Fave Snare Batter Heads

ATTACK Terry Bozzio white coated

I started off using Remo emperors years ago, and changed to a Aquarian Hi-energy about a year and never thought i would change from this head, i thought i would try something different and bought an Evans power center reverse dot,,, wooow this head has blown me away......

Evans genera......my new favorite...on my chad smith it sounds incredible

Used to use the Terry Bozzio ATTACK head (a pretty nice head really) with the TB resonant head as well, but I've switched to Aquarian Focus X with Center Dot. REALLY nice head! I still have the TB ATTACK resonant, but I'm going to change it (just not my cup of tea).

Evans HD-Dry Batter
Evans 300 Hazy Snare-Side

after trying a bunch, there is still no beating a coated ambassador.

I like the sound, but the aquarian coated are warmer, and the coating seems more durable.

I don't like 2-ply or pre-muffled heads on a snare drum.

I like my snares like I like my chicken: extra crispy.

Right now Im using a Remo Emperor Coated X. I love it, so its either between that, or the Coated Ambassodor.

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot, they are very durable, and great sounding when tuned high.

Another vote for the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot.

I just spent a few hours messing around with some of my snares. I was into the Genera Dry heads for a while. I think they'd be great in the studio or even mic'ed, but the fall a little short in the volume department for playing live.

I fooled around with an Evans EC2 power dot snare batter, but after mounting it on two different drums, A Brady 7 X13, and a Dunnett titanium 6.5 X 13, I've decided it totally kills the drums. Again, maybe a good choice in the studio. The cross stick sounded super dead also.

I drug out a 4 X14 Craviotto that I haven't messed with for a while. It had an Aquarian New Oleans Special batter head over an Evans 300. After a little tuning I played some second line style stuff on it and it sounded really good. Surprisingly the drum had tons of bottom end for a shallow drum. With the wires set real loose it sounded great.

I've pretty much settled on single ply batters. I still like the dry heads for home practice where volume isn't an issue, but for live the singles seem to be the ticket.

I'm going to try a plain old G1 and see how that works out. Just another reason to go to GC tonight.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here.

I've had good luck with several heads but I think it depends on each snare. On my Musashi I've had the best luck with Remo Vintage A, Evans HD Genera Dry, and currently (believe it or not) a regular old Aquarian Classic Clear. Turn that sucker up tight and you've got a wet, loud, responsive and crisp snare sound.

On my Pearl Free Floater I've had good experiences with the Evans HD Genera Dry, and more recently the Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador. I had a Fiberskyn on my Musashi and it sounded horrible. So that's what I mean. The Evans PCRD I have on the FF now I'm not too fond of, but that may change in time - after all I totally hated the Vintage A on the Musashi at first when I was used to using no moon gels, but after a few weeks it quickly became my fave.

I have an Ultratone Steel Snare too that doesn't like much else besides clear heads with power dots. I tried about 3 other heads on it and they all dried it out too much and sucked up the tone like I had poured sand into it. The clear heads give a wet attack and that snare really likes one type of head.

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot, or G Plus/G12. I had a very good experience with a Remo Coated CS Reverse recently, as well.

On my Yamaha Loud Concept 14x7 Oak I use Evans G1 coated which i prefer live and Remo CS dot in the studio.

Back