Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

Purdie is one of my top 5 drum-heroes for sure! I had the chance to watch a show of his trio "The Godfathers of Groove" here in Brazil this year and it was absolutely awesome! Great drum class, learned more than in one month of studying... I even got to know him and took a picture with him!:

my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

Bernard Purdie is a drum God. The guy has more groove than any drummer I can even think of. He was so smooth in all of this playing and all of his ghost note work is amazing. He is one drummer that I can learn something from everytime I watch him.

I would have more respect for Pretty Purdie....

IF HE DIDN'T PLAY ON THE BEATLES ALBUMNS.

Let's face it, the Beatles were great poets. THEY WERE NOT KICK ASS, TAKE NO PRISONER MUSICIANS.

Ringo Starr is like Don Brewer - Garage band drummers. Nothing more and nothing less. Name me 5 complicated grooves from Ringo. Now name me 5 grooves from Jabo Starks, David Garibaldi, Jeff Pocaro, Steve Gadd, etc. Get the point?

If BP said he played on James Brown ablumns that actually had ground breaking new grooves then we would have something to talk about. But the Beatles? No drummer ear candy comes from Ringo.

jason

Re: I would have more respect for Pretty Purdie....

IF HE DIDN'T PLAY ON THE BEATLES ALBUMNS.

Let's face it, the Beatles were great poets. THEY WERE NOT KICK ASS, TAKE NO PRISONER MUSICIANS.

Ringo Starr is like Don Brewer - Garage band drummers. Nothing more and nothing less. Name me 5 complicated grooves from Ringo. Now name me 5 grooves from Jabo Starks, David Garibaldi, Jeff Pocaro, Steve Gadd, etc. Get the point?

jason

Old argument is old. Unless you're a lefty playing on a right handed set up I defy to play Ringo's parts 100 % correct without a lot of preparation.

Re: I would have more respect for Pretty Purdie....

Old argument is old. Unless you're a lefty playing on a right handed set up I defy to play Ringo's parts 100 % correct without a lot of preparation.
Even for a lefty on a righty kit, it's hard to mimic Ringo's feel and taste (just a couple of things that personalize a musician's sound) in the context of The Beatles' music.

Bernard Purdie's Gear

Hi drummers
does anybody know what equipment Bernard Pretty Purdie is currently using and/ or where I can find out about that?
Thanks in advance and drumatic greetings from Berlin!
Caught

Last edited:
i find it kind of cool that when purdie got a session gig during the 70's and 80's he used to bring in two giant pieces of cardbord with him and put them either sides of the drums. they said,

"YOU DONE IT"

"YOU HIRED PRETTY PURDIE!"

i find it kind of cool that when purdie got a session gig during the 70's and 80's he used to bring in two giant pieces of cardboard with him and put them either sides of the drums. they said,

"YOU DONE IT"

"YOU HIRED PRETTY PURDIE!"

How amazing it must be to wander through life with that level of confidence. I find that a bit mind-blowing, almost alien.

It surely would play a role in his wonderful playing. At the every least it would put pressure on him to produce. How embarrassing to engage in such a wankfest and do a sucky session!

Spending a day inside BP's head would be quite a ride - you'd never be the same again :)

How amazing it must be to wander through life with that level of confidence. I find that a bit mind-blowing, almost alien.

It surely would play a role in his wonderful playing. At the every least it would put pressure on him to produce. How embarrassing to engage in such a wankfest and do a sucky session!

Spending a day inside BP's head would be quite a ride - you'd never be the same again :)

definatly! he was pretty good though, no? :)

this guy needs more love. i mean come on. the shuffle. the guy exuded confidence, almost to the extreme. i try and model myself on him. the guy is a studio god.
i need to get a lesson from him sometime, even just to spend some time and learn the business from him would be amazing.

Back