roland spd-sx

shachar

hi,
Im playing an acoustic kit and i thought to upgrade my kit with spd-sx/spd30/dtx-m12.
so i just want to know if in the spd-sx there is internal kits and sounds like they have in spd30.
and what the spd-sx is different from the yamaha dtx-m12 , because they both have sampling option.

Whilst the SPD SX does have built in kits, it doesn't have anywhere near as many default kits as the SPD30 Octapad does. It does, however, have built in memory & a USB card slot, so you can basically add as many kits as you like to it - the pad comes with software to drag and drop sounds onto kits and upload them onto the spd sx, it's really easy.

I don't really use the default sounds so much, but from memory the spd sx comes with 5 or 6 loop sets and 10 or so kits. The fact that you can add your own sounds to it is one advantages of the spd sx, I've downloaded loads of loops and one shot drum samples and made my own kits which I've then loaded onto the system.

It's a great bit of kit and with a little bit of work you can easily upload any sound or loop you need. But if you're looking for something with built in one-shot sounds then you'd probably be better with the spd30 - you can't import extra sounds to the spd30, but you're able to re-model the on board.

I can't comment on the Yamaha as I've never used it....but hopefully my reply was of some help! :)

thanks, that was very helpful but one tiny last thing - does the spd30 has loops or rhythm in it?
and i don't mean the loop mode that i can create, something like that loops in spd-sx but built in stuff

thanks, that was very helpful but one tiny last thing - does the spd30 has loops or rhythm in it?
and i don't mean the loop mode that i can create, something like that loops in spd-sx but built in stuff

To the best of my knowledge the spd30 just has one shot samples, not loops.

As you said you can make loops yourself using the loop mode, but you can't upload any actual loops and I don't believe it comes with any. The only way to use loops on the spd30 is to actually create and loop them 'live' on the pad using the loop function when you want them

There are reviews and a comparison of the Roland, Yamaha & Alesis multipads in this e-mag: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs/digitaldrummer_november_2012_final
If you're prepared to wait for the new Alesis SamplePad Pro it could provide what you want with up to 32GB of SD sample memory for $300.
It should be good value compared to the Roland SPD-SX with 2GB of internal memory and the Yamaha Multi-12 which is overdue for an upgrade with only 64MB of sample memory.
I've already shared my thoughts about the DTX Multi-12 on the forum so I won't repeat them here - just be aware that some of the preset kits & trigger levels require modifying.

Attachments

• SamplePad Pro 2.jpg
    SamplePad Pro 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
All I know is that the SPD-SX is an awesome tool if you want to load samples.

It comes loaded with percussion samples but I have no Idea what they sound like because I deleted them all to make room for my stuff. You can also hook up 4 external pads to trigger the samples so you have bigger targets to hit.

It aint cheap but it's cool.

Back