flat/flush-base cymbal stands

tbmills

Gold Member
i am wanting some new stands and want to stay light for my tour this summer. i really like the look of straight flat/flush base stands and i know they are lighter than standard hardware.

it looks like the three big companies that offer these are gibraltar, dw, and pearl. i dont really like the pearl and its a boom stand.

1.) dw 6710 flush-base - $79.99 (musiciansfriend) i really like dw hardware. they have memory locks and i like the tilter and felt/sleeve on the dw better. it has good reputation for quality and it looks good, but is it worth the extra $30? though its probably only brand recognition (im brainwashed by "the man." ha!) or the price, but dw hardware seems high-class, like the rolls royce of hardware. and, the legs are made of aluminum to cut down ever more weight...

2.) gibraltar 8600 flat-base - $49.99 (musiciansfriend) i dont have much experience with gibraltar hardware. i have used their pedals before and wasnt impressed. something about this company makes me think that it is not particularly nice, its more of the economy level.

what do you think?
have you had any experience with either of these stands?

thanks guys

Attachments

• flatdw.jpg
    flatdw.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,388
  • flatgib.jpg
    flatgib.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,294
Last edited:
I've only personally used the DW stands and they're definitely very well-made, sturdy and reasonably light.

I know a few people who have used the Gibraltar stands but I've not seen them in person - they all are quite happy with them.

So I don't think there's a bad choice. I like the DW because I also use the canister throne - I can just break the stands apart completely and throw them in the throne and then set up about as quickly due to the memory locks.

i think im gonna go with the gibraltar. i need 3 cymbal stands and a snare stand. dw would be $330. gibraltar would be $210...

edit: plus i want to get the iron cobra lever-glide hihat stand... so thats another $170... i need to save wherever i can.

Last edited:
So what are they like in use mate- seems like they can be made to stand like a normal stand also....or am I wrong!
I gotta admit I am a user of double braced stands and would be a little worried about using these stands on my cymbals!

The gibralter stuff is pretty good as a rule- I have one of the cymbal stands with boom- solid as a rock!

I have no experience with the flat base stands, but have plenty with Gibraltar hardware, if they make them like they do the rest of their gear, I'd recommend with out flinching.

I have used both DW and Gibraltar and they are good brands. I mostly use DW hardware because I pile 40 pounds of stuff onto some of my stands and I need the toughest stands; weight and cost are not issues. However, aside from extreme uses, the Gibraltar stuff is a much better price point than DW.

Hate to introduce confusion,but I have owned the single braced Yamaha stands,even hanging a tom off one, and they are both light,solid and indestructible.

So what are they like in use mate- seems like they can be made to stand like a normal stand also....or am I wrong!
I gotta admit I am a user of double braced stands and would be a little worried about using these stands on my cymbals!

The DW doesn't stand like a non-flush base stand in any configuration.

As long as you're not doing the 1980s-cymbals-at-max-height-and-boom-extension thing, flush base stands are plenty study. I'm using them and my smallest cymbal (other than hats) is a 19"; can crash as hard as I want and they're not tipping over. That includes a 24" Giant Beat.

The DW doesn't stand like a non-flush base stand in any configuration.

As long as you're not doing the 1980s-cymbals-at-max-height-and-boom-extension thing, flush base stands are plenty study. I'm using them and my smallest cymbal (other than hats) is a 19"; can crash as hard as I want and they're not tipping over. That includes a 24" Giant Beat.

yeah i have 19 and 20 crashes and a 22 ride. thats good to hear!

I have both of these brand FB stands, and they both work great.

If you need the memory locks to set up the same every time, I'd go with the DW.
The DW FB's are every bit as quality as the other stuff.

If you don't need or care about the memory locks, the Gibraltar stuff is super.
Really nice tilter, and it's very smooth tubing (sliding up and down).
The legs on the Gibraltar are a little longer than the DW, but that really hasn't made any difference in performance between the 2 brands.

Both brands handle my different weight 24" rides no problem. 19 and 20" crashes should be just fine on either of these.

...the only problem that I have had with the DW flush based stands was with placement.

Using a full set of FB stands including two snare stands, hihat, and three straight stands, I found that the feet could get in each others way. I solved that problem by adding a rail mount, and a bass drum mounted cymbal holder.

You can see what I am talking about from this picture.

From what I have seen, the Gibralters have some adjustment witht their feet, allowing for more overlap compared to the DW. Also, as Karl has stated, their gearless tilters are a bonus considering the price of the stands.

If I did not already have a forest of DW chrome, I would have no problem with the Gibralter.

Good luck in your decision and with your tour.

Barry

Back