Recommend some good modern jazz

kettles

Gold Member
I'm really digging Avishai Cohen Trio, especially the song Eleven Wives. Listened to a bit of the Bad Plus, Anthem for the Earnest is a cool song but I'm not into the songs that are all spazzy and random.

Got any ideas?

Yeah, the Bad Plus is good stuff. If you aren't into their "spazzy" stuff, check out some of their covers. Also, check out Chris Potter.
The albums I have experience with are Lift and Underground. They are really fun to listen to. I guess Chris Potter is less random and a tad more traditional, but definitely still modern jazz.

I'm a big fan of the Wasilewski Trio too. Check out other ECM-recordings as well: Tomasz Stanko Quartet, Tord Gustavsen Trio and Quintet, older releases by Peter Erskine on ECM are worth a listen too. I recently also discovered Kyle Eastwood (yes, the son of..), especially his 2009 album "Metropolitain".
Dutch

Jazz is a new tng for me, I always liked early Miles and some Louis, but most jazz has been a lost cause to my ears. I enjoy some of the lighter stuff, like Madeleine Peyroux, but I have been searching for something with a bit of angst in it.
These days, Ive been enjoying Robert Glasper (experiment, more than trio), Gretchen Parlato, Christian Scott and Ben Williams Sound Effect.

Check out Bill Bruford and Tony Levin's album "Upper Extremities" It's jazzy.

Don't forget trumpet phenomenon Christian Scott. His first album "Rewind That" is more on the fusion side, but the drumming of Thomas Pridgen on it will keep you inspired for months. Just a killer!

His later two albums are more traditionally-contemporary at the same time. For serious listening.

Bohren & der Club of Gore are an excellent ambient jazz group, check out their album Black Earth, it's cool as.

Another chilled jazz group is the Hidden Orchestra, they use two drummers and flit between a number of styles, all with jazz as the backbone.

Just remembered a very hot modern fusion band - Tribal Tech. Strong Weather Report and Alan Holdsworth influences. Their drummer is super-quick and precise. Lots of vids on YouTube.

Back