Carmine Appice

I am GLAD you fellows liked it...here is another one for you:

Cactus - One Way Or Another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTsHCxrsLCw&feature=related

Thanks brother! Good Good living is an astonishing song...That bass drum really stomps deeply...I love it!

Hi Ian

Loved the links you've put there man, awesome...

One of my favourite from Vanilla Fudge/Carmine Appice is Good Good living.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/carmineappicegoodvanille.mp3

I fully agree and take my hat off in recognition of what the man has done through the years...Carmine has worked and carved his way in heavy drumming and continues...

Ian I saw Carmine play with The Michael Schenker Group in the summer of 2010 and He is still at the top of his game. I as you do hold Carmine in high reguard as to his importance in the style of heavy drumming He is a true pioneer.

My brother M A D has nailed his - surname - dead right...That's the correct way to pronounce it a la Italian!

I remember as a kid working through realistic rock in the basement on a second hand raven drumkit with a garbage can lid like cymbal.

The one thing that I hope to determine here which is still a mystery to me after all this time is this:

What exactly is the correct way to pronounce his last name?

Exactly right! due to his Italian background...Carmine is The Godfather of heavy drumming.

A - PEACH - CHEY.... if you get the meaning of it...

I think that Carmine Appice should be in Modern Drummer magazine's Drum Hall of Fame. He should have been in there ten years ago. He is one of the best rock drummers of all time. He is more talented on drums than Bonham was. Appice was more technical than Bonham and had more chops. Appice is good at double bass. Powerful. Good triplets. Played funky beats. Ghost strokes. Plays in odd time. He seems to be able to play a lot of styles. Very good soloist. He played excellent on the BBA album from 1973. Some of that stuff was proggy and funky. He's basically a legendary drummer and clinician and teacher and goodwill ambassador for the drums. And he claims he came up with the double bass shuffle in '72 and that Cobham and Van Halen took it and made it famous. He didn't seem bitter about it. He's better than his brother, Vinny. Vinny is good at hard hitting rock/metal. Carmine also claims that he used the first gong in rock and he invented the hi-hat anchor to hold the hi-hat onto the bass drum. Interesting.

I agree that Carmine Appice is an amazing drummer who is very underrated, but he didn't do anything to be remembered by the masses. And he is nowhere near John Bonham, no rock drummer is. So if you really care write Modern Drummer but I'd rather just know hes good instead of following lists.

He deveop a great entry level rock drum book....very early,progressive and well written. Great player and educator. Denis

I agree that Carmine Appice is an amazing drummer who is very underrated, but he didn't do anything to be remembered by the masses. And he is nowhere near John Bonham, no rock drummer is. So if you really care write Modern Drummer but I'd rather just know hes good instead of following lists.

Agreed. That and he looks like some worn out drag queen with his signature mustache and goofy hair.

Playing wise, I tend to agree. Vanilla Fudge were never that popular and were short lived. His tenure with Jeff Beck was short. He toured with Ozzy, but never recorded with him. King Kobra was never big and would have been forgotten had Carmine not been featured

On the flip side, he wrote THE #1 rock book that millions of drummers used as their first

And he co-wrote two top 10 hits with Rod Stewart that are very memorable.

The odd part is the 2nd hit, "Young Turks", featured a drum machine rather than Carmine's drumming.

I used his book myself as my first main book, but I don't consider drummers the masses.

I think that Carmine Appice should be in Modern Drummer magazine's Drum Hall of Fame. He should have been in there ten years ago. He is one of the best rock drummers of all time. He is more talented on drums than Bonham was. Appice was more technical than Bonham and had more chops. Appice is good at double bass. Powerful. Good triplets. Played funky beats. Ghost strokes. Plays in odd time. He seems to be able to play a lot of styles. Very good soloist. He played excellent on the BBA album from 1973. Some of that stuff was proggy and funky. He's basically a legendary drummer and clinician and teacher and goodwill ambassador for the drums. And he claims he came up with the double bass shuffle in '72 and that Cobham and Van Halen took it and made it famous. He didn't seem bitter about it. He's better than his brother, Vinny. Vinny is good at hard hitting rock/metal. Carmine also claims that he used the first gong in rock and he invented the hi-hat anchor to hold the hi-hat onto the bass drum. Interesting.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Carmine Appice!

:)

Carmine was a big influence on me back in the late 60's/early 70's...(giving away my age here)....and i stole a lot of his licks in my drum solos back in the day. he deserves his due!!!!

I knew that none of you guys would take me seriously. Your loss not mine. I know the truth. Somebody said on here: "And he is nowhere near Bonham, no rock drummer is". Appice could out-drum Bonham any day of the week, and this is coming from a big Bonham fan. I love Bonham and he is one of the best rock drummers EVER, but there are a few guys who were better. Sorry. That's a fact. Mick Tucker(R.I.P.) and Brian Downey are are Bonham's level too, but you never hear anything about them. B.S. I say! Ian Paice is better than Bonham, but a totally different style. One more thing to add and then I'm off my rant. Appice is a survivor. That's more than you can say of Bonham. Yeah, let's drink 40 shots of vodka in one day. Sounds like a brilliant idea. What a waste. Take care. Later.

Guys, what's this, an internet drum battle by the giants of rock's drummer's drummer?

C'mon, who are we to judge and say that marmelade is better than strawberry jam for breakfeast, it's all subjective and a matter of taste isn't it?

All these guys, Carmine Appice, John Bonham, Ian Paice, Cozy Powell, Bill Ward, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell and many many more are all great living or missed legends in their own right, and they all brought some magic into rock'n'roll history, I love all of them, some were in bands which had more popularity than others, but they're all magnificient drummers :)

Just my 2c for what it's worth :)

I knew that none of you guys would take me seriously. Your loss not mine. I know the truth ....... Ian Paice is better than Bonham, but a totally different style. ....... my rant. Appice is a survivor. That's more than you can say of Bonham. Yeah, let's drink 40 shots of vodka in one day. Sounds like a brilliant idea. What a waste. Take care. Later.

Sounds like just total troll words to me. 6 years on the forum ... and 48 posts .... hmmmm.​

Just goes to show everyone has their ups & downs...

Indeed. I've met him twice, and both times he was cool. I new a guitar player, who was in King Kobra, and he always had positive things to say, about Carmine (never a bad word).​

Hey Guys.
I'm revisiting some of my old posts. I'm very sorry if I came off sounding like a jerk. I just got too emotional with this one. I'll explain myself. I just got mad because it seems like everyone out there always bashes Appice. It seems that everyone acts like he's an amateur who deserves no respect. I don't see it that way. In my personal opinion I just think Appice is somewhat underrated. I think he's very talented on the drums and he's done a lot for the drums over the years. He's very funky for being a "whiteboy"(no disrespect intended). I still think Modern Drummer should put him in their "Drum Hall Of Fame". For the last fourteen years or so, it seems like they have been putting in all of the famous rock drummers from the 60's and 70's that they did not put in the hall of fame in the 80's and 90's. Appice is a famous and influential drummer from that era, that's why I'm surprised he's not in yet. That being said, I'm sure that M.D. would never put in Bill Ward, Ian Paice or Aynsley Dunbar(three other rock heavyweights from that era).

And I meant no disrespect to John Bonham. I respect the hell out of him on drums. He's been one of my influences. Awesome right foot! He was definitely groundbreaking and revolutionary on drums. Major respect from me. I just feel that there were some other drummers from his era that were more technical and talented on drums than he was.

I agree with you guys that it is kind of annoying that Appice seems like he's a "drum endorsement slut" or whatever the term is. But I bet that he's got some amazing gear stored away from all his years playing professional drums. Take care. Later.

Back