. I always wondered why he stopped posting.... now I know.

Today is the year anniversary of the eventual discovery of Finn's fate after an agonising search. In my mind, this is the day he truly left us. I will be sparing a thought for him today.

Oh my gosh... Yes finally another thread about Finn...

I used to always visit the old thread to read how everyone liked him.... he was awesome

Such a sad set of circumstances... I truly hope, like MFB said so well, that people can find help in these situations before another precious life is snatched from us.

As a new member but senior "lurker" I have read several of his posts. I wont pretend to Know him like many of you did, but he seemed like a sincere person. Its really a shame, a big "what if?" question. I've dealt with friends who have experienced suicide attempts. I'm just glad I never lost them. I think its important to reach out, somthing as simple as taking the time to talk to the person can help.

Rest In Peace

I haven't posted on here in quite sometime, possibly two years or more so I was very late to hear of Finn's passing.... as in I found out yesterday. I was very distressed and saddened by this news, even such a long time afterwards. A brilliant mind and kind man. I really liked Finn a lot.

Back