Yamaha kit: oddball sized bags needed

Dave Labrecque

I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute 5-piece kit from the early 2000's. No brand of drum bags seems to have sizes that coincide with my drums' dimensions. Yamaha's own bags for this kit appear to be discontinued. This is my first attempt at buying drum bags. Any words of wisdom on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched the forum for drum bag info, but nothing specific to matching up bags with this particular kit presented itself.

Many thanks,

Dave "it's a dry heat" Labrecque
Tucson, Arizona

I found that this site had a very full selection. I recently ordered five bags from them for my unusual sized Tama Stagestar.
http://www.casesandmore.com/Percussion-Cases-C10398.html
If a standard size bag of case doesn't fit your drum. Buy a case that is the next size larger.
You can get foam padding at a fabric store or craft store, etc. Cut the padding to fill the gap.
My snare is 13 x 5. I ordered a 13 x 5 1/2 bag. That was the closest in size in a standard bag.
If you have to buy cases individually it will cost a bit more than if you buy them in a kit pack.

Last edited:
I found that this site had a very full selection. I recently ordered five bags from them for my unusual sized Tama Stagestar.
http://www.casesandmore.com/Percussion-Cases-C10398.html
If a standard size bag of case doesn't fit your drum. Buy a case that is the next size larger.
You can get foam padding at a fabric store or craft store, etc. Cut the padding to fill the gap.
My snare is 13 x 5. I ordered a 13 x 5 1/2 bag. That was the closest in size in a standard bag.
If you have to buy cases individually it will cost a bit more than if you buy them in a kit pack.

Thanks for the link; I'll take a look.

Yeah, I'd pretty much decided the only other thing I could do was buy 'em a bit over-sized and stuff foam in there to make up the difference. Thanks for validating that idea for me. :^)

I also found these guys, who will let you assemble your own custom set and still get a discount. Unfortunately, they still don't have the exact sizes I need; plus -- they're in Germany. D'oh! Even so, with shipping, the prices don't look too awful bad.

http://www.thomann.de

UPDATE: after some more exhaustive searching, I decided to go ahead and order the bags from Thomann. Even with international shipping and the currency exchange rate, it appears to be the best deal out there (that I could find, anyway). They're Millenium brand drum bags. We'll see how I like 'em.

Had to go with an 18x18 bag for my 16x17 floor tom. Amazing how hard it is to find a bag to fit that puppy. Well, with the legs in place and fully retracted, It's more like 18" in height, so...

Thanks, again, everyone for your input.

Last edited:
Now that I see the sizes of your drums I think that a 16 x16 bag would work for your floor tom. Drum bags are oversized. You should be able to fit that 16 x 17 tom into a
standard bag.
The other day I was in a hurry and I put my 8 x 14 tom into my 8 x 12 bag before I realized what I had done! That drum is two inches larger in dia and it fit!
All of my drum bags are at least an inch taller than my drums also.

Last edited:
Now that I see the sizes of your drums I think that a 16 x16 bag would work for your floor tom. Drum bags are oversized. You should be able to fit that 16 x 17 tom into a standard bag.

The other day I was in a hurry and I put my 8 x 14 tom into my 8 x 12 bag before I realized what I had done! That drum is two inches larger in dia and it fit!
All of my drum bags are at least an inch taller than my drums also.

Hmmm... makes me wonder if I should change the two tom bags, too. (each an inch larger in diameter in order to get the height right) And the snare bag, too. (it's .5 higher than the snare drum)

Note that the sizes I listed are head diam. x height. Looks like that's not the way it's usually specified (I think you're doing it the "right" way).

There is no specific way to state drum dimensions. Most manufactures put depth first. I don't know why! I would prefer diameter first. I got used to writing it the way that most drum descriptions do.

I would call the co that you are going to buy from and ask them if your drums will fit in their bags. They should know.
The bags that I bought were made by Galaxy. They fit loose on all of my drums.
I have a two inch riser mounted to the rim of my 18 inch diameter bass drum so that I can get a standard size pedal to hit the center of the head. It fits in the bag with ease.

Also, I was mistaken, I bought the Galaxy bags from this site. http://www.drumsetc.com/index.asp
I bought a hardware bag from the other site that I mentioned.

Last edited:
I think you miscalculate the sizes (if I look in the catalogs from the Absolute series)

This should be better:

Kick 22 x 16 (or 18 but the standard shell packs come with 16 deep kicks)
Snare 14 x 5,5 (or 6,5)
Tom1 12 x 8 (or 9)
Tom2 13 x 9 (or 10)
FTom 16 x 16 (no toms where made in the the 16x15 sizes back then. Thats something they did more frequently on the PHX)

This is what generally called the standard or fusion size.

It could be even possible that its a 10',12'', 16'' config. The 13'' as standard shellpack size hasn't been used for a very long time (the last times only in the starter sets like the Rock N Road)

Back