need advice on heads for my kit

Center Tenors

I have an older PDP kit i was given yesterday, i know i am doing aqurian super kick 2 and regulator small hole on the bass, and their Hi Performance on top and bottom of my snare, What would you guys reccomend for toms. like it needs to have punch and a super defined attack and lots of low end but i need it to RING out alot. Right now i have the heads he gave me with the kit and they are old and trashed. pearl protone and some generic black reso on the bass toms i have Evans G2 with soooo much foam inside stock reso on the 16 tom and a pinstripe on the 12. the 16 sounds good but i need new heads. so any advice?

Search these treads for head advice. This topic has been done to death, ad nauseam.

and yet it takes like twenty seconds to reply out of kindness..
are you playing general rock music? evans G2 (for batter) over evans G1 (for reso) are pretty standard for me.
if you are playing death metal or something heavy then you could use an EQ2 for the batter instead.

could you be more dramatic..
It would take 10 seconds to hit "Search", type "Heads".
You will get 10 people say Emps/Ambs, 10 say G2/G1, 10 more Pins/Ambs. etc...
I'm so tired of the "Duuude, Whatz the best drum set I cen get 4 $250, and it's gotta ROCK, look COOL and have lots of resonince. Oh, and by the way I play speed metal, death metal, liquid metal and metalurgy. ROCK ON!!!!"
This forum is great, met some good people, but I feel it's really getting away from it's intended purpose.

You kind of have a double standard. Lots of attack and low end but still resonant. I would try Evans Onyx.

yeah, thats my problem, i need a double standard because i need this kit to double because i cant go lugging my 8 piece around its too heavy and too much

re-read your post wayne, are you sure i'm the dramatic one? haha!
what exactly do you intend we discuss for the majority of the time in the heads and sticks forum? sure people could search, but do you really need to get annoyed if they don't? :)

ontopic: what houston 94 said could be good, i've never tried the onyx heads but people seem to the like them.
one thing though, you should definitely take foam and stuff out of the drums if you want them to ring, you'll kill all the overtones by muffling it like that.
if you take all the foam out and then buy some moongel and cut it into a tiny strip then that could work quite well.

good luck!

Well, this is advice is only good if you play Metallurgy or liquid metal, btw.

yeah i'm playing liquid metal quite a lot. sometimes my heads randomly transform into puddles of molten plastic and i just swish my sticks about in it to get that deep vibe.

I have read that the Evans EC heads with the silver edge control ring with combined with the new Vic Firth Silver Bullet Aluminum Tip sticks are, in fact, the preferred combination for Metallurgy.

could you be more dramatic..
It would take 10 seconds to hit "Search", type "Heads".
You will get 10 people say Emps/Ambs, 10 say G2/G1, 10 more Pins/Ambs. etc...
I'm so tired of the "Duuude, Whatz the best drum set I cen get 4 $250, and it's gotta ROCK, look COOL and have lots of resonince. Oh, and by the way I play speed metal, death metal, liquid metal and metalurgy. ROCK ON!!!!"
This forum is great, met some good people, but I feel it's really getting away from it's intended purpose.

People want to know that the advice they get is for their specific situation. That's why this is a message board and not an article archive.

On topic, the Onyx heads are pretty sick. I need to change all my reso heads (I'm probably going to use clear G1s on everything but the kick which is gonna get an Onyx reso), but already I adore 'em. More tone than the Aquarian Performance II's, but I'm good with that.

I have read that the Evans EC heads with the silver edge control ring with combined with the new Vic Firth Silver Bullet Aluminum Tip sticks are, in fact, the preferred combination for Metallurgy.

ahaha. now that is awesome, i'll have to take a look! :)

I have an older PDP kit i was given yesterday, i know i am doing aqurian super kick 2 and regulator small hole on the bass, and their Hi Performance on top and bottom of my snare, What would you guys reccomend for toms. like it needs to have punch and a super defined attack and lots of low end but i need it to RING out alot. Right now i have the heads he gave me with the kit and they are old and trashed. pearl protone and some generic black reso on the bass toms i have Evans G2 with soooo much foam inside stock reso on the 16 tom and a pinstripe on the 12. the 16 sounds good but i need new heads. so any advice?

If you are looking for attack, low end, AND ring and want to stay with Aquarian you might try the Super 2 or Response 2. Their other 2-ply, the Performance 2, might not give you as much ring as you're looking for

Sell the pdp, buy a yamaha beech custom and skin them with coated or clear emp's and you will get all of what you are asking. Good luck.

Back