John Favicchia here

Hey just got back from one of your clinics at a Sam Ash, just wanted to say it was great! Gave me a chance to hear some great playing and give me some new ideas for things to practice and ways to approach things. Thanks for the great clinic!

John,

Thanks again for the great clinic. Great playing, lots of learning and lots of useful ideas. And I even won a prize!!! Thanks also to Lou and the guys at Sam Ash, Huntington. It was a great time.

Ken

Last edited:
Hey Ken-

Thanks for the nice words regarding my clinic. It was great to see you . I enjoyed the clinic. It was great to have some many drummers be part of the conversation and hopefully leave with some helpful info. I thought I played well and Lou does a great job there at Sam Ash Huntington. If you get a chance send a note to Vic Firth & Sabian. Thanks!! [email protected] [email protected]

Just posted a New drum lesson vid on youtube

Keep in touch!!

John

www.johnfav.com

Re: Some new vids up

Nice stuff, I just linked to one of your videos on another thread. Great sounding drums!

Re: Some new vids up

excellent playing! what kind of snare drum is that? it sounds awesome, kind of sound im looking for

No problem John.

I'm getting my clave going:) I kind of scribbled down those Afro-Cuban books you recommended. Could you tell me what they were again?

I'm looking forward to seeing the band when you guys come to Piccolo's in Huntington on the 26th of March.

Re: John Favicchia Drum Clinic Review

Jeff,

I couldn't believe the list when John said he was at the LIDC back in the day with Jim Chapin, Al Miller, Frank Bellucci, Bobby Rondinelli and Dom Famularo. I was thinking, that's not a faculty, that's a drum summit.

Ken

thanks John,

You know, when I first saw your grid, it took me back to HS trig and combinations. So the total number of combinations possible from the grid in 4/4 time would be 2 to the 16th power , if I am correct, 0's and I's, if each 16th note is on or off. If you take just the rhythmic ideas created by the potential of the grid, you can multiple that by accented v unaccented notes and the number of drums you have, which should begin to give you a good idea of the number of possibilities the grid creates.

2 to the 16th power X ( 2 ) X the number of drums you have to that power. (if you have 6 drums it is 6 to the 6th power, add cymbals the number could easily be 15-20.)

then on to thirty second notes . :)

and then onto poly-rhythm . . .

The drums are so easy to play. Once you get four part independence, you add the musicality of dynamics and the drums or cymbals you are on and you see quickly that it goes far beyond your four limbs and the potential becomes quite staggering.

Back