How much noise does it make?

unknown2u2a

I'm thinking about buying an electronic drum kit but I'm worried that I end up making a lot of noise with the bass pedal then I can't really practice much...

Is there any way for me to know so I won't buy it for nothing?

Play one!

Mesh head bass drums will make less noise. Rubber ones make more noise. If you hit a rim on an electric kit it will make more noise than the bass drum however. But you really should play one.

They make about as much noise as a drum practice pad or people talking normally in a room.
About 60db.
Is someone lives below an e-kit they will hear noise through the floor from the pedals thumping on the pads.
That is the biggest complaint about them. Neighbors hear them through the floor.
If you have no one below you there probably won't be any complaints about you playing one.

Oh I see...
And does putting a carpet really help with the noise through the floor?

I also read somewhere a plywood with a carpet from both sides helps...
And I read that crazy thing with the tennis balls but that's just way off....

then tennis ball supported riser is the best thing that I have seen for solving a noise transfer through a floor issue.

Or high density foam rubber or silicone such as an exercise mat, yoga mat, or gym equipment mat. Those will disperse the vibration of the kick pedal and kick pad better than carpet or plywood, and probably better than a tennis ball also.

Or high density foam rubber or silicone such as an exercise mat, yoga mat, or gym equipment mat. Those will disperse the vibration of the kick pedal and kick pad better than carpet or plywood, and probably better than a tennis ball also.

Thanks for posting that. I've always seen the tennis ball riser suggested as the way to deal with the vibration. Buying an exercize mat sure is easier than building a riser, so I'll remember that if the need arises.

I built the tennis ball riser and it works great!! I used a 4'x4' sheet of 5/8" plywood, cut it diagonally making 2 triangles (cut corner to corner) drilled 7 1.5" holes.. installed balls....(tennis balls that is..lol)...and plastic wire tied together.. it took less then a 1/2 an hour and about $25-30 to build but was worth it...no more knocks at the door from pissed off neighbors!! you can get everything from home depot except the balls.. (tennis balls that is)

Does the exercise mat/yoga mat really do the trick???
If it does then that's a far better solution then all of those tennis balls and kick pedals replacements...

But how effective is it?

I have a Roland HD-3, with a beaterless pedal, supposedly the quietest pedal
around. But it still thumps because it hits the floor.
This matters because I have downstairs neighbors.

When I moved in I remodelled the floor, and added 3 layers of sound insulation
under the laminate floor.

I put the drum kit in the living room, as far from the bedrooms as possible.
I also only played during reasonable hours.

My neighbors never complained, but I solicited their feedback,
and they were more than willing to let me know it annoyed them.
LIke others said, only the kick pedal was a problem.

So I started with an exercise mat riser, underneath a layer of rubber and MDF board.
It was better, but the downstairs neighbors could still hear it in the living room,
which interfered with their TV time, but not in their bedrooms.

Then I added two more layers, using the same decoupling strategy that
the tennis ball risers use, alternating thick MDF layers with tennis balls,
but I used appliance vibration isolating feet instead of tennis balls cuz I
wanted less work (no cutting holes in boards for me).

All this paid off, while I never got to where they couldn't hear me at all,
they said they are ok with it now, it is no longer loud enough to be annoying
in any way.

The tennis ball noise isolation platform design is tried and true,
there is a great thread at vdrums.com on it.

The main point, is that while e-drums are a lot quieter than a-kits,
it can still be a journey to get to where the neighbors are happy.

Does the exercise mat/yoga mat really do the trick???
If it does then that's a far better solution then all of those tennis balls and kick pedals replacements...
Why would a yoga mat be a better solution?
As kurth83 says below, you still get some noise on the floor with a beater-less pedal (I don't have downstairs neighbours so didn't consider that problem) but at the end of the day the greatest noise is still going to be form the beater striking the head (be it mesh/ rubber or otherwise).
If you take that out of the equation you're well on your way to eliminating the greatest noise factor from your e-kit.

Like I said back in post #5. The tennis ball riser is the best.

Why would a yoga mat be a better solution?
As kurth83 says below, you still get some noise on the floor with a beater-less pedal (I don't have downstairs neighbours so didn't consider that problem) but at the end of the day the greatest noise is still going to be form the beater striking the head (be it mesh/ rubber or otherwise).
If you take that out of the equation you're well on your way to eliminating the greatest noise factor from your e-kit.

thebarak said so I didn't come up with the yoga mat...

And kurth83 explained it the best.
Nothing actually works for 100%.. I'm not gonna go through all that tennis ball stuff...
I'll have to find a way to get a kick pedal from a friend or something... hopefully someone has it... then I'll check how much noise it makes and hope for the best...

Thanks anyways everyone

Back