Double Bass Pedals are the Devils Work!

OK HARRY, but the real question is-
If you had a roadie/tech any/every gig, would you be playing two bass drums again?

Probably not. Just my single 26x16, 13 (or 14), 16, 18 kit wound suffice. That 75-83 stint was as much about "fashion" as it was "having the right tools". People hardly paid attention to bands in L.A. unless there was a double bass kit on stage. Once "grunge" hit, it switched, double kicks suddenly became "not hip", unless you were a big name guy (then it didn't matter). Now, if I need a double, I've got my Sleishman pedals.​

Yep.....straight from the pit of hell. At least the "Devil's Hoof" pedals are: http://www.czarciekopyto.com/

Sleishman on the other hand.....like all things Aussie.....are as pure as the driven snow.

FWIW, I don't think they are "unnatural, destroy rhythm and on the whole are totally unnecessary" at all. Any fault or lack of musicality lies with the player, not the pedal.....even if there are two of them.
Too many tatseful and musically appropriate examples of double pedal use for me to think otherwise.

Im a double bass player. I play a lot of metal. I agree some drummers get a double pedal and right away think their awsome but their are some drummers who use double bass and are amazing. Derek roddy, george kollias, chris adler,jon rice and alex rudinger are all amazing drummers that use double bass..... Theres my 2¢

Any thoughts?

Yeah I got one but you ain't gonna like it lol...

Ok screw it I'll say it anyway, your thread is nothing but a negative thought provoking troll post to get a "discussion" going that you know damn well will end up just how it has already. So sick of fake wanna-be hardcore drummers who "don't get" what double pedal's are all about and even look down their nose at those who don't just use a single pedal to do doubles, trips or quads. Get over your selves.

Sleishman on the other hand.....like all things Aussie.....are as pure as the driven snow.
I played Off-Sets for a few years. Then, I think it was 2005, Sleishman was at the NAMM show, for the first time .... and I got my feet on their pedals. Game over. Bought the Sleishman's. Sold the Off-Sets. No regrets.​

IMO,Double bass pedals are like a screwdrivers...either you use it the right way or you get screwed HAHA!

But then again like most things in drumming it's all about personal preferences.

Any fault or lack of musicality lies with the player, not the pedal.....even if there are two of them.
Too many tatseful and musically appropriate examples of double pedal use for me to think otherwise.

You are totally right. Some players rock with double pedals. But I have seen many, many people using the double pedal as an excuse for not being able to play with a single pedal. The double pedal itself I'm sure is great, but too many bad players have ruined its soul in my opinion.

Though, I want to add that GOOD players using double bass pedals can rock even me into the ground!

Yeah BabyBob, +1.

Double pedals are... tools, like any piece of gear, or any technique.
More stuff in your tool box, more options. Decide what you (don't) want/need.
Wanna limit yourself? Go for less tools and you'll have less options... if this is what makes you happy.
BUT... if you're going for more tools/techniques... you have to invest time to learn how to handle them well. And I feel many are grumbling about stuff which they simply aren't ready to plunge into, investing the due amount of time learning how to handle it well. Don't grumble... go practice!

Conclusion;

Double pedals are a great tool - IF you know how to use them correctly.

If you play double pedals because you cannot play with a single pedal, that's slightly less cool.

I have a set of double Tama pedals that I like to use for exercise. I'm no spring chicken, so I try to do what I have to to keep all my limbs in as good of shape as I can. I bought mine over four years ago when I learned that I would be going to the hospital for surgery to my right foot. Having the double pedal gave me the opportunity to play the base drum until my right foot healed.

I have nothing against those who play the bass drum with both feet and do it well. What annoys me just a bit is when drummers solely concentrate on their double pedal technique without caring very much for what their hands are doing, it just sounds sloppy. I just ran into this situation a few weeks ago in the studio.

Dennis

I have a double pedal attached to my kit. And I actually dispise stereotypical double bass drummers. Bands like Mastadon, All The Remains, and all that sagging slopping bunch of testerone abuse. It's crap. ( Sorry for those who look it. It's just my opinion.)

The other night, our front man told me he didn't think he'd ever heard me play double bass during a show, or practice. This is because I use purely for fills and to take some of the work load away from my hands. My band plays Punk rock, so a lot of our tempos are pretty much lookin' at 200 bpms in the rear view mirror.

If I've been playing a really quick tune (See 'Bored and Extremely Dangerous by Bad Religion), I may do something like, hit a tom note, and then play a fast triple with the double pedal, and then move to the floor tom and do the same, creating the illusion of a roll, without my hands having to do a lot of work.

And of course in comes in handy if I want spice up a beat just a tad. All I have to do is wiggle my feet together.

Conclusion;

Double pedals are a great tool - IF you know how to use them correctly.

If you play double pedals because you cannot play with a single pedal, that's slightly less cool.

Exactly what I was trying to say...though TS is abit rude IMO...suddenly open a thread to boycott double bass pedals...then suddenly calling someone an a hole

Lulz . No Offence .

Exactly what I was trying to say...though TS is abit rude IMO...suddenly open a thread to boycott double bass pedals...then suddenly calling someone an a hole

Lulz . No Offence .

Well no because i was trying to open a discussion and straight away i was effectively told to shut up. i felt my reaction was just

Look this is ridiculous, I am not grumbling and I am not attempting a boycott or to put anyone down. I am purely trying to get an opinion on a subject i do not know that much about, why are people so defensive? i'm not having a dig im trying to understand something i dont.

Look this is ridiculous, I am not grumbling and I am not attempting a boycott or to put anyone down. I am purely trying to get an opinion on a subject i do not know that much about, why are people so defensive? i'm not having a dig im trying to understand something i dont.
To "get an opinion"? Well you _have_ an opinion already - see your very first post. No wonder some people (me included) were defensive.

Next time try to be more diplomatic in your statements to avoid confusion.

Agreed.

...I am not attempting a boycott or to put anyone down...

Your comments below suggest that the zillions of double bass or double pedals users are getting it totally wrong, and can be read as putting down drummers who use them.

I think they are unnatural, destroy rhythm and on the whole are totally unnecessary...

In a perfect world this is true but not everyone is so single minded

Says the pot to the kettle :)

Look this is ridiculous,

Sure is. How did you think comments like "I think they are unnatural, destroy rhythm and on the whole are totally unnecessary" were gonna be recieved? Especially as you now claim it's a subject you don't know much about. Trying to learn with a closed mind from the outset is always gonna have its perils.

I am purely trying to get an opinion on a subject i do not know that much about, why are people so defensive? i'm not having a dig im trying to understand something i dont.

And from what I'm reading you're being given some pretty good answers to your query. The fact that you're choosing to ignore or overlook them isn't the fault of those responding. Anything else that you feel is inflammatory is an obvious result of your equally inflammatory initial comments.

You'll find the dogmatic approach to personal taste used in your first post seldom cuts it. You see it one way, someone else sees it the other. Who's wrong or right? Especially in a discussion about taste.

In a perfect world this is true but not everyone is so single minded

Nothing's perfect mate.......except maybe Vinnie. But many things come close. Instead of shutting down and turning off, try and find some of the many examples where double pedals are used tastefully. It's evident by your first post that you haven't yet tried.

As for the guys who overuse them.....turn it off, don't buy the CD or walk out of the venue. No-one's forcing you to listen.

In the real world there is stuff to piss us off all the time. As annoying as much of it is, that's life my friend.....no-one said it would be easy. But it's not worth slighting everything because one or two annoy you.

Well there is no "best" in music.

To me sometime's driving and listening to "Hello Nasty" by the Beastie boys is what I need. Other times listening to Emperor, morphine or something else works.

Everyone has music and equipment for different reasons.

I have a double pedal. I can play constant notes with my feet, or use it in fills or to chop up the beat.

I personally can't say that NOT using a double pedal is idiotic. That wouldn't be fair to other drummers, it says their choice of musical weapon is not the best kind to bring to a fight, so to speak.

I love Ringo, Stevie Rays drummer, Mitch Mitchell and all kinds of drummers who DON'T use double bass drums in their setup.

Do some research with an open mind. Some people use triggers, some don't. At the end of the day it's not the equipment but your heart and musical grace that makes other drummers salivate and wish they made that part.

Look at just about anything Gadd does, Rich, Tony Williams.

No offense, but trying to delegate stuff into these types of polar extremes is ridiculous. Don't call me an a**hole either.

Maybe if you asked a question about others OPINIONS on the validity of the double bass drumming, and what their choice for incorporating it was, you'd get a better response.

If I've been playing a really quick tune (See 'Bored and Extremely Dangerous by Bad Religion), I may do something like, hit a tom note, and then play a fast triple with the double pedal, and then move to the floor tom and do the same, creating the illusion of a roll, without my hands having to do a lot of work.

And of course in comes in handy if I want spice up a beat just a tad. All I have to do is wiggle my feet together.

Your completely doing something that can help with double pedal.

I was in a dbeat/hardcore band...We played like doom, spazz, crusty punk stuff. I did this exact thing.

Double pedal isn't all about punk/metal, look at Bellson, Billy Cobham...etc..

Back