DW 5000 or Yamaha FP 9500C single pedal...your opinion please

Karky

Hello ,
i am planning to buy a new single pedal. I am speculating with two pedals, the DW 5000 model and the highest double chain drive model from Yamaha - FP 9500C.
Can you write me please your opinion, your experience with these pedals ?
Thaks a lot :)
Karky

Last edited:
Hello ,
i am planning to buy a new single pedal. I am speculating with two pedals, the DW 5000 model and the highest double chain drive model from Yamaha - FP 9500C.
Can you write me please your opinion, your experience with these pedals ?
Thaks a lot :)
Karky

You can't go wrong with either...personally I kinda like the feel of the yamaha better (I own (2) DW9002 pedals and (1) FP9315)...and I think it may be a little cheaper in price (if you search around)....:)

You can't go wrong with either...personally I kinda like the feel of the yamaha better (I own (2) DW9002 pedals and (1) FP9315)...and I think it may be a little cheaper in price (if you search around)....:)

Thanks a lot, i have tested the FP9315 with chain drive, but older model from my friend and i think, that Yamaha has a perfect hardware.
I am afraid with DW, because 5000 is a lower model in DW, that FP9315 in Yamaha...but DW is DW, DW must made a qality hardware.
At the moment, i am thinking about Yamaha direct drive model...Yamaha FP9410....

btw. you have a apple sparkle fade finish at your drums or gold sparkle ? gold sparkle is my favourite in Yamaha :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, i have tested the FP9315 with chain drive, but older model from my friend and i think, that Yamaha has a perfect hardware.
I am afraid with DW, because 5000 is a lower model in DW, that FP9315 in Yamaha...but DW is DW, DW must made a qality hardware.
At the moment, i am thinking about Yamaha direct drive model...Yamaha FP9410....

btw. you have a apple sparkle fade finish at your drums or gold sparkle ? gold sparkle is my favourite in Yamaha :)

Apple Sparkle Fade on my MCAN's and cherrywood on my BCA's...and natural birch on my DTXtreme RHP's...if you like direct drive pedals, yamaha's version is very nice!...I'm contemplating on getting it also!

don't be afraid of the 5000 line.

I have the 5002AD, one with the very first version of the delta hinge and single chain, that I purchased in the 90's when they first hit.

Still use it til this day. awesome pedal.

I prefer it to the 9000.

anyway, quality is there.

I have the 5002AD, one with the very first version of the delta hinge and single chain, that I purchased in the 90's when they first hit.

I prefer it to the 9000.

Zalloy, thanks a lot with your comment :) Oh, the firt pedal and you stil use it, thats great.
But one little question, why , in your opinion,do you prefer 5000 to the 9000 ? Do you think, that , when you have played with 9000, you dont play comfortable , with good feel ?

The 5000 was the top of the line DW pedal till they released the 9000. It's still a great pedal and you can't go wrong with either one, just a matter of which your feet prefer. I think the yamaha has a lighter feel to it.

yeah on the lightness factor: about 6 months ago, i actually BOUGHT the DW 7000 & played it at home for 1-2 days. thought it was the final pick after months of testing. just felt to heavy to me w/ too much mass to move for quick figures. stuff like fast 16ths, 32nds, syncopated things. took it back & got the new Yamaha strap drive pedal FP-8500B that is working out great. closest thing to the Yamaha strap drive (professional model) from '88-90 that i love to this day (the spring roller/screw parts wear out & tough to get). i have played the DW 9000 & it is freaking great...but a lot of mass to move again. i think i would need a full time rock gig to buy one (mostly jazz these days). Tama Cobras didn't do it for me. Axis seemed like a learning curve. the Pearls felt too heavy to me & i ended up selling my almost new Eliminators DBL pedals to finance new single pedal / hw bag.

Thanks a lot for your comments :) I must play at the 5000 and then at the Yamahas FP model and i will buy the best of these two. :)

Well, at the moment, i have at home my new Yamaha single pedal , model FP 9315, the old model, not the newest of Yamaha, i have double chain drive and bonus a tape, so i can change between double chain and tape. I am very satisfied with that pedal, great construction, great drive :)
Thanks for all your comments :)

Well, at the moment, i have at home my new Yamaha single pedal , model FP 9315, the old model, not the newest of Yamaha, i have double chain drive and bonus a tape, so i can change between double chain and tape. I am very satisfied with that pedal, great construction, great drive :)
Thanks for all your comments :)

that tape is called a strap ;-)

Congrats on the new pedal!

But one little question, why , in your opinion,do you prefer 5000 to the 9000 ? Do you think, that , when you have played with 9000, you dont play comfortable , with good feel ?

I play the 5000 but I've had a 9000. It feels smooth, is built really well but has a huge downside for my playing which is worth being aware of. I tend to use a full motion of the beater when I want power and let the beater come right back off the head - I never bury it. The cam unit is really bulky and I was finding that the chain end of the pedal board would hit it whenever I used the full extent of the beater's throw. The 5000 cam is much smaller and doesn't have this problem. No matter how I adjusted the pedal I just couldn't get it so it didn't do this.

So many great players use the 9000 I'm not saying it's a bad pedal - it's certainly not - but for me it isn't as good as the 5000. The 5000 does have quite a heavy feel but that's something I actually like about it.

I prefer it to the 9000.

Same here. Single chain with the accelerator cam. Very quick and responsive. Using a Puresound beater so there's very little mass. I'm not slamming it so I've never had a problem with it. They still sell this version, albiet without the plate and using the older Camco wire base that lets you fold the pedal up.

If it needs to be louder, that's what PA's are for. I had this discussion with a friend who used to tour with Billy Preston and now tours with a hard rock guitar player. He had a similar outlook. No real need for super heavy overbuilt pedals in the real world.

I agree the 5000 single chain is an excellent pedal and I use the double version right now. My favorite pedal was and is the Rogers Swivomatic. I still have one I bought on line but don't have the mount that stays on the bass drum. I sure would like to find that part. Anyone know where I could find one?

Back