Remo alternative?

If you like the Evans, why not simply get that?

If you like the Evans, why not simply get that?

+1. Remo doesn't make any sort of etched head like the J1s, so just buy the J1s.

I'm not really in the mood to spend money on shipping fees, need to save up money for scholarship apps haha. And the local shop only has G1s and G2s but a much larger Remo selection

I'm not really in the mood to spend money on shipping fees, need to save up money for scholarship apps haha. And the local shop only has G1s and G2s but a much larger Remo selection

Maybe ask if your shop can order some J1s for you. If they stock Evans, the should be able to get some other heads in if you ask.

If for some strange reason they can't, I would just go with the G1. You're a lot better off going with Evans over Remo.

why's that? I've always been a remo fan. I'll move over to Evans if i can find something that sounds like a PS3 batter

keep in mind unless you have the same identical kit the J1's may not sound good on your kit. I would get one and try it on one tom first before I bought and entire set for your kit.

why's that? I've always been a remo fan. I'll move over to Evans if i can find something that sounds like a PS3 batter

You don't have to change every head on your drum set to the same brand. I have heads from all the Big 3 on both of my kits (depending on what snare I use).

If you like a PS3 on your bass drum then stay with that and order Evans J1's for your toms. I have an Evans EQ3 on my Yamaha bass drum and a PS3 on my Gretsch bass drum. I have a mix of other heads on the other drums. It's OK. The drums won't get into fights with each other. :)

The most important issue with head selection is whether it sounds the way you want. Not if the logos on the heads match up.

Jim

@konaboy yeah which is why i posted the link, whichever head generally comes near that sound is what i'm looking for

@shedboyxx yeah, I just want to keep it simple and not mix up brands. And remo has generally been good to me

You should try liking Aquarian, nobody has a good selection or any at all. Musicians friend has no shipping fees, also a bunch of places on Amazon

which aquarian heads have that sound?

I am not aware of any Aquarian head that is comparable to this, if you like them you should just get Evans, Thats one of the main reasons I like Aquarian, mainly for my snares because Remo and Evans don't make anything comparable to what I use in aquarian or my snares.

First of all, amazing playing, assuming that's you in the video. Second of what was the ride on the right?
Now to answer your question - another option from Remo is the Reniassance series - they sound really great, but I have heard that the textured surface may not be the best for brushes. Along with the Fiberskyns, these heads are Remo's answer to trying to replicate the calf skin sound.
I use Aquarian heads, and for jazz I use the Modern Vintage series in Medium weight. They have a very warm sound with the best coating you can get.

@jodgey4 yeah that was me playing, not my kit though. the guy played open handed so he had a vintage 22 A with rivets on the left and I believe a zildjian K dark complex ride? I remember it being a 20 on the right because of him being open handed, and the word complex. Pretty sure it's the same left side ride eric harland used on his jazz heaven vids. Thanks for the kind words man!

In regards to sound I just like the really defined tone those heads had, without the excess overtones. A really open but articulate sound. You'd associate that sound to a calfskin head? What about the new remo vintage a's

Let someone else answer before you listen to me, but the Vintage A's seem to be a hit or miss. The one's I've played have been extremely dead sounding, while others rave about the sound. Many others have also shared my experience, so it seems that there was a point where quality control was an issue. Aquarian has had a similar head, the Super-2, for a while. I have them on all the toms on one of my kits, and the sound is a great combination of what single ply heads and double ply heads have to offer. For a more classic sound, I would personally choose a single ply head, but to each his own.
I think you should be fine with any set of heads you get as long as you can tune well :). Perhaps try getting one of each for a 12" tom or so, and test them one by one until you get the sound you want. It may be expensive, but it's probably worth your while. Best of luck to you!

Yeah! money is just the issue, i'd try every head if i could! I'm just surprised that such a thin head had some of the punch of a 2 ply

Hey guys, last night i played a gig with a guys kit who had evans J1 etched on the toms. I love the sound that they have, smooth and tonal with a nice attack, but not too many overtones. I was wondering which remo head could gain this same sound (particularly on the rack tom). The head was coated.

thank you!

The J1 is media blasted (as opposed to coated) so it should have more overtones than a typical coated drumhead. The reso head and tuning likely have a lot to do with what you were hearing in terms of overtones. My recommendation would be J1's over Genera Resonants to get the brightest possible tone and still maintain the texture of the J1.

If you're ever looking for an alternative to the PS3, check out our EQ4 batter head.

Cheers!

Back