Carter Beauford

Great groove, technique. His sound is good too, but a bit too "straight" for me. Else I like his jams with Victor Wooten, these 2 are amazing! And he's 5th inmy top 5!

Hello,

I'm so happy to have found this site. I've been playing drums for about 15 years and I started listening to the Dave Matthews Band about three years ago when I watched the Central Park DVD. Later that same year I went to see the band at the Gorge and seeing and hearing Carter playing live was an incredible experience for me. One of the things that impressed me the most was his use of the double kick ! Well, I came back home and I got a twin pedal. He changed my vision of what a drummer can do.
For example, in the Central Park dvd, his use of the double bass in the bridge between So Much To Say and Too Much is just amazing in its grooviness and control.

For me, he has the grooviest double kick ever!

shuffle said:
I'm just getting to know him, I usually don't like buying live stuff, and it seems that DMB has almost more live than studio albums.
Here is a small sample that I find great. It could have sounded so out of place and messy, but he makes it sound just perfect and groovy. I'll buy more. What should I get ?

Hello Shuffle,
you should check out the Central Park DVD or CD, it's a great compilation of DMB greatest songs and shows Carter in more than fine form. One of my favourite music dvds.
Sebas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
I'm just getting to know him, I usually don't like buying live stuff, and it seems that DMB has almost more live than studio albums.
Here is a small sample that I find great. It could have sounded so out of place and messy, but he makes it sound just perfect and groovy. I'll buy more. What should I get ?

I would recommend his 'Under the table and drumming' DVD. It's got plenty of studio footage and comes with a booklet with all of the songs tabbed out to learn. I originally learned #41 from watching that dvd. Check it out..

Regards,
fddrummer

shuffle said:

DMB's live stuff is amazing. Much better than the studio stuff.

The Central Park Concert is my favorite. You can get a 6-dics package from "The Gorge" which is just alot of music, and alot of amazing drumming. Live At Folsom Field, Listener Supported and Live In Chicago are three other great CDs/DVDs from DMB.

As I said previously, I have every DMB CD released, as well as some live concerts that I downloaded using torrents (DMB lets you record their concerts and trade them on the internet).

I went to a DMB concert last year and again this year, and was able to download the concerts and now have them to myself. It's great to listen back to the stuff you heard live. Just incredible playing. I reccommend anything on which Carter Beauford is playing.

Well.... A lot has already been said, I've been a huge DMB fan since the beginning, and went to every concert they had when coming to my area. For those concerned that they have more Live albums than studio. It's because you are limited in the studio recordings. But when you unleash these 5 (6 with butch) guys you get outcomes such as Central Park (omg amazing). If you are looking for some more music to drool over check out Under the Table (Ants Marching personal fav) and Crash here you will hear Drive In Drive Out, which you will appreciate more with my next suggestion.... Live at Red Rocks. Then I would go with Listener Supported - Pantala, Rapunzel, Jimi, Warehouse all greats from that one. So if you are looking for Songs/Albums that just cant be missed I would go with those. But if you are like me you can't resist acquiring all the carter has to offer. I will definitely agree with others when saying that no two songs are alike. Trust me on this one, you can't go wrong with purchasing more of Carter Beauford. A Drum god in my book.

PS- If you can get your hands on an underground copy of Lillywhite Sessions (was not released) then I would do so. It came out before Busted Stuff and has some songs on there I wish they would release. BTW- Grey Street is sooo sweeet check it out!

having lived in richmond, va (70 min south east of charlottesville) for about 15 yrs now i had many opportunities to see the DMB live. seein carter up close in a small club was a great experience. and i was able to meet the guy in cville when i went to a john d'earth gig that a great jazz drummer named al garnette(betty carter, abbey lincoln) was playing on. very, very nice guy. and its a trip to realize that he worked as a social worker for a while and gave up his 9 to 5 to drum full time. also, there was a local fusion band here back in the day (secrets was the name) that included the aforementioned john d'earth and carter playing drums. lucky for me i worked for a wedding band and the leader had a copy of that band's one and only album......which i promptly hi-jacked and have it safely nestled away to this day. its nice to break it out every once in a while and listen to it. that band gave the richmond area a lot of hope.....they thought it would be the next athens, georgia with a ton of bands jumping onto the scene. didnt pan out that way though.

carter has his act together on this instrument. definitely an inspiration.

Last edited:
The man is simply one of the greatest drummers of our time. He has inspired and fueled my playing over and over again, I can honestly say I wouldn't be half the drummer I am today without his influence. He is a huge idol/influence/hero to myself and many others.

Man, he's simply awesome!

PS- DMB is just an amazing band that will always be #1 in my book.

I am just getting into drums, and I have to say Carter was a huge influence for me. I play guitar and have already been a DMB fan for years - Dave kicks ass! And the amazing playing Carter pulls off has made me want to learn drums. I am debating whether to try and learn open handed, or close handed. Maybe I'll do both...

what hi hats does he use? they sound awesome on Ants Marching!!!!!!!

Back