Evans new website.

Garbage? Maybe the blatant discrimination might be a bit much, but the actual website is great. The old one, to say the least, sucked. The only worse drum site is Remo's.

But where did that cool little graph go? That was the best for comparing heads!

Hmmm I like rock... maybe the g2 clears! Wait...I like jazz. They recommend g2 clears!

oh kaaaay....

It is a very dumb potentially confusing and polarizing concept.

Any drum head may be used for any genre. I've seen it done.

Thats exactly what I mean. The old website was great.

The only positive thing is how they now have the Puresound and HQ Percussion sites linked on the left toolbar.
That's about it.

Thanks for all the feedback about our new site...it all helps. Let me address a few comments...

The old site was definitely broken. It operated off a really poor CMS and we struggled daily to get any new content up...especially new products and artists. The new site will give us a lot more flexibility, but you're seeing right now is just phase 1 of the changes. The site is definitely a work in progress.

Regarding the charts...they were impossible to update and weren't understandable by a lot of younger players. From the feedback we got...they were only useful if you have some experience with heads...with ours specifically. That said, we know there's a need for a chart and we've designed something new that we think everyone will like better. We're using the concept on our new displays and the feedback at NAMM was REALLY good. We're going to use these on the site...we just need a little time to work out the details of where they'll reside and how they'll navigate.

Rock vs Jazz/World - You really don't like it?? Our thinking about this was that the two terms were broad enough to capture nearly all the idioms. We did it this way because the way players describe sound is different depending on how the heads are tuned. For example, a G2 Coated has a certain sound when it's tuned low for rock, but that description doesn't make sense to someone who's tuning in an upper register. The new navigation allowed us to create duplicate product records and describe things differently for the different applications.

But I want to hear the truth...let me know if you really don't like the concept. Like I said...it's a work in progress.

Thanks,
Mike

Evans Senior Product Manager

Thanks for all the feedback about our new site...it all helps. Let me address a few comments...

The old site was definitely broken. It operated off a really poor CMS and we struggled daily to get any new content up...especially new products and artists. The new site will give us a lot more flexibility, but you're seeing right now is just phase 1 of the changes. The site is definitely a work in progress.

Regarding the charts...they were impossible to update and weren't understandable by a lot of younger players. From the feedback we got...they were only useful if you have some experience with heads...with ours specifically. That said, we know there's a need for a chart and we've designed something new that we think everyone will like better. We're using the concept on our new displays and the feedback at NAMM was REALLY good. We're going to use these on the site...we just need a little time to work out the details of where they'll reside and how they'll navigate.

Rock vs Jazz/World - You really don't like it?? Our thinking about this was that the two terms were broad enough to capture nearly all the idioms. We did it this way because the way players describe sound is different depending on how the heads are tuned. For example, a G2 Coated has a certain sound when it's tuned low for rock, but that description doesn't make sense to someone who's tuning in an upper register. The new navigation allowed us to create duplicate product records and describe things differently for the different applications.

But I want to hear the truth...let me know if you really don't like the concept. Like I said...it's a work in progress.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for replying...

About the charts: It would be awesome to have them back up! Although I don't know if your marketing department would like this, but what if you had a chart with Evans and Remo and Aquarian on it? Aquarian does something like this on their website, and it really helps you compare. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Mike

Wow. Thank You for replying. I apoligize if you took any of this into offense.

Anyway, I do understand what you say about the chart. The chart was actually my favorite part of the website. The biggest issue I have is the Rock vs. Jazz/World thing. There are so many other possible ways of tuning, it makes it seem like the heads are limited. But as you said. This is phase 1. And my personal views still won't stop me from buying your product.

Thanks again for you time,

Danny

Haha, wow, this is why I don't flagrantly hate on stuff!

Why not? If you sit back and let things happen nothing is going to change. He didn't say,"Oh man you guys are a bunch of idiots". Mike came on here openly telling us what was going on and what the future plans are. Just the fact that they are on this site impresses me.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the info. It says alot about your company when you take the time to respond to complaints and offer to make it better. I think its great that this forum provides a medium for us to vent, give praise, review products etc. Especially when it gets the attention of company reps. Thanks to you to Bernhard.

Thanks for the info Mike,

The navigation is much faster on the new site and overall it is better. But I agree, the Rock-Jazz division seems unnecessary since most of the info is the same regardless of which heading you click on. (I do see a slightly different selection for each, correct?) I think a better way might be to have a recommendation included in each head description.

I put my vote in for the chart. It was a good way to compare how different heads fit in with ones I'm already using. Look forward to the revamp of this.

Although I think the Rock vs Jazz is a lot better way to categorize the heads, what would be a better way? This way, although it may be stretching the line between the two genres, you can easily distinguish what you're going for. You play rock music? Metal? Punk? Click on "Rock." Do you play jazz? World? Classical? Click on "Jazz/World." Same thing for marching/corps. The problem with Remo's current site, and Evan's old site, was that you had to click on "Drum Set heads" before you even chose a genre! This eliminates that step, and it works very well.

Although I think the Rock vs Jazz is a lot better way to categorize the heads, what would be a better way? This way, although it may be stretching the line between the two genres, you can easily distinguish what you're going for.

The problem, as I stated before is that I have seen jazz players use everything with the possible exception of hydrualics. In one French cafe I went to, the drummer did use hydraulics to keep his kit quieter.

Rockers use everything with the exception of the thinnest stuff like J1 etched.

Every genre uses G1 or G2.

There is no rule, except that in general, jazz players like a lighter, more open and sensitive drum head and rockers want a thicker sound, often more durable. 95% of the drumheads are like that.

How timely, I was just checking out the site not 20 minutes ago, it is very busy but the only problem I have is that the site would time out before it would go to my request. I just went directly to the D'ADDARIO site to get the info I wanted.

I was going to post a separate query but since I'm here I was wondering what you do as far as recycling your drum heads, I have quite a few as I tend to experiment quite a bit but when they have played their last, what then. I know that you can make your own e-rings but is there anything else but to chuck them?

Very stange here !
The whole website is blank pages !
Tried with IE7, FF3, Opéra 9 ..

Rock, Jazz, World, Marching, Concert. Did you miss a few?
Mike, thanks for taking the time. I don't think I've seen any other major company take the time.
We will look forward to the progress of the work in progress.

Back