Is Ludwig Classic Maple tom's sound always vintage?

Sorry if there was any similar thread before.

I like this kit, it comes with stock heads, but I'm wondering if it's just me or the sound is really always vintage to everyone's ears. It sounds like "thonk, thonk" on the tom instead of "thoom, thoom" ...... sorry I can't describe what I mean "vintage" here, hope you understand what I mean :)

Can I change that "vintage" sound to "thoom" by replacing the head with an oiled double layer such as Pinstripe or Genera G2 for example? Or do you have any suggestion on other heads? I'm not saying the "vintage" sound isn't good, just wondering if I can get another sound from this Luddy.

If you use a single-ply batter, that's your best shot of getting a "thoom" sound. I recognize the "thonk" sound because I quite favor that vintage Ludwig sound. Using a double-ply or muffled head will just cut down on the "thoom" sound. Check the bearing edges...that's your indicator of what the drum will sound like: sharp = thoom, rounded or flat = thonk.

People typically buy Ludwigs because they like that particular sound, people who like the Gretsch sound buy Gretschs, and so on. If you would prefer a different sound, then you should probably get a different kit from a different brand, or if you really want to keep the kit, have the edges re-cut.

I *think* I know what you mean by "vintage" sounding. I play Ludwig Super Classics; not much difference in the shell there), and while I can make them sound kind of "thuddy", that's not how I tune them. You're right in thinking changing up the heads will change the sound a decent bit. The bottom head has a lot to do with that too, so don't overlook it.

Modern Ludwig shells like the Classic Maples have fairly sharp bearing edges and thicker shells and will easily provide the "thoom" sound.

It's the vintage Ludwig drums and the new "Legacy Classics" that have the rounded bearing edge and the "bonk or thonk" sound.

Your "problem" lies in the stock heads from Ludwig. While I love their drums, their heads suck. Any modern single (or double) ply clear head from one of the Big 3 manufacturers ought to bring you closer to your desired sound.

If you use a single-ply batter, that's your best shot of getting a "thoom" sound. I recognize the "thonk" sound because I quite favor that vintage Ludwig sound. Using a double-ply or muffled head will just cut down on the "thoom" sound. Check the bearing edges...that's your indicator of what the drum will sound like: sharp = thoom, rounded or flat = thonk.

People typically buy Ludwigs because they like that particular sound, people who like the Gretsch sound buy Gretschs, and so on. If you would prefer a different sound, then you should probably get a different kit from a different brand, or if you really want to keep the kit, have the edges re-cut.
That's all you need to know, right there! Spot on the money.

You're right. I didn't notice that the bearing edges are actually rounded, which is the case of the "vintage" version (while the modern version has sharp angled bearing edges like Sqadan said). It can be inferred that the "vintage" sound comes from the rounded edge and the Ludwig stock head too.

Of course I'm not going to recut the edges, if it isn't done very properly the result will be terrible. I can live with that "vintage" sound, I just need to modify it a bit with Remo heads (this must be one of Andy@MIT's "big 3"), of course including the resos too.

Thanks for the info, guys. It helps a lot.

Question for you though, when you play your drums with a band in a loud setting, do you even notice that the drums are thonking as opposed to thooming? On the last rare occasion that I played in a band setting, I didn't notice those beautiful tones from my drums that I marvel at in my home in a quiet room. I was just wanting to cut through the din of everybody else, and was happy they did so!

You're right. I didn't notice that the bearing edges are actually rounded, which is the case of the "vintage" version (while the modern version has sharp angled bearing edges like Sqadan said). It can be inferred that the "vintage" sound comes from the rounded edge and the Ludwig stock head too.

Of course I'm not going to recut the edges, if it isn't done very properly the result will be terrible. I can live with that "vintage" sound, I just need to modify it a bit with Remo heads (this must be one of Andy@MIT's "big 3"), of course including the resos too.

Thanks for the info, guys. It helps a lot.

I recently purchased a new Ludwig Legacy Classic kit because I wanted the vintage sound. I was so certain I wouldn't want the stock heads that I had already purchased replacements before the drums were built. When the kit came in, I tuned the heads and gave them a go. I was really surprised that I liked the tone. The floor toms sound the best of any kit I've owned. I had to work on the rack tom tuning to get it where I wanted, but it doesn't "thonk". The rounded bearing edge makes the decay quicker, but it still sounds full. I did try a coated Emperor on the rack tom and at lower tunings, it did make a "thonk" sound. I recommend single ply heads for these drums if you're tuning toward the lower range. The Ludwig heads that came with the kit are coated single ply heavy-weight.

I also have a Centennial kit which has dual 45 bearing edges and I hated the ludwig heads on that kit.

Back