Fat Crack

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
i like the crack of Charlie Watt's snare on the intro to "Tumbling Dice", but it's very thin.

can anyone recommend a snare head that will give me the fullness of Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" with the crack of Charlie's "Tumbling Dice" snare ?

thanks.

What snare are you playing and what heads does it currently have on it?

2008 Imperialstar. for heads i'm using stock reso with:

Black X - love the crack, but it dies away quickly (after a coupla days) or

Clear Ambassador - nice and fat but kinda tank / tub tone which i hate.

sometimes i use the Ambassador as reso for the Black X which is quite fat, but very rubber-y in addition to tank / tub-like and NO crack.

maybe the tank tub tone is coming from my snare drum itself. with the Clear Ambassador as batter head, it sounds exactly like the Michael Jackson - "Rock With You" intro.

would new snare wires help in any way, or are they over-rated ?

2008 Imperialstar. for heads i'm using stock reso with:

Black X - love the crack, but it dies away quickly (after a coupla days) or

Clear Ambassador - nice and fat but kinda tank / tub tone which i hate.

sometimes i use the Ambassador as reso for the Black X which is quite fat, but very rubber-y in addition to tank / tub-like and NO crack.

maybe the tank tub tone is coming from my snare drum itself. with the Clear Ambassador as batter head, it sounds exactly like the Michael Jackson - "Rock With You" intro.

would new snare wires help in any way, or are they over-rated ?

Try a standard coated ambassador or emperor over a snare side ambassador (Evans coated G1 or G2 over a snare side Hazy 300). Wires certainly aren't over rated, but I'd do the head swap first.

Try a standard coated ambassador or emperor over a snare side ambassador (Evans coated G1 or G2 over a snare side Hazy 300). Wires certainly aren't over rated, but I'd do the head swap first.

thanks. both of those are on my list. i was not hip to the Evanses though.

any thoughts on the Power Stroke 3, Controlled Sound or EC2 or 1 ?

what changes might i experience with different snare wires ?

thanks. both of those are on my list. i was not hip to the Evanses though.

any thoughts on the Power Stroke 3, Controlled Sound or EC2 or 1 ?

what changes might i experience with different snare wires ?

Personally, I'd try the ambs or emps first (ambs will certainly help you judge the tone of your drum). It's not that I don't like the other heads....it's just that the pre-muffled heads can tend to kill the natural overtones of the drum. I tend to feel that an amb or emp plus good tuning will give you the sound you're after.

New wires CAN help to 'liven' the snares up and can certainly assist in more articulation. Whilst I've not heard your drum, I'm leaning towards head selection being the issue and as such, they'd be the first thing I'd experiment with though.

Personally, I'd try the ambs or emps first (ambs will certainly help you judge the tone of your drum). It's not that I don't like the other heads....it's just that the pre-muffled heads can tend to kill the natural overtones of the drum. I tend to feel that an amb or emp plus good tuning will give you the sound you're after.

New wires CAN help to 'liven' the snares up and can certainly assist in more articulation. Whilst I've not heard your drum, I'm leaning towards head selection being the issue and as such, they'd be the first thing I'd experiment with though.

thanks so much. i like a deader tone low tuned. some call it boxy. i call it thunder. : )

Back