Should I even worry about a double pedal?

joshvibert

I've been playing the drums for 17 years, and always with a single pedal. I've literally played every style except for metal. I can do doubles and triples easily with a single pedal. I'm picking up my new kit either today or tomorrow (whenever Guitar Center calls to tell me it's in) and will be picking up some hardware to go with it. I don't envision ever playing in a metal band, but there's a small part of me that feels like I "should" have and learn to play double bass. I guess it's just peer pressure. Do I need to worry with it, or just keep rocking the single pedal?

Thanks!

There are no rules to learning double pedal. You don't "have" to learn to play a double pedal. If you want to learn double pedal so you can add another element to your playing then i say go for it. If it's because of "peer pressure" or because everybody else is doing it then that is the wrong reasons.

I'm am literally in the exact same boat. I would also like some advice in this area. The only pressure i feel to get a double is from the fact that I can't get a heel-toe thing going, and the non-metal drummers I admire have double pedals and make them feel great. I don't know if I should just get a nicer pedal and practice some heel-toe or give in and get a double...

Double pedals are not just a metal thing. I have been playing for 40 years and just the last couple of years have really focused on my double pedaling. Most of the bands I listen to, RUSH, Alter Bridge, and others all use double pedal. They don't abuse it, but use it tastefully. I think it is an important element to know how to do. I felt like I was lacking something in my drumming ability without it. Even the band I am in now, I will probably not use it lots, but I will use it. Kind of like a China cymbal, or a bell tree. It also helps to make your left leg and foot stronger for the rest of your playing. Don't really see a down side honestly. Plus it is fun :)

I'm am literally in the exact same boat. I would also like some advice in this area. The only pressure i feel to get a double is from the fact that I can't get a heel-toe thing going, and the non-metal drummers I admire have double pedals and make them feel great. I don't know if I should just get a nicer pedal and practice some heel-toe or give in and get a double...

Heel toe? It's not going to replace a double pedal. Double pedal stuff shouldn't be stuff/the sound you can achieve with a single - - no matter what technique you use.
Get a double pedal!

Fox.

A double pedal is a tool, and you can decide whether you want to learn how to use it and incorporate it into your playing. It's like a side-snare, or a cowbell, or a set of windchimes...it can be a nice addition to your kit and playing, but it will take some work to integrate it in a tasteful way...

Don't get one because of peer pressure. That's the last reason a musician, or any artist, should do something. Look, double-pedals are all the rage now. If you don't have a burning desire to use them, don't. Learn some other hip stuff and separate yourself from the masses.

Worry? Heck no. Pick one up because it's fun? why not?
It all depends on what YOU want to do.

I posted this yesterday in a similar thread:

Every argument "for" and "against" double bass pedal is stupid.

You don't need double bass, anything you can do with two feet you can do with one.

Dumb argument, as really good double bass players can prove. Heck, even Gadd owns a double pedal.

So and so didn't use double bass, so neither do I
Ok, fine, if you're doing so-and-so's exact gig. But not many people want a clone. And contrary to popular belief, many well known single bass players experimented with double bass, including John Bonham, Buddy Rich and Tony Williams.

No style of music requires double bass
Perhaps, some bands do, and if you happen to want that gig, you do it or don't get the gig.
Matt Sorum told the story in Modern Drummer how he auditioned for David Lee Roth (when it was a hot gig to get) but couldn't do the double bass as required. Greg Bissonette could, and got the gig. When I moved to LA, the band I did auditioned for and got, required some double bass. Not a lot, but it was a requirement. If couldn't do it, I wasn't getting that gig.

Double bass is a requirement today
Baloney. Sure, some gigs do require it, but far more do not, or don't care.

If you don't learn double bass, you are limiting yourself
Technically, true, but so what. Every drummer has their limitations. Very few guys can specialize in going from an acoustic jazz trio one day, playing on a speed metal record the next, and then do an authentic latin gig on the 3rd day. Many can do it enough to get by, but very few can do it all really well. And even those that can, there is still African drumming, Indian rhythms, hand percussion, symphonic percussion, etc. No one does it all. Everyone has their limits. All the top pros know when it's time to call someone else. So if you don't want to learn double bass, so what.

All those hours you don't practice double bass are probably going toward practicing something else. More power to you.

The beautiful thing about drumming is drumming accepts all kinds, from Papa Jo Jones to Charlie Watts to George Kollias to *insert any name here*.

I got a double bass because of peer pressure as well. I don't regret it, but for the money I guess I could have gotten a really nice single pedal. I find myself going away from the pedal in my current band, it irritates the other guys. But for my other band it suits it. Just depends on your style. That seems to be the general concensus here.

If you're not used to it or your hat style is basic, it'll throw off your whole independent limb zen, but I would guess that after 17 years of playing, you would pretty much have that second nature. I could be wrong though.

Do you have a friend you can borrow one from for a bit? See if it suits you or see if GC will let you try out one on the electric set. Don't spend the money until you are confident it is what you want to do.

i got the double, played the hell out of it for a month or so and got over it, im glad i have it for ostonato applications or accents or a quick blast, but it helped me realize my comfort zone as a player, so its a win for me - get the pedal, you might be surprised at what you learn...

Back