Good Drum rack to buy

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I am in need of a good drum rack, and I have found with my birthday around the corner that I should start looking for one that I could possibly receive for such an occasion.

What I am currently considering is a Gibraltar rack starter set with wing attachments. I consider this a good deal because Gibraltar's same model without the wings costs more, at least on Musiciansfriend.

Here's the link to the product's page: http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ack-Starter-Pack-with-Curved-Wings?sku=447783

Any suggestions or comments should be made on the assumption I have a six-piece Pearl set. I'd like to hear your opinion(s) on this.

Not trying to be funny, but why do you want a rack?

They're every bit as heavy as normal hardware, and unless you have someone to set up and tear down your equipment, I find they're a much, much bigger pain for making adjustments and adapting to changing gig situations. Not every room is the same size and not every gig requires the same kit, "standard" hardware provides more options and usually uses a smaller - and more adaptable - footprint.

Sorry, I'm ranting a little here, but my experience is that they're far, far more trouble than they are worth. There's a reason they didn't catch on - particularly with gigging drummers - and more guys simply use standard hardware set ups. If you're going to set up your kit in a studio and leave it there, or you're playing big stages and have a drum tech to set up and tear down for you, racks are great. But once you start to add/subtract drums and cymbals, or need to squeeze into a tiny corner of a pub, they can be a headache.

That said, my experience with Gibraltar products has been (mostly) good. I don't have particular experience with their rack systems, but I'm sure they do what they say on the tin. Also, from what I've seen, Yamaha's new system has a very elegant and slick design concept going on. The hex shape will make keeping things in place easier than with a round tube, and they seem to have considered ergonomics carefully.

Not trying to be funny, but why do you want a rack?

They're every bit as heavy as normal hardware, and unless you have someone to set up and tear down your equipment, I find they're a much, much bigger pain for making adjustments and adapting to changing gig situations. Not every room is the same size and not every gig requires the same kit, "standard" hardware provides more options and usually uses a smaller - and more adaptable - footprint......
.....The hex shape will make keeping things in place easier than with a round tube, and they seem to have considered ergonomics carefully.

Just a couple notes. The footprint on my kit (five piece w/ 9 cymbals) mounted to a PDP/Gibraltar rack, substantially decreased with the use of a rack vs. stands. Adjusting the four lateral feet of the rack to squeeze into corners or smaller stages has been much less a fiasco on gig night than even I thought it would be. I used to have to either move or completely subtract a cymbal and it's stand without the rack at some places using single stands. I suppose the only real complaint I've ever had with the rack is the awkwardness of not being able to case it for travel. The rack definitely requires a little more man-power and some kind of vehicle that can accommodate the tubes.

And second, I also use a Yammie Hex rack at the church I play at, and the hex design merely is a mount that holds a rubber ROUND omni-ball with an inner-hex that fits over the tube, and than the tom/accessory mounts over the ROUND ball. So, in a sense, it's still round. It's not metal to metal tubes and accessory mounts, but still not really any better than round tube design.

I think you'll find that people who have had problems with their round tube racks are pushing the limits of logic by not using memory locks, hanging excessively heavy items, bashing completely too hard, or completely overtightening to where the clamps can't be tight any more. The same could definitely apply for any rack used improperly.

Again, my experience. OP, if you can, go and play a kit mounted on a rack to test drive. There are a few different choices out there so do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of info with other people's experiences and then you should be able to make a better informed decision.

With the exception that the round ball clamps doesn't need a memory lock (so it is stronger)

I have a custom setup with the Hex and have a few heavy things on the clamps (main snare, ride cymbal etc) and it doesn't move a mm. So in that sentence I think it is better than round.

Not to mention that it is lighter (also because you don't need memorylocks for the ballclamps)

They lowered the price of the racks to. So it's definitely worthy to check out.

With the exception that the round ball clamps doesn't need a memory lock (so it is stronger)

I have a custom setup with the Hex and have a few heavy things on the clamps (main snare, ride cymbal etc) and it doesn't move a mm. So in that sentence I think it is better than round.

Not to mention that it is lighter (also because you don't need memory locks for the ballclamps)

I checked out your setup, nice!

With what you have posted (music) doesn't sound like your hands are that heavy based on the music style (I could be wrong). I don't believe you'd need memory locks for anything you have mounted on a non-hex design rack either.

Granted, I think the hex omni-ball is probably strong er as well, but the difference between the two is negligable at best.

My use of memory locks is not primarily for strength, but for memory and ease of setup. If it keeps things from moving, great! I'm not sure about your kit, but with as much as you have mounted, how could you not use memory locks?

Just a couple notes. The footprint on my kit (five piece w/ 9 cymbals) mounted to a PDP/Gibraltar rack, substantially decreased with the use of a rack vs. stands.

Fair enough. With 9 cymbals, I could see where a rack would be a great advantage. I was thinking more of a fairly standard gigging setup: 4-5 drums and 2-4 cymbals. That, and for me at least, transportation ease is a huge issue. I do a lot of one nighters on tours, and moving in and out of theatres (small pits, cramped quarters) and a rack just won't cut the mustard.

Fair enough. With 9 cymbals, I could see where a rack would be a great advantage. I was thinking more of a fairly standard gigging setup: 4-5 drums and 2-4 cymbals. That, and for me at least, transportation ease is a huge issue. I do a lot of one nighters on tours, and moving in and out of theatres (small pits, cramped quarters) and a rack just won't cut the mustard.

Yeah. Definitely agree. The use of a rack depends so highly on how much stuff you decide on using and how forced you end up being to having to change the setup on the fly.

I think having both stands, and a rack, is the way to go. Best of both worlds. Then you're "ready" for any senario.​
You may find yourself in a situation where your rack won't fit in the "band space" available. I've been in situations where half my kit stayed in the car, simply because of "no room". The more adjustable and flexable you are, the more versatility you will be able to enjoy.​
I'd take the $300 and spend it on a "used" Pearl Icon rack. I ran an "older" DR-100 rack for 15 years. Tough as nails. If you need to get on and off the stage in a hurry (1 hr time slots), the rack is "custom built" for that purpose.​

Alright, allow me to clarify.

the reasons I want a rack are as follows:

I want more flexibility in positioning. My Pearl Tom arms can only go so far, and I prefer to have my toms closer to me. I cannot accomplish this with tom arms.

I once heard something about resonance when toms aren't mounted in the bass drum, apparently there is sympathetic vibrations between the toms and the bass drum or the extra appendage dampens resonance. either way, it's not a major reason

The particular model of rack I displayed in my original post had two cymbal boom arms, and I was expanding my cymbal set-up anyway.

other than those reasons, I had no motivation to buy a rack.

However, I did have a plan for moving my set in the situation that demanded it. keeping the tom arms would allow me to be able to mount them in my bass drum, so the movement issue does not pose a problem.

Not to mention that it is lighter (also because you don't need memorylocks for the ballclamps)

I second the hex rack!...best rack on the market!..:)

Back