Breaking sticks

Everybody it's not the brand,type,wood,etc. count the grains from the but end of the stick the more grains and straighter grains the stronger the stick it's basic physics.

Yon can get a Regal-Tip 7a with 7+ straight grains and it will last longer than a Pro-Mark 2S with 2 crooked grains.......really.

The finer & straighter the grain is what you look for.

Bonzolead
It's the exact opposite in my experience, concerning the number of grains. Less grains means more solid wood. Such sticks are also generally heavier than sticks with finer grain.
(In general, the heavier the stick, the longer it will last.)

I've had two pairs of Vic Firth Tomas Haake signature sticks - .645 in diameter - with very fine grains, ten+ lines per stick, and they lasted around six weeks before I was left with only one whole sticks. They were also lighter than a typical 5B. On the other hand, a single pair of Vic Firth 2B - .630 in diameter - with three grain lines had lasted me three or four months (more than twelve weeks, or double the time the Tomas Haake sigs lasted). They were also the heavies pair of the whole batch in the shop. Really.

Of course, the grains should be as straight and regular as possible.

Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

I really dont understand how people break so many sticks. I've had the pair I'm using for at least 4 months.

I play alternative rock and I do rim shots as much as possible. Basically I have to play loud, as it also improves my performance and sounds better. But even then it takes me a little while to get through a pair of sticks.

I keep breaking my sticks and denting my toms' head. Now it's is just getting annoying and costly to keep breaking my sticks.

I keep breaking my sticks and denting my toms' head. Now it's is just getting annoying and costly to keep breaking my sticks.
If you're denting the tom heads, then the toms are probably angled too much. This will also cause your sticks to break off up at the tips.

It's the exact opposite in my experience, concerning the number of grains. Less grains means more solid wood. Such sticks are also generally heavier than sticks with finer grain.
(In general, the heavier the stick, the longer it will last.)

I've had two pairs of Vic Firth Tomas Haake signature sticks - .645 in diameter - with very fine grains, ten+ lines per stick, and they lasted around six weeks before I was left with only one whole sticks. They were also lighter than a typical 5B. On the other hand, a single pair of Vic Firth 2B - .630 in diameter - with three grain lines had lasted me three or four months (more than twelve weeks, or double the time the Tomas Haake sigs lasted). They were also the heavies pair of the whole batch in the shop. Really.

Of course, the grains should be as straight and regular as possible.

you just got a freak pair.................really LOL

keep swattin the finest grain sticks possible,
Bonzolead

Thanks Mike, I'll try a diffrent angle for my tom tomarrow.

Bonzo I don't try to kill my drums......most of the time.

Thanks Mike, I'll try a diffrent angle for my tom tomarrow.

Bonzo I don't try to kill my drums......most of the time.
I was just messing with you, I'm guilty of killing my kit once in awhile also.

it's all about emotion rather it be intense or mellow.

people don't. want too see a jukebox on stage LOL

Bonzolead

Woah. There are two things you have to do:

1. Angle your toms less.
2. DON'T HIT AS HARD!

I use Lars Ulrich signature sticks. Thirty five bucks, but the taper covers are only about four bucks. My taper covers lasted a good four months before they needed dire replacement. Plus the tips hardly ever need replacing.

Probably my favorite unbreakable sticks, so far, would be the Zildjian Back Beat Dipped (purple)
633154426413793904.jpg

I used to soley use Zildjian 5A sticks but they always kept breaking at the taper, must just be something to do with the way my drums/cymbals are angled. I would go through them at a rate of probably about a pair a week but in the 6 months or so since I switched to Vic Firth 5A's I've killed 2 pairs in total!

you just got a freak pair.................really LOL

keep swattin the finest grain sticks possible,
Bonzolead
It was two pairs and it was just one example I gave out of many. This consistently happens whenever I'm buying new sticks - the more grain lines, the lighter the stick and the sooner it breaks. Sticks with very few grain lines are a rare find in a bunch, but they have always lasted me a lot longer than the average stick.

If your experience is different for whatever reason, by all means carry on accordingly; for me it's the way I described, and I've gone through quite a few sticks to come to that conclusion.

I use Vic Firth SD9 drivers or Pro Marks Sucherman sticks. I love the feel of them but they break very easy, They don't like rim shots or the bell of the ride cymbal. I recently played a show at a club that has a very bad sounding room. I used Vic Firth AC SD4 Combo's. One pair lasted all night 4 hours off playing. Those sticks are very tiny. I am confused I bought three pairs thinking one pair would not make it through one set.

Back