So DW brings out the new 9000 pedal...

BigDinSD

Gold Member
It was just a matter of time...

3 interesting improvements. It's got that friendly bass drum hoop clamp seen on the DW5000 and the Ludwig Atlas pedals. Supposedly an easier to adjust cam. Rubberized bottom. I was wondering if they re-engineered the U joint axle. That wasn't mentioned.

Interesting still. $30 more than the original. (double pedal)

http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/9000/pedals.asp

They should have given it a zero latency driveshaft like the pearl has.

I'll prob be getting one in the new year anyway.

or like the Tricks. I'll keep using my DW9000 single. But I'm good with my Trick Doubles...

Can you please tell us more about these zero latency driveshafts? :)

They sound awefully enticing!

http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12749

Searching that link for you, I stumbled on the pearl forum and they were saying that they do develop play over time but mine feels 100% after 2-3 years of ownership. I have tried to fit this part to the DW9002 in store and it didn't work, but APPARENTLY the axis equivalent can be used universally.

DW do offer one, I emailed them about it a while ago but it was pricey and IMO should come with the pedal as standard as lag is the devil.

http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12749

Searching that link for you, I stumbled on the pearl forum and they were saying that they do develop play over time but mine feels 100% after 2-3 years of ownership. I have tried to fit this part to the DW9002 in store and it didn't work, but APPARENTLY the axis equivalent can be used universally.

DW do offer one, I emailed them about it a while ago but it was pricey and IMO should come with the pedal as standard as lag is the devil.

$320 for the DW. Man, that's f'n expensive. $120 for the AXIS u joint which I here is good.

Can you please tell us more about these zero latency driveshafts? :)

They sound awefully enticing!

Heck, consider the Trick pedals. Pretty solid zero latency U joints. And very smooth overall. Built very solid and durable.

Still not offering the 9000's in a longboard I see. Bet a lot more metal guys would be using them if they did. You can get the 5000 and the 8000 (when they made them) with the long board, but not the 9000? Shame, they are great feeling pedals, silky smooth, but that hinge-heel plate design is horrible.

And yes, the AXIS universal shaft is $120, and it's a nice improvement for sure.

Heck, consider the Trick pedals. Pretty solid zero latency U joints. And very smooth overall. Built very solid and durable.

But those are mad expensive!! 840 some dollars??

unless they're REALLY worth it, hah

I owned a DW 9000 and never got on very well with it. I tried all kinds of adjustments, changed from chain to strap and it always felt heavy and I really felt like it was fighting me. My calf would cramp at the end of a long gig with this pedal.

I sold it and changed to the Sonor Perfect Balance pedal and I am very happy with it. Very quick, smooth, light feel. This pedal feels like it is stuck to my foot and anything my foot can do this pedal can do. It is also quite a bit less expensive than the DW9000. I will probably get a couple more for use with my other sets.

The stock DW beater is very heavy. I always use the Yamaha felt beaters, they are the lightest beaters out there.

Stupid expensive (Bigfoot & Pro1-V). I picked up the Dominator double pedal for $475. Extremely smooth and well built with top quality material. That was my main concern.

I'll say it again though, I've seen some cats shred with some ugly pedals.

Stupid expensive (Bigfoot & Pro1-V). I picked up the Dominator double pedal for $475. Extremely smooth and well built with top quality material. That was my main concern.QUOTE]

They don't have a Dominator that isn't a longboard do they?

Why don't more companies do what Pearl did the Demon? Both long and short in one pedal.

I played the Trick Pro-1v single pedal that I got for $369 and as much as I liked it, I kept doing things to it to make it feel like my old DW5000 pedal, which is just an improvement over the old skool Camco chain drive pedal from the 60s/70s. So of course at that point, I couldn't justify using it if I made it feel just like my second-hand Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedal I got at the time for $50.

I did eventually upgrade to the strap-drive Iron Cobra and I like that. I guess my foot will never need an over-priced pedal ;)

I played the Trick Pro-1v single pedal that I got for $369 and as much as I liked it, I kept doing things to it to make it feel like my old DW5000 pedal, which is just an improvement over the old skool Camco chain drive pedal from the 60s/70s. So of course at that point, I couldn't justify using it if I made it feel just like my second-hand Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedal I got at the time for $50.

I did eventually upgrade to the strap-drive Iron Cobra and I like that. I guess my foot will never need an over-priced pedal ;)

Skills over gear.....

So...

if you see a DW9000 in the stores, is there an easy way to tell if it's the new one?

Maybe the new ones aren't even available yet?

Back