Phil Collins

On "In the air tonight" are those concert Toms? How many did he have. I would like to attempt this song and have 3 toms is that enough

nhzoso said:
On "In the air tonight" are those concert Toms? How many did he have. I would like to attempt this song and have 3 toms is that enough

His standard stage setup. 4 mounted and 2 floor. A doublet on all 4 mounteds and a single on each floor. It can be done with less but the variety suffers

Re: All Phil weekend at MLGC Now Playing

NOW PLAYING
This weekend at Meek's Live Genesis Cafe . It will be all Phil Collins weekend! Should be some fun mate! We'll hear concert material from 85 up, Demos, Rehearsals, Sounchecks and More! I will span Phil's musical career from Flaming Youth, Brand X till the present. This show will air Friday and through the weekend! Thanks for supporting Meek's Live Genesis Cafe.
Meek
http://meekscafe.com

Philly Joe said:
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=30

At the "download(stream)free jazz\rock fusion mp3" section listen to "Brand X (unorthodox behaviour 1976)Nuclear Burn" to hear some of Collins fusion playing.

ah, you beat me to the punch!

nuclear burn is one of the most killing tunes (overall, not just the drums) ever made. brand x was a great band, and phil is astonishing on those albums. blazingly fast, and extremely creative playing. i liked his stuff with genesis, and much of his solo stuff, too, but imho, brand x is where he really shines.

i checked him out several years back at carnegie hall [or radio city? can't remember now], doing the big band thing, and was pretty disappointed. i expected him to really throw down, but it was more of a yuppie gig to help promote a new discover card. the music was all very tame rehashings of genesis and solo phil stuff, and the whole event had no energy whatsoever. a huge waste of 80 clams. i know phil can propell a big band, so i definitely felt gypped.

Check out Phils Drumming on 'Colony of Slippermen' from 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' LP from 1974, I think it's on the 2nd verse where the beat he plays is nothing short of dazzling!

The sound of his toms on that LP is also remarkable.

His sound inspired me so much,the let's say more eighties stuff,the gated drums !

In the air tonight: oh my gohhh
Mama : oh myyyyyyyyyyyy
I know there's something going on: goody goody oh my
Easy lover : yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Also the snare sound on TLLDOB from Genesis is simply great!

Phil Collins has an official website and Forum which he occasionally posts on to...

www.philcollins.co.uk Phil has been asked about the Led Zepplin thing and you'll have to have alook for the answer its very interesting.... Two sides to a story folks ?

Phil is a remarkable drummer, and a great session musician, His list is endless, and his ability to learn a style is fantastic....

1968 - 1969 Flaming Youth

1970 to 1996 Genesis Although rumoured to be coming back in 2007 !!

Brand X 1975 to 1982

Jazz Big Band 1996 and 1998 respectivly.....

He has also played sessions for,

Thin Lizzy, Eric Clapton, Phil Bailey amongst many others !

His first all vocal concert for Genesis was in London Ontario Canada in March 1976 on the Trick on the tail tour....

Phil has used, Gretsch, Premier, Pearl, Simmons, Roland, Zildjian and Saibian gear !!!

Hope that helps some of you

Mark K

Phil Collins has achieve a very rare thing: The PERFECT balance between technique and feel!
When He plays...there is nothing else like Him...just awesome!

Phil Collins does not play drums...He gives them life and makes them sing!

Phildas

PS: As drummers, if you are interested to check out a little tribute I did to Master drummer Phil Collins, for children's charity Children In Need, go to www.ultimatephilcollinstribute.com

Have a great day!

because of his compositional skills,he may get overlooked as a fine drummer.gotta admit some of his sappy ballads from the 80's made me cringe! but "genesis live" and his work with brand x is where he really displays his chops.

Turn it on again and Inside out are a couple of my all-time favorites songs to play to ever...

I can just feel the energy going thru my veins.....

I don't know a whole lot about Collins, but what I do know is that he is an excellent musician. Among all the great tracks already listed, the work he did with Robert Plant is some very fine drumming too. "Worse Than Detroit" is really a groove that could be considered "signature" (IMO) - not a trivial groove and feel to pull off.

When Peter Gabriel left Genesis they really didn't need a new vocalist because Phil Collins' drumming is good enough to be the voice of that band.

One of the things I love about Phil's playing is his own style of ghost notes. It's very buzz-stroke oriented sound that is often done before the bass drum. It has this cool effect where there's a mini buzz roll filling in the groove that I've never heard anyone else do.

Not to mention his song writing skills, ugh. Too much talent for one man.

Anybody else likes his drumming on Dodo/Lurker from Abacab ? Power and finesse, intelligent fills, fat backbeat… Much heavier feel than his early Genesis intricate work, yet equally efficient

Kinda funny, I aspire to be many things in drumming. Metal, Jazz, Rock, Funk, I love it all but Collins is just so incredible regardless of what I'm trying to do I like to look to him for inspiration.

I love practicing along with Phil Collins on the Genesis CDs Selling England By The Pound,Foxtrot,Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering; I also like playing along with the odd songs like Twilight Alehouse and The Knife.I am surprised that I can play a reasonable facsimile of his style considering how hard it initially sounds. I think Collins is one of those drummers that makes the Simple sound Complex and the Complex sound Simple with many elements of surprise.I am not a fan of his solo work simply because it lacks soul and so does the rather boring cymbal-less drumming that accompanies it,but he's still one of the All-Time Greats...

I don't think Phil Collins was the drummer on the very first Genesis CD; when sour turns sweat. And some of Trespass as well. Anyway I grew up listenning to all Phil Collins' stuff in Genesis and Brand X and learned a lot of my drumming through him and style as well. He's in my main drumming influence between John Bonham and the unknown Aaron Gillespie(who is the drummerworld's wich list and I can't wait to see him officially see as a great drummer). Like Phil Collins he's a drummer-singer and I am too in my band. I would like to be a front man as a like to play drums. And phil Collins is that singer drumming inspiration for me as is a great arranger of song. He built great ideas with is drumming I will praise him within his own work because Idon't think a professional drummer like him is good to do covers. He's at first a creator and can't do otherway, so playing with Led Zep was to me something attractive being both high in my list but putting them together is just a bad idea it's not fitting at all. Bonham has that way of playing the led zep song so well, it needs more genius to knows what not to play and what to play the right way at the right and making it sound different. Phil Collins has done that with genesis and was a great arranger for his solo stuff. Bonham was the best for a hard rock band like Led Zep. And Aaron Gillespie, like his idol Dave Grohl, who stepped out from behind his drum kit to capture the rock world’s hearts as one of the genre’s most visible frontmen, just did with his pop project The Almost. He played every single instrument on the album and arranged it all. That's another big influence for me like Phil Collins as not only a personnal own style drummer but also a composer and arranger; a leader. So like Phil Collins in genesis Aaron is also a second singer in Underoath and writer and leader in the way the band sounds and believe me it makes a big difference to his unique drumming style and the way he knows how to play with the song and make it flows. Now enough about Aaron this forum is about Phil Collins but just to say that Phil did it and was the most rewarded front man drummer and I give him credit for that. He's part of my drumming and will always be.

-peace-

David, Montreal.Qc

probably a very old topic though Id like to leave some comments here...

His setup is still concert toms and I believe Gretsch makes them only on request now (with phil as one of the few customers...)

8PC PHIL COLLINS SET UP
NITRON BLACK (C-5508T) 5 1/2x8 Tom; (C-6510T) 6 1/2x10 Tom; (C-0812T) 8x12 Tom; (C-1215T) 12x15 Tom; (C-1616T) 16x16 Tom; (C-1818T) 18x18 Tom; (C-1420B) 14x20 Bass Drum; (C-04148NS) 4x14 MILLENNIUM MAPLE GLOSS SNARE;

(From the gretsch website...)

He hardly replaces the heads and he uses 5A sticks. Also, he's a very loud drummer so that might be one of the causes for his hearing loss...

Brand X and Genesis sure show how good he is and what this guy is capable of. Dukes travles, dodo, stuff from the lamb lies down on broadway, los endos, dance on a volcano, suppers ready, the musical box (genesis live has an awesome version !), the live versions of firth of fifth (especially the one from the 1992 tour), The in the cage medleys they did in the 80ies, driving the last spike, fading lights... All very good Genesis examples of what this guy is capable of...

The new tour has an awesome setlist with lots of drumming from the man, if you don't have tickets, go get them while some venues are still not sold out...

I don't think Phil botched Live Aid half as bad as PAge and Plant...they did enough on their own..I mean Page looks ....just....sick ........in that perfromance.

Back