Budget drum heads that sound ok?

azmyth

I have 2 drum kits.

One is an old PDP kit, and the other is a rockwood set.

the rockwood still has the stock heads on it, and they sound like complete garbage.
You can't even hear the bass drum at all in a band scenario.

I don't have a ton of money to spend and I need to balance that with sound quality.

I was thinking of putting super kick 1's on the bass drums (if there are other options let me know) but I'm not sure what to put on everything else.

I play mostly pop punk/punk type music.

Replacing stock drum heads immediately moves you out of the world of "budget" drum heads into the world of real drumhead buying - and real drumhead prices. I'm not aware of any such thing as "budget" drumheads. Comparatively, some brands might be cheaper than others, but your local results may vary.

Occasionally a drum shop will move older heads for cheaper or sell a set of opened but unplayed heads at a discount. Aside from that, your best bet is to buy a box set. Most drumhead companies offer sets in 12-13-16 or 10-12-14 sizes, and if you were to do the math, you'd find you're getting the smallest head for free or a deep discount.

Evans GMAD on the kick and Remo coated emperors on toms. They sound great and will give you good volume.

music123.com has great prices on all Aquarian heads and have free shipping in the USA. They sell the sk1 batter, ported regulator front and a double beater patch as a package for $62 and also sell 3 and 4 head packages as well Sometimes they have a package of 3 toms and a coated snare head and usually works out your getting the snare head free.

http://www.music123.com/drums-percussion/aquarian-bass-drumhead-pack
http://www.music123.com/drums-percussion/aquarian-response-2-fusion-drumhead-pack

As already said, other than the cheap heads that come on some drums, there are no budget heads. Also, already mentioned is getting a discount for buying a pack of heads. If you are low on funds, re-head one drum at a time. On all the drums, both heads matter. Peace and goodwill.

Back