Cases and Suspension Mounts

WayneWickman

So I'm gigging again (after 20 years off) and got some pretty decent drums I want to protect. For toms with suspension mounts, Gretsch GTS in my case, what is recommened? Measure the diameter from rim to end of mount and purchase that diameter? For example 12" tom + 2 1/2" for the mount, get a 15" dia bag/case. I suspect there will be a lot of play top to bottom. What are you guys doing?

Most drum cases allow room for tom mounts. If you aren't sure call the manufacturer.
Simply order the cases based on the manufacturers dimensions of your drums.
I use Galaxy cases by Humes and Berg. There is plenty of extra room for tom mounts in these bags.

My drums don't have rim mounts. A few weeks ago I was in a hurry while packing up. I put my 12 inch tom into the 10 inch tom bag and zipped it up before I realized what I had done.

Last edited:
Drum cases are typically a little over-sized. A 12" tom case won't be 12" wide on the inside...you've got to account for the lug casings and hardware, after all...

Usually, cases will have a "corner" where you can tuck a suspension mount. If the mount is REALLY big, like DW's for example, then you might have to consider going up a size (13" tom case for a 12" tom, etc...)

They're expensive, but the cases by Gator/ XL percussion/ Protechtor Air Elite series are contoured for suspension mounts:

http://www.xlspec.com/product.asp?P...bCatID=2&SubCatName=Elite Air Series Tom Case

I have some of those. They only "work" if you have the appropriate depth size figured out, just so you know. Otherwise, they're worse off than any other non-lined hardcase, due to all of the ridges and bumps in the case shape design. I have one case that works great for my 14x14 floor tom, but it is terrible for my 14x12, as there is a bunch of extra room for the tom to flop around inside the case. Also, they don't stack securely. I'd recommend the regular Protection Racket cases over the Air Elites...

From HB customer service:

"We do make cases and bags slightly larger to accommodate for any mounts or
hardware you have attached to your drum.

However, if you have the rim mount attached to your drums we do recommend
going up the next size in diameter. (ex. 9x12 w/rims mount system, purchase
9x13 case)"

Wayne, did you get those? how is the fit? I have a Gretsch Maple renown kit, and the rim mount is pretty big. I am currently shopping for drum bags as well, I really like Wolfpak bags, but haveing a hard time getting the right size, for both dimensions. Anyone else having a hard time getting bags that fit Gretsch drum specs? I only need tom bags, but the sizes are: 8x7, 10x8, and 12x9.

You can't go wrong with a size bigger and it will make bagging a lot easier.

Bags don't need to fit 'skin tight', if they do there's less protection and more work.

Back