Base DRum Cymbal Arm

Django136

I just recently bought a Gibraltar bass drum cymbal arm. Does anyone know how to mount it to the bass drum. Please raply if you do!

Gibraltar makes a few different versions of a bass drum cymbal arm.

You'll have to more specific. Pictures would be best.

Well my kit is HOLY so i dont want to drill holes in it. Don't thay make one that clamps?? I think so.?.?

Well my kit is HOLY so i dont want to drill holes in it. Don't thay make one that clamps?? I think so.?.?

If you don't want to drill....send that back, as you have no option. What prompted you to get that particular model mate?

I wouldn't replace a lug with a cymbal mount either. Even if it was possible and worked (which I very much doubt), I'd rather keep the lugs for their designed purpose....tuning.

As for making a stand that clamps....yes they do, but generally it'll clamp on to your bass drum hoop. They're good for mounting a cowbell or other percussion like wood blocks etc, but personally I'd never mount a cymbal this way....too much weight IMO. A stand is your best bet I'd suggest. Send it back or flog it off.....it's effectively useless to you unless you drill the shell and mount it correctly as it was designed to do.

I wouldn't replace a lug with a cymbal mount either. Even if it was possible and worked (which I very much doubt), I'd rather keep the lugs for their designed purpose....tuning.

Quoted for truth!

As for making a stand that clamps....yes they do, but generally it'll clamp on to your bass drum hoop. They're good for mounting a cowbell or other percussion like wood blocks etc, but personally I'd never mount a cymbal this way....too much weight IMO. A stand is your best bet I'd suggest. Send it back or flog it off.....it's effectively useless to you unless you drill the shell and mount it correctly as it was designed to do.

I think I misused the word 'clamp' I meant something along the lines of

Either this attached to a cymbal arm:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-MC62-MultiClamp?sku=449035

or this:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-CH70-Cymbal-Holder?sku=448039

Both of which have held my 18" cymbals before I got a rack. They are pretty dang sturdy if you tighten them up right!

The one you bought requires drilling two holes in the bass drum to mount the arm. Or it can be used in a floor tom conversion kit, but putting it in one of the leg mounts. I am looking for a used one myself to put on my conversion kit.

Will it make the bass drum sound any different when you drill the holes in it and put the cymbal arm on there. If it dosen't then ill use it. I'm also looking for a Ludwig rail-consolette tom mount. They must be very vintage and rare because I can hardly ever find one. There may be a few on ebay but their too high priced!

Back in the day....everything was shell mounted. If it makes a difference, it would be minimal I'd suggest. That said, there's gotta be a reason above just good marketing, that have seen RIMS or other like mounts become the norm though....even on entry level kits.

Careful with any drilling though hey. If in doubt, I still suggest just mounting your cymbal on a tried and tested cymbal stand.

Try any Ludwig dealer for the rail mount. They are still available to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Mounting the ride on the bass drum will not adversely affect the sound at all.

The mount "usually" goes centered on the depth of the shell, centered between the lugs above and below it.

You will need to take both heads off, and take the two lugs at the batter side off to make accurate measurements.
Use a new drill bit, and don't drill the holes much larger than needed to accept the mount.
Some mounts have "nibs'" that are below the mount, some have the screw receiver flush.
Use masking or painters blue tape in the area you are drilling and use a metal straight edge (looks like an L) to make your centering line and measure for the hole spacing where you want it to go.

Make your hole marks and use something to indent the spot where the hole is so you have a good starting spot to set the drill bit in (an Awl or punch works great)--you don't want the bit to slide.

It's not a huge ordeal, but you do need to measure and make sure it's where you want it before you drill.
If you can, clamp a block of wood inside too, so you don't "blow out" the inner ply of wood.

Ludwig offers new rail mounts, & DW's rail mount is nice as well.

Good luck.

It's not a huge ordeal, but you do need to measure and make sure it's where you want it before you drill.
If you can, clamp a block of wood inside too, so you don't "blow out" the inner ply of wood.

Karl this is a great detail. Hold something, a block of wood inside so as not to splinter the inside ply. Great detail indeed, and I didn't mean to be redundant but this is so important.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the replys you all really helped I put it on the bass drum and it works perfect.

Sorry to jack this thread...but, I want to mount a cymbal stand to my bass drum, but the old cheapo retro way....what I mean is, I used to have a set a long time ago that had the cymbal mount On the Bass Drum, but the cymbal arm was straight up and down and it retracted into the shell...straight down....unscrew the wing nut, slide the arm up to desired height and voila there you go...

But I cant this anywhere....prbably cuz no one liked the idea.

anyone seen this or know what I mean??? or know what parts I would need to make it work?

thanks, Tim N.

Sorry to jack this thread...but, I want to mount a cymbal stand to my bass drum, but the old cheapo retro way....what I mean is, I used to have a set a long time ago that had the cymbal mount On the Bass Drum, but the cymbal arm was straight up and down and it retracted into the shell...straight down....unscrew the wing nut, slide the arm up to desired height and voila there you go...

But I cant this anywhere....prbably cuz no one liked the idea.

anyone seen this or know what I mean??? or know what parts I would need to make it work?

thanks, Tim N.

I remember the retractable cymbal arm on on old 60's Premier kit I learned to play on. Try an internet search on vinatge drum parts. I know Ludwig still offer the older style rail consols etc. Perhaps Premier still offer vintage parts as well?

thanks!

the search continues....

maybe I should try and build it from scratch misc Gibraltar parts.....??

:)

If I'm thinking what you're thinking...

You could use a bass drum spur mount from one of the "intermediate" retractable "goes strait in the bass drum" type, and then use a top tube with a tilter from a light weight cymbal stand.

Something like these:

http://www.drummaker.net/1-800-NEW-DRUM/www.drummaker.com/FMPro?-db=dm_products.fp5&-format=detailpop.htm&-lay=cgi&-sortfield=name&Category=BD%20Spurs&-max=15&-recid=32959&-token.0=14537347&-find=

These use a 9.5 mm rod, and most lighter top sections are 1/2", but it's not hard to pop off a tilter and put it on a smaller rod.
You might just need a spacer, and those are CHEAP at a hardware store.
Then all you'll need is some GOOD metal epoxy and you'll be set. Devcon 2 ton Metal epoxy is what I always use for any gadgets I've made. It WILL hold, and it's easy to use.

The only reason I can see NOT to use this kind of mount is the cymbal arm is going away from you, and not straight up and down. But, if you don't care, this should work.

There's this type too:
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/index.cfm?fa=partsmain&curcat=2&bnd=11&cid=103&sid=453&pid=1534

but I don't know what the rod diam is. These may be able to be mounted to put the rod a little straighter.

Good luck, and post a pic if you do it!

Back