My humble take on good drummers and OK drummers

Well I thought this forum invited all views not just ones with which you agree. I guess you're worldview would best belong in some totalitarian state. I guess you're on side with Putin

Joining a forum is a lot like arriving at a barbecue. There are many conversations going on, and everybody is having a good time. Your presence is welcomed (especially when you make the fine distinction between you're and your).

But I'm guessing that in an offline social situation you'd listen to the established conversations before mouthing off. So why then would you behave differently online?

I drove a Triumph TR-4
Steve, if you weren't already very high in my estimation, you certainly would be after admitting this ;) Was it the IRS version? Wire wheels?

I guess you're worldview would best belong in some totalitarian state. I guess you're on side with Putin
I shouldn't rise to this, but I will, as ignoring you is a bigger deal. It's you who just reacted to a counter view. Ok, so your POV wasn't taken so seriously, or picked up with relish, but perhaps that has more to do with the initial presentation than your intention.

Political snipes aren't welcome here, & especially by me, when directed at someone I respect & regard as a friend. Stick around though, because something tells me you have much to offer.

Joining a forum is a lot like arriving at a barbecue. There are many conversations going on, and everybody is having a good time. Your presence is welcomed (especially when you make the fine distinction between you're and your).

But I'm guessing that in an offline social situation you'd listen to the established conversations before mouthing off. So why then would you behave differently online?
Eloquently put :)

Well I thought this forum invited all views not just ones with which you agree. I guess you're worldview would best belong in some totalitarian state. I guess you're on side with Putin

You've missed my point completely. I think Gergo Borlai with 4 drums is the real Mona Lisa and the rest are glam posers

Absolute rubbish. You are trolling. Your entire question is designed to cause disputes. Your mistake is believing we are naive enough not to notice and then fall into your trap. Well it did not work. And then you accuse us of being totalitarian???

You're dreaming buddy. What happened, did Pearl kick you out?

Please.

That's right, because I don't care about your taste in music I must be "on side with Putin", as you so eloquently put it.

Troll.

Does Putin play a Mapex bop kit? Or does he slog away at a million miles an hour on 20 piece set? Or is he just too busy wrestling bears with his shirt off to care?

Perhaps if he had a passionate view on the big kit/small kit/chops/groove debate, he wouldn't feel the need to be running around and posturing away with his military?

But I digress. More importantly, what do totalitarians think about the trad. grip/matched grip conundrum?

So many drummers who've enjoyed some success seem to rely on a whole lot of flash and little substance. I don't give a hoot if someone can play a million miles an hour with a 20 piece set. I would much rather listen to a drummer who with a basic 4 piece set up make the drums metaphorically come alive. I would watch Gergo Borlai with his Mapex bop kit before I would spend a considerable amount of time ferreting out the flash of a Mike Mangini or Mike Portnoy. I don't want to convey that people shouldn't have their own taste in drumming technique of course listen to Dream Theater till your ears bleed if you like but I guess in my older years I appreciate more what drummers do with less than with more.

I will of course invite contrary views.

You've missed my point completely. I think Gergo Borlai with 4 drums is the real Mona Lisa and the rest are glam posers

So you start off by insulting and discrediting name drummers, and then you insult and discredit the member base for not following your lead in bashing name drummers. Not very drum love of you.

Sounds like you just want an argument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

I like all kinds of drummers. I don't see the point in calling others names just because they play a different style of drumming than someone else.

I guess this opinion is reasonable (and typical enough) but it's probably more of a thing that you'd post in response to a question, not start a thread and say "this is what I think, disagree with me". You're assuming everyone is going to be surprised by what you think and care but no, you haven't groomed the senior members enough to expect support.

You've broken the rules of the Internet.

Last edited:
So many of those drummers who have enjoyed success have done a great deal of entertaining. Some of their flash may be over the top, but they are still entertaining and fans of music may like or dislike at their will. That Rolling Stones drummer, I forget his name, has achieved much success with his four piece set, being very stoic and robot like. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Does Putin play a Mapex bop kit? Or does he slog away at a million miles an hour on 20 piece set? Or is he just too busy wrestling bears with his shirt off to care?

Perhaps if he had a passionate view on the big kit/small kit/chops/groove debate, he wouldn't feel the need to be running around and posturing away with his military?

But I digress. More importantly, what do totalitarians think about the trad. grip/matched grip conundrum?

ROFL!!!

I guess this opinion is reasonable (and typical enough) but it's probably more of a thing that you'd post in response to a question, not start a thread and say "this is what I think, disagree with me". You're assuming everyone is going to be surprised by what you think and care but no, you haven't groomed the senior members enough to expect support.

You've broken the rules of the Internet.

Rules of the internet? Please give me a break

Actually I think Putin plays bass

OK I QUIT I GUESS DRUMMERS AREN'T THE MOST OPEN-MINDED MEMBERS OF THE BAND AFTER ALL.

Last edited by a moderator:

With his shirt on or off?

What about if it were a 5 string bass? Given the less is more approach, that extra string does little more than provide ample opportunity for ferreting the flash. Would that just make him indulgent given good bass players should be able to say all they need with 4 strings?

But why stop there? Why not a one string bass? Or a solitary snare drum? Surely that's all we need? If 4 drums automatically equates to a more tasteful and musical approach, imagine how much more expression would be there to enjoy via a snare drum alone. :)

I GUESS DRUMMERS AREN'T THE MOST OPEN-MINDED MEMBERS OF THE BAND AFTER ALL.

Pot, meet kettle.

You invited this discussion remember mate.

I recall you saying something like...........

I will of course invite contrary views.

Well, you're getting 'em. Given your initial line of thought, surely you knew at least some of us were gonna flip the coin?

What this thread is about again?

Ah, yes... drummers vs drummers... and I thought drummers were a brotherhood... sorry, my bad :(

FreshTomatoSoup_zpsnmii4py0.jpeg

What this thread is about again?

We were discussing how the English are strange because they drive of the wrong side of the road. Don't even get me started on the weird spelling of words like "colour".

This guy is pretty good, I tried to troll a thread by badmouthing jazz and vintage gear and no one bit. I suck at trolling.

Back