Love your hi-hat stand?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
If you do , please recommend me a new one. I've been playing the same Pearl stand for over twenty years and it's starting to get worn and tired. Thinking about going with Yamaha.

I like the rotating leg feature to accommodate for the double pedal on my bass drum. Thanks!

I've played them all and to be honest with you I reall like my Gibralter Liquid Drive. It really is the smoothest hi hat pedal I've ever felt. It comes in 2 and 3 leg versions...the 3 leg version rotates.

I have a DW9000.. very smooth and rugged two legs for easy double pedal placement.

I also have a 5000.. the smaller two leg version which is really like the 7000. It's nice and light and had held up very well for many years.

Check em out.

I have a couple older Tama stands with the lever glide that are really nice, I have always liked their hihat stands.

However my absolute favourite, and you're going to laugh, is a light weight double braced PDP stand. The pedal is very smooth and of all my stands it's by far the most sensitive. I play a lot of jazz and Hihat foot splashes are effortless with this one, I have no problems playing lead foot hi hat patterns 2/3, 3/2 clave, or basic swing patterns with open splashes on 2 & 4, etc.

I also have a 5000.. the smaller two leg version which is really like the 7000. It's nice and light and had held up very well for many years.

Check em out.

+1
Really like my DW5000; but it is hard to go wrong with most manufacturer's pro line of hardware.

GJS

+1 on the DW5000 hi-hat stand. But mine is the three-legged version which I consider much more stable than the two-legged version (which I'm sure people here will argue about). But I think it's simple physics: a triangle of legs is much more stable than two legs with the pedal trying to be the third leg.

But for the last few years my most surprisingly rugged hi-hat stand has been the Tama Stagemaster (single-braced) stand. Simple and stable for the last ten years and really still going as it just went into storage in the garage.

As long as you like the action and spring strength of a high hat stand, you can play with it. I don't need something quadruple-braced with 8" diameter solid adamantium tubing to support a pair of cymbals--my lightweight student model Ludwig stand that I happened across will do just fine, thank you.

I've played on many types--direct drive, Tama lever glide, chain (single and double), Gibraltar strap drive--and guess what? They all do what they're supposed to do: make the top hi hat go up and down. I can understand what the different feels of bass drum pedals do, and the different styles of drives and cams that throw the beater towards the head at different levels of efficiency, but the hi hat pedal *should* be a 1:1 ratio of effort to result, and they all pretty much are, except for those pesky remote hats...

DW 9000 sereies 2 leg stand for me. Been using mine 5 years without an issue and it still looks brand new, and feels the same. I also like Tama and Yamaha pro level offerings.

I'm using my friend's PDP 800 series 2 legged stand and I like how I don't have to worry about my other pedal getting in the way, but it does seem to wobble sometimes.

I have a two-legged PDP. I don't like it that much, I much prefer 3-legs, if if they are pretty cheap. I bet I would love a 3-legger that rotates. Sturdier, and you can collapse it easier, and you don't have to take forever trying to get the two feet level with the pedal on the ground so it doesn't wobble.

I have many and the ones I would recommend are the Yamaha 800 series, the three legged DW 5000, Tama Lever Glide or the Pearl 900. All are three legged stands except the Tama which is a very stable two legged stand.

If there isn't a particular reason to buy a two legged stand, I would always go for the three leg version.

Dennis

Thanks for the help guys. I think the best thing for me to do is to go to a store that has several to choose from and test drive them with some cymbals attached.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Yamaha 800 series, but we'll see.

DW 9000 sereies 2 leg stand for me.

same here, will perform with any size hats you put on it, adjustments to spare and effortless to use. Noticed a HUGE improvement over hat control. I think most if not all make very good top end models so unless you are set on making all your hardware match, I say shop around and try as many as possible.

Thanks for the help guys. I think the best thing for me to do is to go to a store that has several to choose from and test drive them with some cymbals attached.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Yamaha 800 series, but we'll see.

It's not a very good photograph of it, but here's the Yamaha HS 840 stand. It's very stable and hasn't given me any problems in over the two years I've been using it.

DSC_0021-2.jpg

Dennis

I have 3 of the DW medium weight. 2 leg stands (several kits up at once). The first 2 were under the 5000 (5500TL)series, the third is a 3500T....same stand, different numbers.
Very sturdy, comfortable, no problems, easy weight to lug around etc...

The 3 leg version is really nice as well, I just need a two legger for my left side floor tom placement.

I also like the DW 7000 hat stand.

Tama's IC strapp hat stand is nice.

Gibraltar Liquid Drive hat stand is really nice, but it's heavy. I have the 2 legger with the kick stand leg. Feels great, but heavy.

Yamaha's hat stands always feel nice.

DW9000 two leg here...

That one less leg is really great for setup and moving things around

Thanks Karl. Coming from a Ludwig guy like yourself, that says a lot!

Back